IGNORED

Brilliant Game Interfaces

Wiper

5 minutes ago, Hamus said:

Eve Online I liked, due to the way you could move all your windows about.

Yeah, the movable interface is an underused one in strategy games. Settlers 2 did a great line in movable windows, including the option to create little pop-up cameras that followed your citizens around (so e.g. you could keep an eye on your scout as he looked for minerals even as you built up your town); something I'm surprised more RTS's haven't done.

10 hours ago, carlospie said:

Dead space. So simple. So clean 

Similar style in Split/Second. No big chunky bars at the bottom of the screen with the lap in the top left and minimap in top right. Everything you need to know is placed on/at the back of the car.

.splitsecond-20100514045250693-000.jpg.1e2797bb91dea64347b61f61946de00b.jpg

FF13's is great.

Quick to get into the menu without loads, for usability, with super-slick looking fonts and chrome etc. look & feel.  Sound effects are high quality, crisp and add to the premium feel.  The little character video snippets you get when you check character status, elevates it to near Ridge 4 levels of coolness (I'll replace the vid if I find one that cycles through all characters, so you can get a fuller effect):

Another one from me - Tactics Ogre, particularly the PSP version.

Just quality, quality, quality presentation and usability.

The director of PSP Tactics Ogre (and art director on the original Tactics Ogre, FF Tactics, FF12 and Vagrant Story), Hiroshi Minagawa, also designed the UI for FFXIV.

And the opening of the game where you answer questions etc., still gives goosebumps today:

40 minutes ago, Triple A said:

FF13's is great.

Quick to get into the menu without loads, for usability, with super-slick looking fonts and chrome etc. look & feel.  Sound effects are high quality, crisp and add to the premium feel.  The little character video snippets you get when you check character status, elevates it to near Ridge 4 levels of coolness (I'll replace the vid if I find one that cycles through all characters, so you can get a fuller effect):

I think that is as generic as generic comes. I certainly wouldn't consider it anything worth highlighting.

44 minutes ago, Triple A said:

Another one from me - Tactics Ogre, particularly the PSP version.

Just quality, quality, quality presentation and usability.

The director of PSP Tactics Ogre (and art director on the original Tactics Ogre, FF Tactics, FF12 and Vagrant Story), Hiroshi Minagawa, also designed the UI for FFXIV.

And the opening of the game where you answer questions etc., still gives goosebumps today:

I think it's beautiful and navigating around feels crisp and precise but I played 150 odd hours of it last year and re-equipping your party or trying to craft anything is a nightmare.

It’s gimmicky and a bit daft, but I like the way that WarioWare Twisted committed to the tilt controls in its menus. Menu entries are arranged in a circle and the circle spins around as you tilt to the left or right. It instantly sells the motion gimmick before you touch a minigame. :) 

Honourable mention to Yakuza: LaD and the battle transitions and menu overlays feeling a bit more natural than Persona’s way of whisking you away to a miniature arena. Also the four-button battle menu navigation is pretty neat.

Harmonix's Dance Central games were the only Kinect/camera games I can remember where navigating menus through gestures felt good. I think there's something weirdly satisfying about how it uses sound and animation to show that your long right to left swipes for selecting menu options are working. 

The menus in Ridge Racer V are just beautiful. It feels premium today with stylish icons and superb animations. It could easily be a front end today. 

A good sound effect when selecting or moving the cursor is important too. I love how the first Kingdom Hearts sounds. 

1 hour ago, shirubagan said:

Brütal Legend's LP-based UI. Absolutely perfect for the game theme and brilliantly executed.

How (as a metal fan \m/ ) have I not seen that before? Turns out it's on sale on Steam so I've just bought it for a couple of quid :)

5 hours ago, nakamura said:

The menus in Ridge Racer V are just beautiful. It feels premium today with stylish icons and superb animations. It could easily be a front end today. 

A good sound effect when selecting or moving the cursor is important too. I love how the first Kingdom Hearts sounds. 

Yeah all of this - nice one

Contraversial, but I'm going to say Theme Park on 3DO used the shoulder buttons to access menus, a mouse pointer that snaps to the next item with a tap of the D-pad, and digital placement of rides, paths, buildings etc.  Being a conversion of a computer game that was mouse control, the 3DO joypad was probably the worst replacement for a mouse possible. But the design of the menu system made the 3DO game my favourite version.

I really like the PS4 text input, where you use the motion control. 

Also, some of the stuff you can do in VR is great. In Superhot, you start the game by picking up a floppy disk and inserting it into a computer. We could probably have a whole thread on cool VR stuff.