(Show Us Your) Advent Calendars

Gotters

Got this coffee advent calendar. Quite a weird setup but basically you get a pouch with ground coffee in. Pour hot water into it, leave for a few minutes then pour out of the spot for a fairly decent espresso. You can reuse the pouches too. New pouch every day. 

ABCF9FF4-D83F-4672-9F23-3F554385BBCE.jpeg

EF1B9544-D2F2-4506-8052-F1F2DCA28C4F.jpeg

12 hours ago, Gabe said:

That's not an advent calendar though, it's just a box with coffee in.

Poor show.

Bit harsh, or are you an advent purist that insists on a cardboard door to open ?

I was more interested in espresso from the bag, do you have to squeeze it really hard to build up pressure ?

It's on the Sorted food advent video from Friday, they liked it.

3 hours ago, Gotters said:

Bit harsh, or are you an advent purist that insists on a cardboard door to open ?

I was more interested in espresso from the bag, do you have to squeeze it really hard to build up pressure ?

It's on the Sorted food advent video from Friday, they liked it.

I knew I should've added an emoji. It was a tongue in cheek comment, though I personally wouldn't buy it (and pay the Christmas premium for it) versus just buying them separately because it *is* just pouches chucked in a not very interesting box. 

I do love coffee though and it is an interesting idea, so I'm going to look at the website now. :)

On 05/12/2021 at 13:00, Gabe said:

I do love coffee though and it is an interesting idea, so I'm going to look at the website now. :)

Just following-up on this, having had a look around the website I've asked my mum to get me some of the little tasting boxes (5 pouches per box) for Christmas - so thanks @Stopharagefor indirectly introducing me to The Brew Company :)

1 hour ago, Commander Jameson said:

I got the Tony's one. Spoiler about yesterday's chocolate.

Hide contents

It was deliberately empty to highlight the inequalities of chocolate production. Very clever.

Hmmm, conflicted on this one. Okay with the messaging and idea (and being short changed) but they were too obtuse about it for my liking.

After finding the drawer empty at 10pm last night I opened the whole calendar and puling our the insert to see if it was really empty of had just migrated to another section. Okay, properly empty. Still think I might have been screwed over. Finally read the 'story' on the inside cover and it sort of made sense. But even then it was more alluded to than stated. Still left wondering a little bit until your post now tbh.

A simple message inside the calendar when you opened it would have saved all that strife.

And because I opened the calendar...

Spoiler

I've sort of ruined today (9th) and the 24th for myself. I'd not noticed the doors for them were larger.

On 03/12/2021 at 16:56, Stopharage said:

Got this coffee advent calendar. Quite a weird setup but basically you get a pouch with ground coffee in. Pour hot water into it, leave for a few minutes then pour out of the spot for a fairly decent espresso. You can reuse the pouches too. New pouch every day. 

How have you been enjoying the coffees, @Stopharage? I ask because you can now get it for £23 on Amazon, so I'm going to go for it as a present from my parents.

8 hours ago, Gabe said:

How have you been enjoying the coffees, @Stopharage? I ask because you can now get it for £23 on Amazon, so I'm going to go for it as a present from my parents.

I got it for £23 at the start of December and for that money I’d suggest getting a couple of decent bags of 250g coffee. Hasbean have a lovely Xmas blend. 

The coffee is nice enough and it’s enjoyable having a new one to try every day. There haven’t been any stinkers but nothings really blown me away. I’m drinking it as espresso rather than adding milk, extra water etc. 

I have a Sage Barista coffee machine so probably spoilt for decent coffee ordinarily. If your parents don’t have a similar set up then it will be a nice surprise. I’m glad I bought it as it’s giving me a taste of a range of beans/countries but the coffee is a bit hit and miss. Great idea though. The pouches work pretty well and are reusable and the whole things is supposedly carbon and plastic neutral and recyclable. 

9 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

I’m drinking it as espresso rather than adding milk, extra water etc. 

I have a Sage Barista coffee machine so probably spoilt for decent coffee ordinarily. If your parents don’t have a similar set up then it will be a nice surprise. I’m glad I bought it as it’s giving me a taste of a range of beans/countries but the coffee is a bit hit and miss. Great idea though. The punches work pretty well and are reusable and the whole things is supposedly carbon and plastic neutral and recyclable. 

When you say espresso do you mean black - espresso is under high pressure in a machine (an aero press isn't even espresso), if you are putting filter ground coffee into an espresso machine I'd imagine you get a pretty thin watery shot.

Our experience with the Pact advent so far is similar - it's been a fantastic learning tool for narrowing down the tasting notes into what we really like, or don't as is more the case. Light high acidity roasts just aren't to our tastebuds, neither is anything described as floral or tea like. Medium roast  low acidity with choc/nut is the sweet spot.

We have gained one though that we've got a bag of already with the Pact Zaroca so overall it's a really worthwhile experience with half the box still to go. 

5 minutes ago, Gotters said:

When you say espresso do you mean black - espresso is under high pressure in a machine (an aero press isn't even espresso), if you are putting filter ground coffee into an espresso machine I'd imagine you get a pretty thin watery shot.

Our experience with the Pact advent so far is similar - it's been a fantastic learning tool for narrowing down the tasting notes into what we really like, or don't as is more the case. Light high acidity roasts just aren't to our tastebuds, neither is anything described as floral or tea like. Medium roast  low acidity with choc/nut is the sweet spot.

We have gained one though that we've got a bag of already with the Pact Zaroca so overall it's a really worthwhile experience with half the box still to go. 

Yeah, just meant a black coffee. As good as the pouches are, you don’t get the richness of flavour as you do with the machine. It’s a much more watered down experience. 

I'm a sucker for spending $50 or so on a good artisan calendar. I've made a change this year, me and partner bought a proper nice wooden calendar that we'll re-use every year. We go out, pick out specific chocs from a chocolatier and put x2 into each box. That way, every day is a winner. Cheaper too.

image.thumb.png.4488f3270bcf8a6280f8b8cf958d35f7.png

On 15/12/2021 at 19:06, Capwn said:

I'm a sucker for spending $50 or so on a good artisan calendar. I've made a change this year, me and partner bought a proper nice wooden calendar that we'll re-use every year. We go out, pick out specific chocs from a chocolatier and put x2 into each box. That way, every day is a winner. Cheaper too.

image.thumb.png.4488f3270bcf8a6280f8b8cf958d35f7.png

That's a good idea

• 8 months later...

I know it's too soon but some of these are starting to show up now for pre-order, last year showed you do need to be quite quick to get the better or more exclusive ones.

Armed with last years knowledge will be quite targetted this year, nothing that repeats too much like the popcorn or scratchings.

So far I have my eye on this coffee one, whole bean and looks decent

https://yawnbrew.com/products/yawn-coffee-advent-calendar?variant=12989356933214

good site for getting ideas, who knew that you could get 20+ different mini hotel buffet style jams

https://adventcalendar.co.uk/bonne-maman-advent-calendar/

• 2 weeks later...
On 25/08/2022 at 13:18, Gotters said:

I know it's too soon but some of these are starting to show up now for pre-order, last year showed you do need to be quite quick to get the better or more exclusive ones.

Exactly this. If you fancy it and it contains something that will keep then it's probably best to buy it as early as possible. The people who make and stock this stuff want it to sell out well before December, because the last thing they want is to discount the leftovers massively. If people order high-end advent calendars from my Sainsbury's in the last couple of weeks before December, chances are they're getting sent a Frozen-themed one, because it's all we'll have left. (The number of times I get asked by customers where the advent calendars are on November the 30th or December the 1st is daft - they're in other people's homes you muppet).

1 hour ago, revlob said:

Given the trajectory of energy prices, my preferred advent calendar this Christmas will be one with a hot shower or a cup of tea behind each door.

Duracell advent calendar - power your small appliances to save on mains usage. ;) 

On 25/08/2022 at 13:18, Gotters said:

Armed with last years knowledge will be quite targetted this year, nothing that repeats too much like the popcorn or scratchings.

So far I have my eye on this coffee one, whole bean and looks decent

https://yawnbrew.com/products/yawn-coffee-advent-calendar?variant=12989356933214

good site for getting ideas, who knew that you could get 20+ different mini hotel buffet style jams

https://adventcalendar.co.uk/bonne-maman-advent-calendar/

I got the yawn brew one last year since the pact one sold out. Had some decent coffee in there and it’s nice to have a traditional “door” style calendar :)

I’ve just ordered my one for this year https://www.theboardgamehut.co.uk/product/exit-advent-calendar-the-hunt-for-the-golden-book/

well I say “one” but if I can get a pact coffee calendar I’ll have that as well :)

My issue with the Pact one was the coffee comes pre ground with no whole bean option, I'd prefer beans as have a pretty good idea now what to do with a lighter or darker roast for my preference.

On 13/12/2021 at 01:02, Gabe said:

I did get this last year.

Still not had a single coffee out of it.

I meant this coffee one.

It's still not a proper advent calendar though, @Gotters :P

On 03/12/2021 at 16:56, Stopharage said:

• 4 weeks later...

Mine is here!

yHbSsac.jpg

One bag of jelly beans per day, and it looks like each bag is all one flavour. The flavours are shown on the back (and thankfully there's nothing too gross in there) and there's one "surprise" flavour for the 24th. :wub: 

I usually buy loads for my close family; wife, son, dad, two sisters, two brother in laws and three nephews.

Will do the same but probably combine some up and give hampers etc rather than individual.

Bloody love a good advent calendar.