IGNORED

I have gaming OCD / Your weird gaming traits

CovisGod

I can't replay 99.9% of games (or reread books or rewatch films). I tend to remember almost everything about them. My memory of games and other media must take up most of my brain.

On the contrary I can barely remember anyone's name or date of birth.

14 minutes ago, El Spatula said:

I can't replay 99.9% of games (or reread books or rewatch films). I tend to remember almost everything about them. My memory of games and other media must take up most of my brain.

Same lol weird 

i also can’t remember anything I was supposed to do unless it is written down in detail. But remember a bunch of lines from films I watched 100 years ago. 

Similar to the above posts... is "habitual note-taking" weird enough? Too weird? I'm pretty disorganised and generally have a sieve-like memory, and I often make hand-written notes for the most trivial things. It's probably the opposite of @CovisGod forgetting things and restarting. I note down control schemes and gameplay concepts when I first start playing (you wouldn't think it would be an issue with today's games, but getting used games with no manual, or emulating them, and finding that they don't have in-game tutorials...); I scribble down notable leads and threads in narrative-driven games, or locations of bosses in Metroidvanias because the map doesn't show you where they are even if you've met (and died to) them once. Ahem.

People already read other players’ notes when they have to visit GameFAQs so I can't be that insane, right? :unsure: 

For me it is stealth games that expect you to accept getting caught and go into full out battles as a result. I will reload saves a million times, restart levels or games altogether if necessary. Also I will not drink any potions, ever apparently. 

If  the sequel to a franchise comes out that I’m a fan of I have to buy it immediately, play it for about 5 minutes and the proceed to go back to the original game in the series and play each one until I get to the new one.

It will be at precisely this moment that epic fatigue sets in and I cannot be arsed to play it. 

But by the time I do think about it again, the game will be a fiver in the shops and I’ll have yet to start the thing properly.

1 hour ago, CovisGod said:

If I’m really into a game but suddenly then busy for a week and don’t play it I can’t then go back to that game because in my head I’ve forgot what point I was at, can’t remember the controls, I’d have to start the game all over again. There’s certain games like The Witcher that I’ve literally started and got to between 6 and 30 hours in about 10 times, however if I leave the game I can’t then go back to it weeks later, I’d have to start it again 🤦‍♂️ It’s taken me 24 years and still haven’t completed Final Fantasy 7, despite getting closer possibly 20 times or more.

I'm like this. Most recently Ghost of Tsushima. I played it for about 6 hours and started to git gud, and then Control was free so I rinsed that for a while and now it's been since January since I played GoTs and I can't face the idea of starting over again to learn the controls :( I think I just need to take a couple days of work and get absolutely blazed and have at it for 48 hours.

1 hour ago, CovisGod said:

The other thing is online gaming, I can’t do it, the thought of me being shit at something whilst everyone else is miles better because they’ve learnt the game and played it longer fills me with dread

Worrying about being a newbie who loses to more experienced players is nothing! I don't mind losing like that!

The really terrifying thought is: "What if I put hours and hours into the game, read all the guides and FAQs, follow all the advice about strategies to play it all the way you're supposed to... and still lose just as much as I did when I was a button-bashing newbie?" :(

2 hours ago, CovisGod said:

I didn’t know where to put this so I started a thread. I’m a weird gamer, I know I’m weird and was just curious if anyone else has any gaming traits they dislike about themselves,

For me I have a set of personal gaming “rules” in my head and I hate them, this isn’t a new thing, I’ve been like it since I was a kid, so basically I can only play one game at a time, I can’t flit between multiple games, one game has to be my absolute everything where by I eat sleep and dream it for the period of time I play it, if the game doesn’t grab me in that way immediately I never play it again.

If I’m really into a game but suddenly then busy for a week and don’t play it I can’t then go back to that game because in my head I’ve forgot what point I was at, can’t remember the controls, I’d have to start the game all over again. There’s certain games like The Witcher that I’ve literally started and got to between 6 and 30 hours in about 10 times, however if I leave the game I can’t then go back to it weeks later, I’d have to start it again 🤦‍♂️ It’s taken me 24 years and still haven’t completed Final Fantasy 7, despite getting closer possibly 20 times or more.

The other thing is online gaming, I can’t do it, the thought of me being shit at something whilst everyone else is miles better because they’ve learnt the game and played it longer fills me with dread and has meant me missing out on some of the best games of all time. It’s the thought of someone I’m playing with thinking “What’s this absolute Jeb end doing”

Anyone else got any weird gaming habits they’d like to share?

I promise I mean this in the kindest way possible, but sounds a bit ADD to me! Does this kind of hyper focus happen in other stuff you do? 

I'm basically the same. And I'm defo further along 'the spectrum' than most. But I don't do the forgetting how to play bit enough to feel like I have to start over. 

Having an obsession keeps me sane. I think. 

2 hours ago, El Spatula said:

Interesting, I'm almost the opposite. I rarely play games, watch films or read books again after going through them once but I struggle to remember any details about most of them.

1 hour ago, Fused gamer said:

I have to name myself Link in any Zelda game. 

Just an aside, but the first time I played FF7 my party were named ‘Fanny’, ‘Mr. T’… I think Cloud even had my name? I didn’t understand that it wasn’t an RPG in the western sense I suppose. In hindsight it’s really odd that they let you change the names in the first place.

As well as only being able to play one game at a time, I pretty much have to completely clear every area before moving on in an RPG or adventure game. I both love and hate this. 

For example, I’m currently playing Judgment. I’m on chapter 12 and have done every side quest and friend quest available so far. I’ve also eaten every meal, drunk every drink and taken a photo of every tiny QR code. I’m sure a few more quests will pop up before the end, but I will not be able to move on to the last area until I know I’ve done all I can. 

It’s fine to miss the odd small thing as long as I don’t realise or see 45/46 orbs collected on an in game checklist. 

This is the reason I usually avoid metroidvanias as I know not being able to open a door will drive me to insanity. Deaths Door was great as I was able to keep check of what needed doing in my head, and the areas were small and fun enough to get around to go back for things.

10 hours ago, CovisGod said:

I didn’t know where to put this so I started a thread. I’m a weird gamer, I know I’m weird and was just curious if anyone else has any gaming traits they dislike about themselves,

For me I have a set of personal gaming “rules” in my head and I hate them, this isn’t a new thing, I’ve been like it since I was a kid, so basically I can only play one game at a time, I can’t flit between multiple games, one game has to be my absolute everything where by I eat sleep and dream it for the period of time I play it, if the game doesn’t grab me in that way immediately I never play it again.

The other thing is online gaming, I can’t do it, the thought of me being shit at something whilst everyone else is miles better because they’ve learnt the game and played it longer fills me with dread and has meant me missing out on some of the best games of all time. It’s the thought of someone I’m playing with thinking “What’s this absolute Jeb end doing”

Anyone else got any weird gaming habits they’d like to share?

I have some of these tendencies but have got better over the years.

I found I could play different games at the same time but I have to stick to one per system and make sure they are broadly different genres.

I've started forcing myself to go back to games even after a year or two away and it generally isn't as bad as you think, most games replicate other game systems sufficiently that you can pick things up after a while.

I have gone through phases playing online but partly don't because I get no pleasure from trying and losing repeatedly and mainly don't because the age I am now I get a lot of promises from friends that we will play this and that, we buy the game, then ultimately we never sufficiently coordinate enough to actually play it or maybe have a session or two and never pick it up again.

Bit of a weird one from me, but I struggle to go back to games that require quite a bit of time investment if I already have most or all of the achievements unlocked. Take for instance I recently played through Chaosbane on XSX, got 1000GS on it, then went to play the extra chapter but couldn't bring myself to do it because the game was already "complete". However, if the game isn't on an Xbox or PS system with trophies or achievements it's fine, I can happily replay games on other systems whenever. I can also play shmups happily still even if they are 100%.

I'm not even sure what it is with GS and Trophies, I've never really cared much for them until I got my Series X (I was a 360 owner from about 2007 and still have one set up now), yet all of a sudden my mind is telling me no, don't play that, there's no more score to get.

Driving carefully and responsibly in open world games. Ooh, red light, I'd better stop. Ah, bit of a jam ahead, best slow down. KEEP IN THE FUCKING LANE PROPERLY.

Just prior to exiting said car and doing something horrible to legions of unsuspecting goons.

I've grown very averse to fast-travel on open world games. I only fast-travelled once in Breath of the Wild, even though there is a whole in-universe explanation for how it works. I picked the super hardcore difficulty on Days Gone partly because fast travel was totally removed as an option.

I've been ploughing through Horizon Zero Dawn and only succumbed to fast-travelling twice. I think I just like the journey - those quiet travelling bits, and the things that happen on the way, seems like one of the core pillars of the genre.

I don't mind if it's more integrated into the gameplay, though. I liked Far Cry 2's 'bus stop' system, where actually reaching a fast travel location was a relief unto itself, and you were restricted by only being able to travel to other bus stops. I also like GTA and RDR's taxi/stagecoach systems because they feel fully integrated into the game, and you can actually sit back and enjoy the ride if want. Skipping the journey with a single button press is just like falling asleep while being ferried somewhere.

10 hours ago, robdood said:

I promise I mean this in the kindest way possible, but sounds a bit ADD to me! Does this kind of hyper focus happen in other stuff you do? 

I'm basically the same. And I'm defo further along 'the spectrum' than most. But I don't do the forgetting how to play bit enough to feel like I have to start over. 

Having an obsession keeps me sane. I think. 

I was thinking the exact same thing tbh. And do the same as you. I don't need to restart. 

12 minutes ago, Pob said:

I've grown very averse to fast-travel on open world games. I only fast-travelled once in Breath of the Wild, even though there is a whole in-universe explanation for how it works. I picked the super hardcore difficulty on Days Gone partly because fast travel was totally removed as an option.

I've been ploughing through Horizon Zero Dawn and only succumbed to fast-travelling twice. I think I just like the journey - those quiet travelling bits, and the things that happen on the way, seems like one of the core pillars of the genre.

I don't mind if it's more integrated into the gameplay, though. I liked Far Cry 2's 'bus stop' system, where actually reaching a fast travel location was a relief unto itself, and you were restricted by only being able to travel to other bus stops. I also like GTA and RDR's taxi/stagecoach systems because they feel fully integrated into the game, and you can actually sit back and enjoy the ride if want. Skipping the journey with a single button press is just like falling asleep while being ferried somewhere.

Totally this. I didn't fast travel once on my first run through Horizon Zero Dawn. They built this wonderful, beautiful world, why would I want to miss out on exploring it?

Ruining missions for a laugh.

THE SCENE: UNCHARTED 3: A THIEF'S END

ME (IN NATE'S VOICE): "Hey, is this the way you mean Sam?" [Jumps off 1000 foot cliff".

SAM: "Nate!!! Nooooo!!!"

ME (IN NATE'S VOICE): "I think this is a shortcut fellas..." [Drives Jeep off 1000  foot cliff".

SAM AND SULLY: "Nate!!! Nooooo!!!"

ME: [Bends double with laughter]

ME: [Continues doing similar stuff for shits and giggles throughout the entire game meaning it takes much longer due to all the restarts].

I do the same in lots of games, basically Leroy Jenkinsing them for lols.

1 hour ago, spanx said:

Driving carefully and responsibly in open world games. Ooh, red light, I'd better stop. Ah, bit of a jam ahead, best slow down. KEEP IN THE FUCKING LANE PROPERLY.

Just prior to exiting said car and doing something horrible to legions of unsuspecting goons.

im a bit like this. I remember working the gta midnight launch with @Haribokart and our merry band of degenerates, and then we went back to his house and played it. I was given first crack. I don’t stop at red lights, but I stay in the correct lane and don’t floor it most of the time in single player gta. I also park my car properly, and walk to mission triggers. I remember him saying he liked the way I played it, but in my head it was the perfectly reasonable way to play. I like to RP a little bit. Reduces the ludonarrative dissonance. Also the cars in IV were impossible to drive before many hours of practice.