Gaming as we age....

MattyP

I focussed almost everything on new games - even though I have a nice retro solution, the new is the thing that interests me the most… and I don’t think we’ve had it as good as now. 

The biggest change in my gaming habits is I stopped dropping games too quickly and frequently and find really concentrating on what’s good about a game I enjoy and seeing it through to the credits. I finish and/or Platinum more games that ever and I love doing it. I also try to have fewer games on the go at one time. Just a bit of patience and I enjoy myself even more.  

8 hours ago, Thor said:

I don't think I'll ever change. On every gaming platform I have had, I've always wanted more, better, the future. I don't want what we have now, I want what's next; and when that comes, I want what's next after that. And that will always be me.

Take VR. I fucking love VR, it absolutely is going to be a huge part of the future of gaming. But it's still wires and controllers and headsets etc. It's not enough for me. The future will be Star Trek's holodecks, just not in any of our lifetimes. And that makes me a little sad. 

Indeed. VR is the most innovative thing to happen recently but you are right. It's clunky wires etc. It will get better. Although not sure I could cope with a future like shown in Ready Player One.

16 hours ago, AlexM said:

I feel it's excessive as it's given me more choice paralysis, rather wishing I hadn't picked up all the platforms (I got caught up in 'next gen' and 'game pass' hype), on the other hand I bought the Xbox Series S last and I use it more than the PS5 / Laptop (for gaming). However I've got one rather demanding child, and whenever I sit down to play a game he'll see that as 'Daddy's free!' and expect me to play Minecraft / Garry's Mod with him or run around.

Simple and short games win for me, I don't have time for complex mechanics, and I'm not sure I'm interested enough for 'epic tales' - I'd rather read a book. I don't think I've ever been that interested in long or complex games though, even when I had the time. I've just got caught up in great reviews and hype too many times and tried to play games that don't work for me.

Hmm. You and @MattyP have put me right off now as yeah, I hate choice paralysis, one of my favourite feelings is cancelling a streaming service. 

Maybe I’ll wait for reviews of Forza and Halo at least. 

14 hours ago, Thor said:

The future will be Star Trek's holodecks, just not in any of our lifetimes. And that makes me a little sad. 

It’s not utilised as much in games, but the holodeck thing is why I find AR kind of awesome as well. When I had a Nokia Lumia and could have superimposed floating labels and markers on the camera’s view of my streets it felt very GTA; very videogame-y. It just needs to be shoved into some unassuming affordable goggles/specs ;) 

9 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

I hate choice paralysis, one of my favourite feelings is cancelling a steaming service. 

"Both my shirt and my trousers need ironed, but they only have time for one! Decisions, decisions..."

That sort of thing?

I have barely any time to play anything these days, so any game that grabs me needs to be played in short chunks or save very frequently. Quick Resume helps a lot with this, but anything requiring a constant online connection like Destiny can only be played when I can commit at least an hour or so.

Spiderman was the best game for playing in short bursts. You can just as easily have a blast chasing pigeons for 5 minutes as spending all day on it going through the story. Shame I’m Playstaionless for the time being.