Best Metroidvania Titles

MikeF

Touhou Luna Nights and Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth are the best of the last decade, imo. They're both designed around impressively robust and fun sets of mechanics, and the level design gradually incorporates more and more challenges to your grasp of them (without ever becoming particularly stressful or taxing). They have incredible pixel art and are a pleasure to just run around in. They're also brief, understanding that the best examples of the genre were never 30 hours long. ;) 

Well you’ve got the Metroids, then there is a huge gap in quality, then you have the metroid rip offs like axiom verge, then you have a bit of a gap in quality, then maybe the one half decent castlevania, and then you have the rest like hollow knight which weren’t really that good to start with but did for a while because people were starving for a new Metroid. 

I really liked Chasm, actually. One issue that many people have with the game is that it has, to a limited extent, randomly generated levels. This meant that you could get a bad combination if you were unlucky, but later updates to the game have really fixed a lot of things and polished everything in general. It's the rare Metroidvania game that plays more like SOTN than Super Metroid.

Iconoclasts is a remarkable game, I think.

Salt & Sanctuary is really interesting.

La Mulana 1 and 2 are really good, too--both games are merciless in their difficulty, though.

Cave Story, although maybe not a true Metroidvania in many ways, would be worth a look, too.

debs gives those of us who have bad great taste a bad name with his drive-by outré opinions :(

The tricky thing with metroidvanias as a category is that their appeal, by nature of their broad variety of gameplay elements, can come from a range of sources. So, despite not being true metroidvanias, games like Iconoclasts or Knytt can be good recommendations for a fan, depending on what they like about the genre (playing run 'n' guns with a gradually evolving toolset; or exploring sprawling 2D maps, respectively).

I was going to say Shinsekai as well. Delightful wee game. One to check out if it’s particularly that other worldly sort of isolation vibe that people dig in their Metroid 👌🏻  

It’s Capcom doing an aquatic Metroidvania and it’s 70s prog as fuck. I don’t know why more people don’t bang on about it.

8 hours ago, MikeF said:

PS4/5 and Swtich titles as I only have these 2 consoles

Castlevania: Symphony of the Night above anything else, then work out a way to play Metroid Fusion.

6 hours ago, Wiper said:

The tricky thing with metroidvanias as a category is that their appeal, by nature of their broad variety of gameplay elements, can come from a range of sources. So, despite not being true metroidvanias, games like Iconoclasts or Knytt can be good recommendations for a fan, depending on what they like about the genre (playing run 'n' guns with a gradually evolving toolset; or exploring sprawling 2D maps, respectively).

It would make sense to be more specific with types of Metroidvanias, I guess. I could divide most of the ones I've played in recent years into 3 rough categories: more linear, action focused (Guacamelee, Ori); light RPG elements (Bloodstained, Vigil); and lonely exploration (Hollow Knight, Ender Lilies). I'm happy with any if done well.

I also tend just to think of Metroidvania in terms of 2D side-scrolling games, otherwise it tends to become far too vague - and then why not Zeldroidvania etc.? Metroid Prime makes that awkward, of course. 

12 hours ago, Klatrymadon said:

Touhou Luna Nights and Record of Lodoss War: Deedlit in Wonder Labyrinth are the best of the last decade, imo. They're both designed around impressively robust and fun sets of mechanics, and the level design gradually incorporates more and more challenges to your grasp of them (without ever becoming particularly stressful or taxing). They have incredible pixel art and are a pleasure to just run around in. They're also brief, understanding that the best examples of the genre were never 30 hours long. ;) 

Need to check out both of these. TLN I had heard of but RoLW is a new one to me. Both look lovely. How come they aren't on PS4?

-edit-

RoLW isn't on consoles yet - due out later this year apparently.

Plenty of other Touhou games on PS4 but not Luna Nights.

Thanks to this thread, I started playing Super Metroid this weekend. I've loved the genre for a long time, and have played both the GBA Metroids, but for some reason I never got very far in this before.

Anyway, it's good isn't it? I did get stuck at one point though and had to look up a solution, which turned out to be the existence of a run button. Wall jumping took a bit of practice too, thanks to it working differently to every modern implementation and even the GBA games. Those quirks aside, it honestly feels like the game could have been released today and would still be considered pretty incredible. 

41 minutes ago, Mogster said:

Thanks to this thread, I started playing Super Metroid this weekend. I've loved the genre for a long time, and have played both the GBA Metroids, but for some reason I never got very far in this before.

Anyway, it's good isn't it? I did get stuck at one point though and had to look up a solution, which turned out to be the existence of a run button. Wall jumping took a bit of practice too, thanks to it working differently to every modern implementation and even the GBA games. Those quirks aside, it honestly feels like the game could have been released today and would still be considered pretty incredible. 

I just recently tried AM2R and it’s ridiculously polished. I recommend.

The only thing it’s missing is some decent CRT/LCD shaders. Would love to see a port to something with a low res screen.

This is why I love threads like this, I never would have guessed Strider (2014) was a metroidvania. One to spend my reward points on the next time it goes on sale.

My goto answers have been mentioned already but I heartily recommend both Guacamelees and Yoku's Island Express. I also had a lot of fun with The Messenger and The Mummy Demastered.

Already been mentioned, but I will also add that both Guacamelee’s are excellent. I wouldn’t necessarily suggest playing them back to back, though. Dust, which has also been mentioned, was also a standout in the genre for me.

It's been mentioned a few times, but Bloodstained is excellent. It starts off like a standard Metroidvania, then adds a bunch of systems and mechanics that are annoying and you'll never use (cooking, for example) and then before you know it you're desperately looking for strawberries because you've got a new recipe, and you're loving every second of it. And then it gets progressively more joyously stupid and over the top until you feel like you must be cheating somehow.