ResetEra sold for $4.5m. Nothing goes to the mods and staff.

SMD

Incredible scenes.

https://news.cision.com/m-o-b-a-network-ab/r/m-o-b-a--network-acquires-resetera-com---one-of-the-world-s-largest-gaming-forums,c3432579

Not gonna link to the Era thread but cerium was making 700k a year in ads and subscriptions and is riding off into the sunset leaving the admins and mods to fend for themselves.

Rllmuk committee needs to up those KPIs...

Just popped onto Resetera and they don't even appear to have any threads about what you'd assume would be quite the topic of interest to their members. Assume they're all getting memory holed as quick as they go up?

50 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The difference in tone between the OP and the press release is quite something.

OP: Nothing will change on the forum, this sale is so cuddly.

Press release: Here’s how we plan to make loads of money from the forum.

Almost like the former owner wants to hide something…

Just now, Dudley said:

In a world where the 100 billion sport of motor racing can't be fucked to pay its safety workers my overton window on this one might be a little shonky.

It still blows my mind that almost all stewards at every level of motorsport are volunteers. I can kind of understand it at your little meet weekends and kids karting etc, but in world championship events where drivers are earning millions it's nuts. 

I didn't realise they offered paid subscriptions like here until I read it in the press release included as one of the things they think is going to make them cash, in addition to rubbing their hand together going look how much we can bilk these fools for if we up various streams of ad revenue to the Nth dgree.

https://www.resetera.com/pages/membership/

Looking at it the main 'benefit' is removing ads. But since it takes about 30 seconds to download a free ad blocker that strips the site of them anyway, I'd imagine the vast majority of people paying that are doing it because of the second point they list, like here.

Directly support the community you love

Wonder how mamy of them will continue doing that to increase the dividends for MOBA Network PLC shareholders. I suspect subscribers/donors here would plummet if the committee flogged off the forum to TalkTalk or someone.

2 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Looking at it the main 'benefit' is removing ads. But since it takes about 30 seconds to download a free ad blocker that strips the site of them anyway, I'd imagine the vast majority of people paying that are doing it because of the second point, like here.

Depends how it is setup. I know on AVForums they can tell if you are using an adblocker and they will ban your account until you whitelist them. 

1 minute ago, Dudley said:

In a world where the 100 billion sport of motor racing can't be fucked to pay its safety workers my overton window on this one might be a little shonky.

See also cheerleaders, though they do get opportunities to earn merch and modelling contracts etc, the training and actual cheerleading I believe is largely unpaid.

15 minutes ago, Girth Certificate said:

lol, I bet the incel neogaf guy is raging

He was offered $10m years ago for NeoGAF and turned it down.

41 minutes ago, T Pot said:

It still blows my mind that almost all stewards at every level of motorsport are volunteers. I can kind of understand it at your little meet weekends and kids karting etc, but in world championship events where drivers are earning millions it's nuts. 

The irony there is the marshals at your kids karting weekend?

They're probably paid.

47 minutes ago, alex3d said:

The forum nets 700,000 USD in EBITDA? Holy cow. I had no idea it is so lucrative.

I'm staggered that anybody would give that cesspit money, especially considering how capricious their mods are.