ResetEra sold for $4.5m. Nothing goes to the mods and staff.

SMD

8 minutes ago, GwiDan said:

Why would he sell for so little when it makes so much a year?

Two sizeable communities quit in one day and set up their own forums. The PC gaming community and Xbox community also left.

Sell high, leave everyone else to deal with the fallout.

25 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

I'm staggered that anybody would give that cesspit money, especially considering how capricious their mods are.

I still lol that we had a member loudly announce they were going to leave here forever to escape the iron fist of our mods to go over to Resetera where they permaban you for looking them askance.

12 minutes ago, SMD said:

Two sizeable communities quit in one day and set up their own forums. The PC gaming community and Xbox community also left.

Whatever happened there? I love a bit of internet forum drama.

1 hour ago, Corranga said:

See also cheerleaders, though they do get opportunities to earn merch and modelling contracts etc, the training and actual cheerleading I believe is largely unpaid.

This is fucking outrageous !!!!! Only on rllmuk can the topic heading hide such a wild tangent.

BOT* resetera a hive of scum and villainy if ever their was one imho. 

* i just invented this acronym so don't worry if you haven't heard it yet. I'm sure it will be used all the time in no time at all.

** Back On Topic

16 minutes ago, SMD said:

Wait, what? When did this happen and why? The PC community did a really good release highltlights thread each month but there wasn't one for October, which I did think was odd at the time. 

17 minutes ago, SMD said:

Given the playstation bias on Resetera I am surprised it had an xbox or PC community :D

1 hour ago, Cyhwuhx said:

This news must've been met with an awkward silence at Eurogamer towers.

I suspect Reed Pop don't care much.

12 minutes ago, StumpyJohn said:

The press release indicated sales last year of $700,000 with an 80% margin so $560,000 profit to the owner.  Selling for $4.55m is 6.5 times annual sales, 8.125 times annual profit.  So I would not class that as "so little"; factor in how the site started and that it could similarly implode and migrate again and I think he has got a really good price.

Yeah that's low compared to established companies but with a slightly rocky business that can disappear quite quickly it seems like a reasonable deal to me.

And like others have said, present in the owner's mind is it basically gives him the rest of his life free if he's even remotely smart about it.

29 minutes ago, Harsin said:

25 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Wait, what? When did this happen and why? The PC community did a really good release highltlights thread each month but there wasn't one for October, which I did think was odd at the time. 

The sales community and Nintendo community both left because a mod banned a long term member for basically nothing (they were being snarky to someone but really wasn't worth a one day ban) and when the sales community complained that the mods had ignored them raising issues with persistent trolling, a shitload more got banned for 'metacommentary' and 'modwhining', with a few perms for people highlighting that some mods had been guilty of some unsavory behaviour themselves.

Apparently that straw broke a lot of camels backs, as the guy who was banned was a major figure in the sales community and decided not to return, people setup two new forums and they've already seen some people like Emily Rogers and NateDrake sign up.

PC Era as far as I'm aware has transitioned almost completely to discord, whoever's left are basically stragglers but most of the regulars quit a while back. XboxEra set up their own forum ages ago and I think they have a podcast now?

The modding stuff has been tense since the Democratic primaries (the Tara Reade threads were particularly disgusting) plus one of the mods posted that ridiculous UK vote suggestor that heavily leaned towards the Lib Dems. TransEra and AsianEra both clashed with the mods over the persistent abuse their communities face, MuslimEra all but quit and a few other minority groups have been angry with the lack of support and action from the mods.

Basically 4.5m is a fucking gift because I don't think Era will grow with all the people leaving and the reputation the site has for posting culture and modding.

24 minutes ago, Clipper said:

Given the playstation bias on Resetera I am surprised it had an xbox or PC community :D

They were actually pretty active but yeah the bias just got too much and people felt like there wasn't any point in putting up with it.

29 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Enough guaranteed cash up front to not have to work if he doesn't want to for the rest of his life.

He writes books, I don't think cerium has had an employer for years.

32 minutes ago, Harsin said:

iirc the PC community got pissed off with how harshly discussion about Epic Store exclusives was being moderated so a large portion of them made their own forum. No idea about Xbox, didn't even realise a lot of them left. They also lost a lot of posters from some minority communities (Asian, Muslim andTrans) because of how awful the moderation was regarding sensitive topics related to them.

5 minutes ago, therearerules said:

We gotta be one of the oldest left at this point.

Of video game forums for sure unless you count stuff like gamefaqs. Sports Interactive has a really old community too. Forums in general there are still lots that are quite a bit older.

Definitely one of the vestiges of the era when the internet was good though.

13 minutes ago, Mafro said:

iirc the PC community got pissed off with how harshly discussion about Epic Store exclusives was being moderated so a large portion of them made their own forum. No idea about Xbox, didn't even realise a lot of them left. They also lost a lot of posters from some minority communities (Asian, Muslim andTrans) because of how awful the moderation was regarding sensitive topics related to them.

Do you know what the PC community forum is? I don't do discord, so no interest in that. 

PC ERA moved to this small part of hell

https://metacouncil.com/forums/rules/1/

No Admins, No Mods! Every single full member of the forum is equal and everyone is responsible for making it a good place for people to have chats on various gaming (and non-gaming) topics.

Content removal is handled automatically through the use of the forum's Report function. If a post receives 3 reports - it will be automatically removed. To protect this functionality from abuse - each report will be visible to all full members (including the user whose content got reported) on the profile page of the user whose content received the report. Each report will be fully detailed and include the date, username of the person who issued the report and the comments left when the report was issued. Only report content that is illegal, offensive or in any way violates any of the terms and rules stated in this list. Do not report content that you simply disagree with, because while there is technically no way to stop you from doing it - your behaviour will eventually get noticed, which leads us to the second part of the way to keep the forum a friendly place for everyone:

User bans will function as follows: each full member has access to the forum's Warning functionality. Each issued warning applies one warning point which expires after 25 days. If at any time a user has accumulated 3 active warning points - they will automatically receive a 24h ban. If they manage to gather a further 3 warnings (for a total of 6) - the next ban will be a 48h one, then one week (at 9 points), then one month (at 12 points) and then the final one will be a permanent ban (at 15 active warning points). Bans are applied after reaching a warning point threshold, so if a user gets below 3 active points and then reaches the threshold again - a 24h ban will be automatically applied. Additionally - each time a user gets banned, there will be a thread created automatically in the Ban Notifications forum. Same as with reports - to protect this functionality from abuse - each warning will be visible to all full members on the profile page of the user who received the warning (including the user themselves). Each warning will be fully detailed and include the date, username of the person who issued the warning and any comments left when the warning was issued. Only warn users for content or behaviour that is illegal, offensive or in any way violates any of the terms and rules stated in this list. Do not warn users who you simply disagree with, because while there is technically no way to stop you from doing it - your behaviour will eventually get noticed and dealt with accordingly.

Imagine the power cliques will hold.