ResetEra sold for $4.5m. Nothing goes to the mods and staff.

SMD

I got permanently banned from there years ago for calling a woman a cunt. 

Whole bunch of fannies got all upset and deeply offended. 

She was a cunt by the way. 

26 minutes ago, Ry said:

I got permanently banned from there years ago for calling a woman a cunt. 

Whole bunch of fannies got all upset and deeply offended. 

She was a cunt by the way. 

You'd get banned from here for that too.

1 hour ago, Lovelyman said:

You'd get banned from here for that too.

I wasn't even talking about someone in the forum. I was talking about a co-worker. 

10 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

The Off Topic bit over there is a nightmare, they've got a rule where you get banned for disagreeing with the topics viewpoint, so the only thing you can add to the topics is even more strident agreement, resulting in everything quickly becoming absurdly angry.

Even a simple topic on a parking infraction just devolves into ridiculous hot takes because no one can ever go "aren't you being a bit daft about this?" or "I think you might be in the wrong here".

Not just ot

20 hours ago, Harsin said:

They have got some real weird fucked-up priorities over there.

Starting new threads/discussion about CD Projeckt/Cyberpunk 2077 is formally banned but it's a-okay for guerilla marketers 'passionate fans' to start threads with ludicrously long first posts that are just pure PR for games* from connoisseurs of sexual assault Ubisoft and Activision-Blizzard.

* Example: https://www.resetera.com/threads/assassins-creed-valhalla-ot-by-odins-beard.321352/

Thank you for all those press kit videos and your detailed analysis of the valuable extras I can get if I buy a more expensive edition as well as the benefits of purchasing a season pass 100% genuine poster.

It wouldn’t surprise me if some of that $700k came from paid shills etc, but you can have good OPs easily.

I proposed a plug-in to the staff at this place a couple of years ago. When making a thread you could put the game title in and it would auto pull screenshots, videos, titles and information. Mods etc seemed to really like it but the committee at the time didn’t seem interested so it didn’t go anywhere.

11 hours ago, deerokus said:

It's literally the topic of the thread

Indeed. Just a lot of very strong feelings, like “scum” and “cesspit”, for what is little more than a very left-leaning gaming forum with a very overzealous mod community.

20 hours ago, Xevious said:

It would do, but for the six-figure salaries the committee get.

Serious answer: no.  This is mainly because we don't accept adverts and our subscriptions are set at a price which just covers the annual costs (plus a little to save up for new servers or other equipment when we might need it).  Part of the reason @Graham S proposed a cooperative to own it when @rllmuk wanted to leave was that it would be run for the community, not as a money-making exercise.

Our accounts are published each year and you can see that we made a small surplus this year, after a small loss last year.  It's nice and finely balanced.

Just an aside and not related to the ongoing conversation.  But doesn't "save up for new servers" seem a little quaint these days? I thought you pretty much just put stuff in the cloud and pay a subscription these days.

20 hours ago, GokouD said:

Haha, those MOBA guys should have done a bit of research before splashing 4.5 million on that place, it's already in the process of splintering and falling apart and this will finish it off. Shame, it started with good ideals but it's just such a hellhole now. I've joined the new Nintendo focused offshoot https://famiboards.com/ and it's much nicer, for now at least...

Don't you think it's likely that they've already done a bit of research and factored this into whatever plans they have? Of course there are always exceptions, but as a general rule, people don't spend 4.5 million on things without knowing about them. If heavy-handed modding is the big problem, as seems to be suggested in this thread, then it isn't too difficult to fix that, surely?

6 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Indeed. Just a lot of very strong feelings, like “scum” and “cesspit”, for what is little more than a very left-leaning gaming forum with a very overzealous mod community.

That's a generous interpretation. And as the person who flippantly called it a cesspit, you can rest assured that I don't have any particularly strong feelings about ResetEra. :hat:

20 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Just an aside and not related to the ongoing conversation.  But doesn't "save up for new servers" seem a little quaint these days? I thought you pretty much just put stuff in the cloud and pay a subscription these days.

It’s possible things have changed over the years since I was last involved, but renting a cloud server with our requirements at the time was way more expensive than merely hosting a physical server we owned, to the point it was basically unaffordable to us. The last time we needed to replace hardware we got a very generous server donation from @layten so that was free to us. I imagine it would make things easier if we didn’t have actual physical hardware that @choddowould occasionally need to drive to a data centre to administer a kick to. But £ drove the decision making.

I remember a brief period when during the server transition we were cloud based for a short period and the speed difference was absolutely insane. Shame it's so expensive.

33 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

But doesn't "save up for new servers" seem a little quaint these days? 

Depends on:

* How much data you've got, and need to persist;

* How your load works;

* Whether you actually have a capex cost associated with a server, and what your tolerance for failure is.

If you've already got hardware, why pay again for it on subscription until it's out of warranty; and if you're ok with it being out of warranty...

23 hours ago, Flub said:

Content removal is handled automatically through the use of the forum's Report function. If a post receives 3 reports - it will be automatically removed. To protect this functionality from abuse - each report will be visible to all full members (including the user whose content got reported) on the profile page of the user whose content received the report. Each report will be fully detailed and include the date, username of the person who issued the report and the comments left when the report was issued. Only report content that is illegal, offensive or in any way violates any of the terms and rules stated in this list. Do not report content that you simply disagree with, because while there is technically no way to stop you from doing it - your behaviour will eventually get noticed, which leads us to the second part of the way to keep the forum a friendly place for everyone:

Weaponised negging, absolutely love it. We should have a competition to see how quickly you can get banned by the mob. The topic I'll choose is mouse vs controller players, wish me luck!

1 hour ago, Anne Summers said:

39 minutes ago, Graham S said:

It’s possible things have changed over the years since I was last involved, but renting a cloud server with our requirements at the time was way more expensive than merely hosting a physical server we owned, to the point it was basically unaffordable to us. The last time we needed to replace hardware we got a very generous server donation from @layten so that was free to us. I imagine it would make things easier if we didn’t have actual physical hardware that @choddowould occasionally need to drive to a data centre to administer a kick to. But £ drove the decision making.

34 minutes ago, footle said:

Depends on:

* How much data you've got, and need to persist;

* How your load works;

* Whether you actually have a capex cost associated with a server, and what your tolerance for failure is.

If you've already got hardware, why pay again for it on subscription until it's out of warranty; and if you're ok with it being out of warranty...

As you say ...

Don't you think it's likely that they've already done a bit of research and factored this into whatever plans they have?

It is absurdly more expensive to operate a website like this in the cloud - several times the cost, and that's even before you take into account that we got a very capable bit of kit donated at a knock-down price.  So while the speed difference was welcome, it's just not feasible I'm afraid!

55 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

Weaponised negging, absolutely love it. We should have a competition to see how quickly you can get banned by the mob. The topic I'll choose is mouse vs controller players, wish me luck!

Topic title: 30fps is fine.

56 minutes ago, Alan Stock said:

But there's a failsafe right? With all the reports being public, anyone who's perceived as abusing the reporting system quickly gets reported themselves. 

I like it in theory but I've never used resetera so no idea how it works in the real world. 

Don't you think it's likely that they've already done a bit of research and factored this into whatever plans they have? Of course there are always exceptions, but as a general rule, people don't spend 4.5 million on things without knowing about them. If heavy-handed modding is the big problem, as seems to be suggested in this thread, then it isn't too difficult to fix that, surely?

That's veering very close to the 'big companies don't make mistakes' fallacy, which gets proven wrong on an almost daily basis.

45 minutes ago, Ste Pickford said:

That's veering very close to the 'big companies don't make mistakes' fallacy, which gets proven wrong on an almost daily basis.

It's hard to see how they'll be able to make a return on the investment without changing the forum to such an extent that the majority may well up and leave. Particularly as they'll be primed to look for this stuff. And that's not the only problem for the new owners. People in the thread are already linking to individual 'gotcha' posts that are up on other forums the company owns, which forumites say prove they don't care about trans people, etc. Issues that could potentially rile ResetEra into a frenzy very quickly even if only a few are found. The Crucible extends outwards now!

1 hour ago, LaveDisco said:

I can’t get the supporters paypal link to work. So I’ll still join - just once I’ve found my wallet. Gulp. Just use my watch these days…. Uh oh. 

The paypal link does work - you just have to turn off automatic renewal, which is pre-checked. For anyone else whose realised that they need to start supporting this place.

(I've still not found my wallet though....)