IGNORED

Cotton Turns Thirty - tea time!

Keyboard Koala

bVbgMU7.jpg

A young witch called Nata de Cotton is hot headed, immature, overreacts and rides on a broomstick, accompanied by a fairy named Silk. Cotton is crazy about certain candies called “willows”. Those candies are so good that she won’t let anything get in her way to get them. Talk about sugar cravings!

Multiple Cotton series titles will be coming overseas for the very first time as part of the series' 30th anniversary celebrations!

The original adventures of Cotton the witch will soon be making a comeback thanks to ININ Games and Strictly Limited Games. In recognition of the series’ 30th anniversary, both companies will be publishing several of the its earliest entries in the coming months. These include Cotton 100%, which was originally only released on the Super Famicom in Japan; the fabled Panorama Cotton, a pseudo-3D  shoot'em-up which called the Sega Mega Drive home (but again, only in Japan), and Cotton & Guardian Force Saturn Tribute. This last one includes three games originally only released in Japan in the arcades and for the Sega Saturn: Cotton 2, Cotton Boomerang and a non-Cotton game known as Guardian Force.

The first two games: Cotton 100% and Panorama Cotton will be available through both ININ and Strictly Limited. ININ Games is the place to go for the digital version on the PSN store or Nintendo eShop, while Strictly Limited Games will be offering fans physical limited and collector’s editions. As for Cotton & Guardian Force Saturn Tribute, it will be available as a physical limited or collector’s edition through Strictly Limited Games, while the digital versions will be available on either the PSN store or the Nintendo eShop.

That seems to be all Cotton games ever released, apart from the abysmal Dreamcast exclusive Rainbow Cotton.

And besides this massive trip down memory lane, Success (the developer behind the series) is releasing two new games in this seminal series as well!

Cotton Reboot! being a complete remake of the very first Cotton arcade game for the current gen of consoles, whereas Cotton Rock 'n' Roll will be a completely new title in the series.

Cotton Reboot trailer:

Cotton Rock 'n' Roll trailer:

All games should be available before the end of this year :)

4St6Ef2.png

8 minutes ago, FatOldGeek said:

Are these the new releases that have got something ridiculous like 15 frames of input lag or something different? 

looks like it's about 3 different games, the recent bad input lag one i think is specifically just one of them:

17 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

This last one includes three games: Cotton 2, Cotton Boomerang and a non-Cotton game known as Guardian Force.

As for Cotton Guardian Force Saturn Tribute, it will only be available as a physical limited or collector’s edition through Strictly Limited Games.

(although not sure about the others, maybe they have bad input lag too?!)

9 minutes ago, Keyboard Koala said:

Avoid the Saturn games then. A shame as I was looking forward to playing the whole series - although Reboot! is the one I was looking forward to the most.

Any word on the SNES and MD games?

I meant Cotton Reboot has no/minimal lag - not Cotton Remix.

For what it's worth, the developers of Saturn Tribute did say they're working on fixing/reducing the input lag issues; but then again, the games in that are literally just running on a ported version of SSF, so I'm not sure how much I'd trust their ability to act on that. Still, hopefully it will get fixed, as having good versions of all games in the series available on modern consoles would be ideal.

(Yes, even Rainbow Cotton, if only to satisfy my curiosity; I imagine its reputation plus the lack of an easy-to-port emulator for the developers to rip-off take inspiration from makes that somewhat unlikely to ever emerge, however)

I have a spare Cotton Reboot LE that I could sell to a budding forumite. It's a wicked fun game. Would rather it goes to someone from the forum, otherwise I will put it on the eBays.

Yes, the Saturn one has high input lag, but i got it anyway. I hope they can patch it up a bit better. It's running a Saturn emulator, which is interesting in itself, and people have side-loaded other games when hacking around, with decent success.

From the ones I don't have, I'm most excited about Rock n Roll.

Cotton Reboot is excellent. Thoroughly recommended.

I have the Cotton 2/Boomerang and Guardian Force release sitting here too but I haven’t yet played it. I’m kind of dreading it because of the reported lag issues.

Is Rock n Roll being developed by someone who knows what they’re doing?

7 minutes ago, Droo said:

I’m actually gonna preorder that (not the tat edition…)

but I get this when I go to the site:

“Site may be hacked”. I’ve never seen that before, safe to buy?

98A1AD20-B715-4BC1-81A6-662558E8A250.png

Strictly limited is reliable. Picked up a few games from them in the past no issues other than the usual long waiting time you get with these limited run companies.

2 hours ago, Camel said:

Cotton Reboot is excellent. Thoroughly recommended.

I have the Cotton 2/Boomerang and Guardian Force release sitting here too but I haven’t yet played it. I’m kind of dreading it because of the reported lag issues.

Is Rock n Roll being developed by someone who knows what they’re doing?

Afaict, it's being developed by Success themselves, and looks to be running in the same engine they used for Reboot! , so I think it'll be ok. The emulation of the older games was apparently handled by a different company.

EDIT: Not the same team apparently. Reboot! was made by newcomers Sangatu Usagi no Mori. It's not the same engine either. Therefore not the same lovely pixel art. Shucks.

Ah, sorry, but I hardly ever wade into these big threads for several titles at once. Hence I wasn't even aware of this reboot until I saw a review in retro gamer some days ago.

That's why I took the liberty of starting its own thread, in case other people who don't really venture into mega threads might be missing out.

Hey, I'm not criticising at all! It's a great thing to see any games getting their own threads.

Some of us in the megathread have tried in the past a couple of times, but these games tend to be a bit too niche so the threads don't tend to get any traction and end up sinking without a trace on a fast moving forum like this.

It's always nice to see when a name is big enough to draw people in and get a little discussion going.

Thanks for the thread @Keyboard Koala I've just ordered the Cotton & Guardian Force Saturn Tribute with added tat. 😂

This is actually one of my favourite game series. I actually own a copy of Panorama Cotton with the teacups! 

I do think Rainbow Cotton is better than people make out, i actually get a lot of enjoyment out of it. Sure Cotton is too big for the screen but you do get used to it and the overall gameplay is fun. Not everybody's cup of tea though. 

Really glad they're making a big deal of the 30th anniversary as I thought the series was dead in the water, not to be seen again. Would love a brand new entry to the series!