I have gaming OCD / Your weird gaming traits

CovisGod

6 hours ago, Pob said:

I've grown very averse to fast-travel on open world games. I only fast-travelled once in Breath of the Wild, even though there is a whole in-universe explanation for how it works. I picked the super hardcore difficulty on Days Gone partly because fast travel was totally removed as an option.

I've been ploughing through Horizon Zero Dawn and only succumbed to fast-travelling twice. I think I just like the journey - those quiet travelling bits, and the things that happen on the way, seems like one of the core pillars of the genre.

I missed an early mission that would've unlocked fast travel in Deadly Premonition but I preferred driving around Greenvale and listening to York anyway. I also developed a much better sense of the town's layout than I would've if I'd been teleporting everywhere.

20 hours ago, Pob said:

I've grown very averse to fast-travel on open world games. I only fast-travelled once in Breath of the Wild, even though there is a whole in-universe explanation for how it works. I picked the super hardcore difficulty on Days Gone partly because fast travel was totally removed as an option.

I've been ploughing through Horizon Zero Dawn and only succumbed to fast-travelling twice. I think I just like the journey - those quiet travelling bits, and the things that happen on the way, seems like one of the core pillars of the genre.

I don't mind if it's more integrated into the gameplay, though. I liked Far Cry 2's 'bus stop' system, where actually reaching a fast travel location was a relief unto itself, and you were restricted by only being able to travel to other bus stops. I also like GTA and RDR's taxi/stagecoach systems because they feel fully integrated into the game, and you can actually sit back and enjoy the ride if want. Skipping the journey with a single button press is just like falling asleep while being ferried somewhere.

I’m similar. I also only use the horse/beast that you are invariably given in open world games to make traversal faster once I’ve fully explored an area. The exception here is Red Dead Redemption and it’s sequel because you’re a cowboy and thus riding a horse is the correct method of transport. 

15 hours ago, Jolly said:

If it's abundantly obvious that the game wants me to go in one direction, I will exhaustively explore the opposite first. 

I don't think that's unusual at all, especially in RPGs where there will almost always be some token treasure reward for doing so. Even in action games you would expect at least some of the time to find something (even if it is just a pointless collectable with no gameplay significance.) 

I’ve spent 100 of hours playing fallout 4 over many different formats and restarting each time. I’ve never finished it and in my last 100 hr game I never even went to diamond city..just built settlements.

21 hours ago, tnman said:

I don’t trust Quick Resume and such, so I quit and load a game every time I finish or start playing.

Even on the switch? Cause that would be hardcore 

Being a regular watcher of speed running I’ve picked up the trait of positioning my character to be in the ‘right place’ to finish the level quicker. I’m not actually speed running myself, it just put the character there.

1 hour ago, Goemon said:

Being a regular watcher of speed running I’ve picked up the trait of positioning my character to be in the ‘right place’ to finish the level quicker. I’m not actually speed running myself, it just put the character there.

Early evidence that watching speed runs is bad for your mental health.