Best Metroidvania Titles

MikeF

After playing Metroid Dread I am in the need for some good Metrodvania style games

I have already completed FIST and Hollow Knight

On the switch I have downloaded Ender Lilies, Blasphemous and Bloodstained Ritual of the Night

What others should I be serioulsy considering playing

PS4/5 and Swtich titles as I only have these 2 consoles

I second Sundered. Especially its soundtrack is awesome. 

Castlevania Advance Collection is a no-brainer. 

TimeSpinner is very good though maybe a tad short. 

Guacamelee! is one of my favourite all-time Metroidvanias. It’s sequel is better in terms of combat but I kind of soured on its somewhat linear structure, which is incidentally very similar to Dread. By all means play both!

Shadow Complex Remastered is good fun if you want a bit more shootymans in your Metroidvania though it can be gone from your Store for Reasons™. 

Axiom Verge 1 & 2. The first is my headcanon Metroid 5. The second is an excellent experimental take on the genre. 

Guacamelee

Ori and the Blind Forest (the sequel is also very good, but o preferred the original)

Shadow Complex

The DS Castlevania games

The Dark Souls games have a lot in common with Metroidvanias, too

5 minutes ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Castlevania Advance Collection is a no-brainer. 

This. All three games are bloody fantastic. I just finished my third Dread run and I've already managed to get a few hours into Circle of the Moon :) And, yes, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Moon. Very much in the same vein.

Also, yes, try the Souls games! They're essentially the 3D spawn of Symphony of the Night, but with almost all of the platforming removed and the difficulty ramped up.

On the almost Metroidvania but not quite side of things:

- Master Blaster Zero 1/2/3

- Cyber Shadow

- La-Mulana 1/2 (danger, very difficult)

Other more solid attempts:

- The Mummy Demastered

- Steamworld Dig 1/2

- Dust: An Elysian Tail 

Avoid Chasm at all costs. 

2 minutes ago, Gideon Vame said:

This. All three games are bloody fantastic. I just finished my third Dread run and I've already managed to get a few hours into Circle of the Moon :) And, yes, Bloodstained: Ritual of the Moon. Very much in the same vein.

Also, yes, try the Souls games! They're essentially the 3D spawn of Symphony of the Night, but with almost all of the platforming removed and the difficulty ramped up.

Done all the Soulsborne games and love them

Looking at the list I have played a few of them already but had forgotten about them

Steamworld Dig 2, both Ori's, Gucamelee

Never got on with The Mummy Demastered, so may redownload it and give it a go

7 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

I wish we would change the name of these.

Nah, the awkwardness of the name adds a very videogamey flair to the subgenre. I agree with Jim Sterling that it's actually a pretty smart name!

7 minutes ago, CheekyLee said:

Most of the Castlevania games don't actually fit the name, certainly nothing before SotN!

Hence the Metroid bit in the name! ;)

No, but the genre really owes a lot to Igarashi and his Castlevania games. They really helped to establish the classic metroidvania formula while the Metroid franchise was focused on pumping out the (more Zelda like) Prime games and stuff like Hunters and Prime Pinball.

Metroidvania is called 'search action' or something in Japan, IIRC. And while it's not a bad name (it's definitely more elegant) it just doesn't have the same, charismatic ring to it.

Just now, Gideon Vame said:

Ooh! Yes!

Which reminds me: Aliens Infestation! Fantastic little metroidvania. Moody, too. You'll need your DS, though...

Oooooooh yes. Slightly problematic to find but yes. That one was far better than it had any right to be. 

1 minute ago, Cyhwuhx said:

Slightly problematic to find but yes.

Another thing it very much had in common with the IGAvanias.

Good luck trying to findi a sealed copy of Harmony of Dissonance in the wild back in the day!

Touhou Luna Nights. It's on GamePass too if you're so inclined, and is pretty short. Also you can put about 15 chainsaws on screen at once by the end of the game which is defnitely a metric more things need to be judged by.

2 hours ago, layten said:

Super Metroid.

Currently replaying this and it is still absolutely brilliant. Definitely worth your time if you haven’t played it before. I’m playing on SNES Mini, but I’m sure it will be on the SNES online thing for Switch. 

You can also play Symphony of the Night on PS4. 

9 minutes ago, Polmon said:

Not a mention of Hollow Knight? Or is it not considered a Metroidvania? Anyway, it's amazing. 

@MikeF mentioned it in their original post but yes, Hollow Knight is one of the very best. Maybe my absolute favourite (a little too long, though).

12 minutes ago, GwiDan said:

Does Bloodstained still run like a powerpoint on the Switch?

No, it is better than on release. It was completely unplayable when it came out due to the outrageous input lag, so I sold it on, but post-patch I bought the digital version in a sale and it seemed fine after a quick go.

5 minutes ago, ryodi said:

Is this just 2D games because Arkham Asylum is the best 3D Metroidvania game since the Prime trilogy. 

Yeah, this. An incredible Metroidvania. I much preferred its tight level design to the more open sequels.