The Man Utd Thread

5R7

Brighton deserved the win.

A lot of the problems were the same as last season. Fred and McTominay and not a Premier League midfield. They were awful.  Rashford looks a broken man.  Bruno is ineffective - nothing he does seems to come off anymore.

The only real positive is that Eriksen was brilliant. His touch, passing, and understanding of the game was several levels above everyone around him.

Maguire was a lot better than he was for most of last season. I'm not saying he's suddenly a great player, but he wasn't a liability, and that's a plus.  Martinez had a very mixed game. He got muscled off the ball worryingly easily once in the first half, and looked a bit lost a couple of times, but he grew into the game and stepped up when others (McTominay, Rashford, Sancho, Bruno) were hiding.  He was getting frustrated at the lack of moved in front of him in the second half. Guys, he's a brilliant passer of the ball! Make a fucking run! 

Dalot put in a real Dalot performance. Often stupid, and full of random errors, but he kept trying and did some good stuff when we were pressuring them.

McFred should never start as our midfield again, but of course we have no fucking option.

Bruno looked like our least effective attacking midfielder. Eriksen was streets ahead of him, and Donny made more intelligent passes and touches in his cameo than Bruno managed in that second half.  What has happened to him?

*checks match reviews after being unable to watch the game* 

3 hours ago, feltmonkey said:

Fred and McTominay and not a Premier League midfield. They were awful.  Rashford looks a broken man.  Bruno is ineffective - nothing he does seems to come off anymore.

oh

Rashford is broken again?!! It's only been one game! I've always liked Eriksen, the Mata thing of finding the game easy but with legs. Can't he start in midfield instead of one of Fred, McTominay? Following football gets crap when your team is crap, anyone think the De Jong transfer will happen? I think it's fair to accept that clearly Spurs and Arsenal are ahead of Man United and will secure 3rd and 4th depending on how Chelsea do. It wouldn't be (/gary neville) unacceptable to finish behind them or accept that. 

Ten Hag only seemed to take this poisoned chalice job because of assurities over transfers and tbf plenty were saying nothing would change with this. I expected more signings. Seems like clubs in less need like City and Chelsea have brought in more.

33 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

i was in work, can somebody TLDW, was it shite?

Some glimpses of goodness but ultimately it felt a bit same old same old. Remember Ralf's first game where we looked new and improved for a bit before turning to rubbish? It was a bit like that.

3 hours ago, 5R7 said:

i was in work, can somebody TLDW, was it shite?

We have problems, huge problems.  We knew about them going into the game, and there they were, writ large for everyone to see.  We had no striker, and the players in midfield are quite terrible players.  We have known this for some time, but nothing has been done to fix these flaws apart from this persuit of De Jong that is looking increasingly futile.  Shame, because he would have fixed a third of the problems straight away.  

I said two months ago that if Fred plays the role of accepting the ball from the cente-backs, he will be used as the trigger for the press by every opponent, and lo and behold, that's exactly what Brighton did, pretty successfully.  I hadn't even thought about the fact that he rarely passes through the lines.  If they play is broken, like just after we've won the ball, he can pick a pass, but he can't do it during a structured build-up against an organised team.  So even if he doesn't lose the ball, he just passes it sideways to Shaw or back to Maguire or Martinez.  McTominay should not be at a top club (he isn't lol) because he doesn't do anything anymore.  He used to impose himself on games, make a few tackles, and drive with the ball, but now he just tries not to get involved.  He's never looked a world-beater, but now he categorically doesn't look good enough.

We should expect more of what happened today over the rest of the season.  We need to give Ten Hag time to implement his ideas.  He's the first manager we've had for a while who has any of those, so it will be an adjustment for much of the squad.  We need at least four or five players before we can even consider top four.  That doesn't mean four or five signings particularly, if someone is developed to be able to play a position, that's the same thing.  So if we manage to teach Dalot how to concentrate at right back, that's one.  If a youth player steps up to play competently in midfield, that would be one.  If Rashford manages to climb out of his personal well of despair, that would be one.  

It's going to take time.

It's going to take time for sure, but it's another recruitment failure that Ten Hag has started the season without the two most important signings he wanted in central midfield and striker. He probably won't be getting them either, at least the ones he wanted.

As always, it comes back to the owners interfering with the football side of the club. If Ten Hag succeeds at United, it'll be despite the club. (Depending on what you grade success as - to the Glazers it's solely Champions League Football ).

Also lots of reports last night that we are also bidding 8 million for 33 year old striker Arnautovic who has previously played for Stoke and West Ham and now the mighty Bologna. It then later came out that he had previously said some offensive/racist stuff so I imagine that one won't be happening any more.

Glazernomics in full effect.

Usually when a new manager starts they flatter to deceive by spending big (often regardless of whether the manager wants those players or not).

This time the mask has well and truly slipped and the 'new regime' is proving itself to be just as complicit in lining the pockets of the leaches as the old one.

An utter farce.

1 hour ago, Plissken said:

Given that the club is pretty much a soap opera anyway, adding Veronique Rabiot to the whole mix seems like tossing petrol onto a bonfire.

They should go and grab Mauro Icardi, get him and Wanda in the mix too. 

3 hours ago, teddymeow said:

Frenkie de Jong: Barcelona midfielder 'wants to stay' says club president Laporta - https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/62462006

If this is truly, honestly the case then we need to walk "the fuck" away. As we probably should have done 2 months ago 

Yeah, but it's Laporta. If he said it, it definitely isn't true. He's a slippery turd of a man.

firstly 🤣

second, why not just stick Erickson, garner, and DVB in there. i mean, it cant get worse, and those guys know how to pass and move!