IGNORED

The Man Utd Thread

5R7

9 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

I hate this 4-2-2-2 formation.  It's stupid, easy to stop and easy to get at on the counter.

As is any formation, when a side hasn't nailed it.

The worst thing about tonight was, for all the attack-minded subs, there wasn't any prolonged turning of the screw once it went to 1-1. Still, for the rest of the season it's a work in progress, so at least there's that to hide behind for a bit.

Imagine making Jonjo fucking Shelvey look like Redondo. Fucks sake.

There are no positives from that performance. Absolutely none. We don't have the players for the way Rangnick wants us to play. But I guess he will persist in the way Klopp did when he first arrived at Liverpool. Another squad overhaul incoming then.

Now that Ralf has 3 games with the team I want him to be ruthless. 

Maguire

Rashford 

Bruno 

These 3 in particular should be dropped for Baily, VDB and Lingard. Pep would never put up with such abysmal performances week after week. Can someone tell me how many times Bruno has relinquished possession over the past 5 games? It must be around 50 times! Rashford hasn't had a good game for as long as I can remember and Maguire is just fucking useless. He can't even do the basics right.

Also, who's the set-piece coach? He needs to be fired asap. We're the only team who hasn't scored from a corner or free kick this season. Laughable all round really.

2 minutes ago, sith said:

Maguire

Rashford 

Bruno 

These 3 in particular should be dropped for Baily, VDB and Lingard. Pep would never put up with such abysmal performances week after week. Can someone tell me how many times Bruno has relinquished possession over the past 5 games? It must be around 50 times! Rashford hasn't had a good game for as long as I can remember and Maguire is just fucking useless. He can't even do the basics right.

Also, who's the set-piece coach? He needs to be fired asap. We're the only team who hasn't scored from a corner or free kick this season. Laughable all round really.

2018 isn't it, from a set piece.

34 minutes ago, sith said:

Maguire

Rashford 

Bruno 

Pretty sure I saw something saying Bruno was suspended for the match against Burnley so you’ll get at least one of your wishes.

Well, I suppose one plus for United is that he'd definitely get in the team.  Footballers are generally very confident characters, but even then you'd have to wonder whether you were going to be able to dislodge Kante, Jorginho, and Kovacic from the first 11.  Plus, the change of coach would have made a difference. Players want to play for a coach who teaches them to be better players. I remain a big supporter of Ole, but he wasn't perceived to be doing that.

He'd be a superb signing.

1 hour ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Anyway, today's tea-break teaser from my brother: Name the thirteen French players to have played for United's first-team.

I think I've got 10 off the top of my head, but it depends whether or not one of them counts as French...

Spoiler

Pogba

Martial

Verane

Cantona

Prunier

Barthez

Blanc

Saha

Evra

Hannibal - he was born in France and played for their youth teams. He's now declared for Tunisia, so is he still French?  :D

I'm pretty sure I'm missing some obvious ones as well.

Edit - Bellion

23 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

Well, I suppose one plus for United is that he'd definitely get in the team.  Footballers are generally very confident characters, but even then you'd have to wonder whether you were going to be able to dislodge Kante, Jorginho, and Kovacic from the first 11. 

Kante and Jorginho are 30 though, and Kante is always getting injuries.

23 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

Plus, the change of coach would have made a difference. Players want to play for a coach who teaches them to be better players. I remain a big supporter of Ole, but he wasn't perceived to be doing that.

But there's currently no permanent manager at United, and Tuchel sort of isn't bad at coaching? Is Rice likely to look at Jorginho being ranked just behind Messi and Lewandowski for the Ballon d'Or, something which just a few years ago when Sarri was there wouldn't seem possible given the criticism of him ('what does he do?') or look at midfielder Pogba do mostly nothing for 6 years and midfielder Van De Beek be ignored and think he'd rather choose United. Pogba's and Van De Beek's problems are unique to them, but it's just curious most other top teams don't have these problems. 

I think you'd have to be more confident to think you can be the Man United signing that after a few years isn't called 'not good enough'. Everyone, be honest, Rice isn't flourishing at United, he wouldn't be a vital element that propels the club to challenging for the league, he would cut a frustrated figure more often than not. Not because he isn't good, but because that's what happens to most players who come here. 

1 hour ago, feltmonkey said:

I think I've got 10 off the top of my head, but it depends whether or not one of them counts as French...

Hide contents

Pogba

Martial

Verane

Cantona

Prunier

Barthez

Blanc

Saha

Evra

Hannibal - he was born in France and played for their youth teams. He's now declared for Tunisia, so is he still French?  :D

I'm pretty sure I'm missing some obvious ones as well.

Edit - Bellion

No for Hannibal.

Could well be that Rice fancies himself to lift United, and reckons he can be the man by doing so. It's a bigger challenge to take.

44 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

Kante and Jorginho are 30 though, and Kante is always getting injuries.

But there's currently no permanent manager at United, and Tuchel sort of isn't bad at coaching?

All this is true, but I don't think anyone is claiming that he'd rather join us than Chelsea. Chelsea are very obviously his first choice.  I'm just speculating on why the prospect of joining United might have gone from "no chance" to "well, maybe I suppose."

3 hours ago, GamesGamesGames said:

Anyway, today's tea-break teaser from my brother: Name the thirteen French players to have played for United's first-team.

Spoiler

Cantona, Barthez, Silvestre, Evra, Blanc, Pogba, Martial, Schneiderlin, Saha, Varane... Obertan, Bellion...

I'm out!

I had the one you didn't get, so between us we've got them.

Spoiler

It's William Prunier, AKA Cantona's mate who got drafted in during a defensive crisis.

I can't believe I forgot Silvestre, but Obertan and Schneiderlin for me fall more into the category of "I forgot that they were French."

It's beyond tedious now to keep mentioning Van De Beek I know and people will scoff at this but whatever, it's bad player management to continue to ignore a player who would have seen a change of coach as a major confidence boost. 5 games in it will be shot again. It's not about any one player being the 'saviour' of the team, I don't think football works like that, especially not about such a link player VDB is.

He's an £35m asset left to rot who can't get a game. If every other midfielder was injured/had covid, I'd expect a complete skipping of the midfield, 5-5 honestly with VDB looking on forlornly. The final nail in his coffin might be his previous manager Ten Haag who got so much out of him previously coming to United and not fancying him either. I know the reply to this will be 'well obviously he's not good enough'. Because that's never been said about a United player in the last 8 years. I just think he deserves a run in the team. 

I was quite excited at the signing of Van De Beek but I'd rather the club didn't make any signings ever again if they have no interest in getting the best out of them. Or in VDB's case, anything out of him. At least Sancho is playing. 

How is he such kryptonite for United? He is tidy, doesn't lose the ball, doesn't have a shit attitude like half the players. 

6 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

All this is true, but I don't think anyone is claiming that he'd rather join us than Chelsea. Chelsea are very obviously his first choice.  I'm just speculating on why the prospect of joining United might have gone from "no chance" to "well, maybe I suppose."

Maybe just the agent doing his thing? Get United interested, start a bidding war, and force Chelsea to pay a higher fee/ wages even though Chelsea is his nailed on first choice?

5 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

How is he such kryptonite for United? He is tidy, doesn't lose the ball, doesn't have a shit attitude like half the players. 

His attitude hasn't been great since Rangnick has come in, although fuck knows why - he must know he'd get a chance if he just got his head down. I'm more surprised Lingard hasn't started tbh, because he's ready made for the system and has been grafting his bollocks off.