ResetEra sold for $4.5m. Nothing goes to the mods and staff.

SMD

6 minutes ago, therearerules said:

Nah, there's definitely interesting reads on there, it's just very fast with zealous modding.

maybe, but, we're a more slow paced, middle aged, rural forum, whereas they are the big city zoomy forum!

19 minutes ago, therearerules said:

Nah, there's definitely interesting reads on there, it's just very fast with zealous modding.

Totally, the threads which go in depth into something or other are decent. 

I'm sure there are some awful threads on Era, but I find it does have plenty of interesting things to read and is a change of pace from here, where things can be very slow and there's often not all that much to see. The speed and sheer volume of posts threads can attract when they catch fire means that it is a site better for reading, rather than engaging with though, so I'm a lurker over there.

I find it odd the way people dismiss the whole site whenever it is mentioned on here, I'm sure there are awful posters/bad faith content/terrible or contentious moderation decisions - but that all exists here too, just not at the same scale.

22 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

This forum is full of absolute arseholes but the people running the place generally don’t fit that description and for that we should we grateful frankly.

Yes, that's fair comment, but at the same time there are lots of threads over there that are untroubled by poor mods/trolls etc. 

23 hours ago, TehStu said:

"here mysql, just have 55gb of ram lol"

Will the new server have enough memory to run everything entirely in RAM? I could put more in, but all 24 slots are already full. :lol: 

2 hours ago, layten said:

Will the new server have enough memory to run everything entirely in RAM? I could put more in, but all 24 slots are already full. :lol: 

Aye, we're pretty much doing that now with 64gb allocated to the VM. Lazy man's architecture, I love it.