IGNORED

Xbox 20th anniversary event 15th November - no new games will be announced.

Doctor Shark

45 minutes ago, K said:

There are valid reasons why they might want to do a surprise release of the Halo Infinite multiplayer - they'd get a load of "free" publicity and excited word of mouth, and it would prevent any of their F2P rivals from scheduling something around the same time and stealing their thunder. But then again, there are equally valid reasons why they wouldn't want to do that, and there's no actual evidence that they're planning to do this beyond a load of people who can't understand code sifting through some code and finding what looks like a date and deciding this is what it means.  

I don’t think, given they control the distribution channel, have x million captive subscribers, and there’s nothing really special about a 6th December date, that there’s any reason for them to worry about “traditional marketing”. It’s not like loads of people are going to see Halo on buses. Or there’s a load of consoles lying about waiting to be sold.

see also, the shadow drop of Apex Legends.

So basically spouted bullshit and now doing pre-emptive damage control for when we get a trailer for the Halo TV series or something as their planned one more thing today. My uncle who works for Nintendo Microsoft told me it was definitely was coming out today and because of spurious last minute REASONS they pulled it and you can’t prove me wrong.

Resetera has gone full blown Pepe Silvia over this.

spacer.png

I really hope it’s out today as I have some time off work this week and a Halo game would be just the ticket, but I'm struggling to see what the big advantages are to MS of doing this?

Advantages

• Intense burst of OMG WTF BBQ publicity?
  • A month longer to sell the season pass?

Disadvantages

• Intense burst of publicity. Why is this a bad thing as well? Forza Horizon 5 has just come out and is dominating the games media with good PR at the moment. The other big release Battlefield 2042 hardly seems to be causing a ripple in the pond (everyone here with GamePass can play it for free right now, yet the thread on here barely has any traffic and is basically just the same 5 people who post regularly in all Battlefield threads) and what PR that game is getting is negative about how janky it is. Oh yeah, there's GTA Definitive Edition as well and we all know how that's going lol. Why would MS want to cannibalise their own product when they could space it out.
  • Big games like this have carefully planned marketing campaigns, there'll be adverts, partner deals, billboards etcetera etcetera all waiting in the wings to go. Would they really throw away their whole planned strategy just to get a front page on Kotaku?
  • Platforms allow you to preload games well in advance now to try and spread the load. This is possibly the biggest red flag for me, right now Halo Infinite MP is still a tiny placeholder. Surely they'd have put out a bigger file a week ago (it wouldn’t even have looked all that unusual) if they were planning something like this rather than having their servers get fucked by millions of people trying to download 60+gb on Xbox and PCs at the exact same time.
  • More time in the oven. Even if the MP is really good I get the impression that every second counts in development and the devs would rarely want to give up an extra month of time to keep polishing it.

The only other reason I could think of they'd want to do this is if the campaign was a Mass Effect Andromeda/Anthem style disaster and they want to let the MP enjoy time in the good PR sun without getting overshadowed by bad stories about another aspect of the game and then put the single-player later. Even though I don't think the campaign will be as good as people are hoping, I just don't see it being so monumentally bad that they would do something like that (certainly not based on the more recent previews) and just typing this out it sounds far fetched.

I may well be wrong. God knows I've called enough stuff wrong over the years. We shall see at 6pm tonight when they broadcast the event in the UK.

27 minutes ago, Harsin said:

I really hope it’s out today as I have some time off work this week and a Halo game would be just the ticket, but I'm struggling to see what the big advantages are to MS of doing this?

Advantages

• Intense burst of OMG WTF BBQ publicity?
  • A month longer to sell the season pass?

Disadvantages

• Intense burst of publicity. Why is this a bad thing as well? Forza Horizon 5 has just come out and is dominating the games media with good PR at the moment. The other big release Battlefield 2042 hardly seems to be causing a ripple in the pond (everyone here with GamePass can play it for free right now, yet the thread on here barely has any traffic and is basically just the same 5 people who post regularly in all Battlefield threads) and what PR that game is getting is negative about how janky it is. Oh yeah, there's GTA Definitive Edition as well and we all know how that's going lol. Why would MS want to cannibalise their own product when they could space it out.
  • Big games like this have carefully planned marketing campaigns, there'll be adverts, partner deals, billboards etcetera etcetera all waiting in the wings to go. Would they really throw away their whole planned strategy just to get a front page on Kotaku?
  • Platforms allow you to preload games well in advance now to try and spread the load. This is possibly the biggest red flag for me, right now Halo Infinite MP is still a tiny placeholder. Surely they'd have put out a bigger file a week ago (it wouldn’t even have looked all that unusual) if they were planning something like this rather than having their servers get fucked by millions of people trying to download 60+gb on Xbox and PCs at the exact same time.
  • More time in the oven. Even if the MP is really good I get the impression that every second counts in development and the devs would rarely want to give up an extra month of time to keep polishing it.

The only other reason I could think of they'd want to do this is if the campaign was a Mass Effect Andromeda/Anthem style disaster and they want to let the MP enjoy time in the good PR sun without getting overshadowed by bad stories about another aspect of the game and then put the single-player later. Even though I don't think the campaign will be as good as people are hoping, I just don't see it being so monumentally bad that they would do something like that (certainly not based on the more recent previews) and just typing this out it sounds far fetched.

I may well be wrong. God knows I've called enough stuff wrong over the years. We shall see at 6pm tonight when they broadcast the event in the UK.

You're overlooking one major factor. The only relevant factor, even. Microsoft is all about growing gamepass subscriptions right now - individual sales are a nice bonus probably, but any negative impact on sales of Infinite are completely irrelevant if there's a major uptick in new subscribers thanks to the hype generated by shadow dropping the F2P part early as an exclusive for gamepass subscribers.

Just a theory. But the notion that this says anything about the quality or their faith in the campaign is nonsense. Everything they do right now is aimed at growing Game Pass and that's how you have to view any moves they make in this regard.

Unlike traditional sales, game pass releases don't cannibalise each other. They just add to the attractiveness of game pass. The one sub gets you access to all games, so from Microsoft's perspective the more games the better. It's not like the old model where sales of one release cannibalise sales of another. Forza Horizon 5 is generating a lot of positive word of mouth right now - by adding early access to the Halo mp on top of that, a game pass sub becomes even more attractive right now.

15 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

You're overlooking one major factor. The only relevant factor, even. Microsoft is all about growing gamepass subscriptions right now - individual sales are a nice bonus probably, but any negative impact on sales of Infinite are completely irrelevant if there's a major uptick in new subscribers thanks to the hype generated by shadow dropping the F2P part early as an exclusive for gamepass subscribers.

But even so subscription services tend to space put their releases to let them breath. Netflix and Disney+ don't tend to put out their big releases right next to each other. Like I say I may well be wrong, in fact I'd go further and say I hope I'm wrong, but so much of the 'evidence' seems to be weak stuff at best that capital G gamers are joining together with red string on the corkboard in their mind (see also anytime they get it in their heads that Kojima might be up to something).

Just now, Harsin said:

But even so subscription services tend to space put their releases to let them breath. Netflix and Disney+ don't tend to put out right next to each other. Like I say I may well be wrong, in fact I'd go further and say I hope I'm wrong, but so much of the 'evidence' seems to be weak stuff that capital G gamers are joining together with red string on the corkboard in their mind (see also anytime they get it in their heads that Kohima might be up to something).

As noted earlier, this is just before Thanksgiving. I'm not saying this is going to definitely happen (and personally I couldn't care less about mp in general) but *if* they do it, I think it makes sense they're making a big move in time for the big American holiday.

1 minute ago, RubberJohnny said:

Game Pass releases absolutely do cannibalise each other, it's just for time and attention (engagement) rather than money.

People have to stop going "but Game Pass" as excuses when it's not relevant and they just don't want to talk about a thing.

But game pass

2 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I just want the BC programme to resume and I want a Tenchu game on there. I'm reasonably sure that I'm not the only one. They would make at least a dozen fans very happy :)

Yes! There’s still a lot of stuff worth adding. 

Just now, Harsin said:

We'll find out later. I'm just not looking towards to the wailing and gnashing of teeth from gamers all across the net raging and crying about being betrayed when something they were never even promised fails to materialise.

That's a indeed the risk they're taking by not coming out and denying this is a thing. Even though they didn't advertise or even hinted at such a big happening during this event, the disappointment could overshadow any good stuff they do mention. The internet has convinced themselves is definitely going to happen - tears of betrayal will flow regardless of whether Microsoft themselves actually ever promised anything.

1 minute ago, Stanley said:

Yes! There’s still a lot of stuff worth adding. 

Yeah, I'm going a bit loco about one title in particular but there are so many others still. And a lot of great existing BC titles that could do with a boost and enhancement. That's what I'm most hoping for.

I would give Foza Horizon 5 more time in the sun, personally, but I guess the 20th anniversary of Xbox will never come along again so shadow dropping Halo Infinite multiplayer today would certainly be a statement of intent. It's a crying shame the plan has been leaked - imagine the internet melting if this had actually come out of nowhere!

35 minutes ago, Harsin said:

But even so subscription services tend to space put their releases to let them breath. Netflix and Disney+ don't tend to put out their big releases right next to each other. Like I say I may well be wrong, in fact I'd go further and say I hope I'm wrong, but so much of the 'evidence' seems to be weak stuff at best that capital G gamers are joining together with red string on the corkboard in their mind (see also anytime they get it in their heads that Kojima might be up to something).

Disney+ have a day every year (November 12th) where they release a bunch of stuff all at once.

27 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

That's a indeed the risk they're taking by not coming out and denying this is a thing. Even though they didn't advertise or even hinted at such a big happening during this event, the disappointment could overshadow any good stuff they do mention. The internet has convinced themselves is definitely going to happen - tears of betrayal will flow regardless of whether Microsoft themselves actually ever promised anything.

Yes, this is what makes me think it's happening as much as any of the leakers. Microsoft have been very good at shooting down rumours like this early to prevent precisely that kind of backlash (such as stating there will be no new games announced this evening). 

The lack of a denial says a lot.