The Man Utd Thread

5R7

I really can’t comprehend how Maguire is still captain, by the way. He was straight down the tunnel yesterday, whilst (only) 7 of our players had the decency to go to the away fans and apologise. DdG was clearly apologising and asked Sky Sports to do the post match interview and stand up and accept the blame.

What is the point of Maguire as captain? What are we not seeing? I’d love to know. We need an Amazon documentary.

58 minutes ago, spork said:

I don't think there are many (any?) managers who could come in and get our current players competing without several transfers in and out.

There's got to be some middle ground though, between transferring in and out loads of players and becoming world beaters/winning the league and not getting everything you want but not being humiliated by teams that a few years ago were in the Championship. 

No one take that as Man United arrogance and entitlement at teams that at least know what they're doing. 

Everyone expected United to play well and beat these teams, if not draw because of defensive lapses, not be completely inept. It's like Tuchel saying he doesn't want the uncertainty around Chelsea allowing them an excuse to lower their standards. 

Ten Hag has had an entire pre season, as well as time before to look at and assess, something Conte when he arrived at Spurs or Klopp who he arrived at Liverpool didn't have. Their low points were mostly being unable to create chances in dour low scoring games, not being humiliated. Though Klopp inherited a comical defence so there were stupid moments, but anything like that against Brentford? 

I'm honestly gutted we never got an All or Nothing documentary covering last season, it would have been so interesting. The chance has gone now.

considering ETH didnt get the chance to meet Henderson. If henderson keeps playing like he was against west ham, and DDG carries on like that! i wouldnt be surprised if he did put henderson in goal as first choice for next season!

Everyone has got an opinion on why things are so bad at United. 

It's the transfer window, with all those players leaving without being replaced, the ones we got in being flawed, our main targets being botched.  It's the club hierarchy, too many people from the financial world above the football people.  It's the shadow of Fergie still hanging over the club. It's the owners leeching money, loading the club with debt, putting nothing back, and undermining manager after manager.  Money has been spent though, so it's the recruitment, the wrong players being signed for the wrong reasons.  It's the lack of a barrier between the commercial and footballing sides of the club, so that a new noodle partner is seen as more important than a new defensive midfielder, football decisions are made by money men, signings identified by the scouts are vetoed on the grounds that they wouldn't generate enough social media engagement. 

It's the players themselves, not good enough, not putting in enough effort, not enough character, not enough pride, not enough professionalism.  It's the squad for being so unbalanced and thin in certain areas. It's the manager, not trusting the scouting department and stubbornly insisting on only considering players he's worked with in the Eredivisie, without stopping to think that perhaps they are Eredivisie standard players and you can't get away with the same stuff in the more ruthless, cutthroat, higher-quality Premier League.  It's the all-pervading atmosphere of depression, desperation, and failure surrounding the club.  It's the lack of time being given to the managers.  It's the lack of a plan. It's the lack of a proper Director of Football.  It's a lack of togetherness, snakes in the dressing room, leaking stories to the press.  It's putting faith in the same characters who have only ever failed in the past and hoping that they will suddenly come good.

It's Ronaldo for not pressing. It's Bruno for his terrible form.  It's De Gea for not being as good on the ball as Ederson. It's McFred.  It's Maguire.

What I say to you is this: yes.  You're all right.  It's all of these things and likely a thousand more behind the scenes that we don't even see.  I don't know how this gets put right.  Somehow the ship needs to be pointed in the right direction, even if it travels slowly, and there needs to be a lot of patience because we are a long way from the top, and it will be a long journey back, if we are ever able to do it.

30 minutes ago, JPL said:

They’ve got until Friday to sort this absolute mess out, having waited all summer. I can’t see it happening somehow with this bunch of clowns in charge.

If by Friday you mean before the Liverpool match, I'm going to assume that's an absolute write off and our season will start proper the next weekend, hopefully with at least 1 or 2 signings and a fresh approach to who starts.

1 hour ago, Nicky said:

So todays "What!?" news is Manchester United want to sell JAmes Garner. an academy player we've had since under 8's who's a promising midfielder with a background in defence. Great!

Either ETH doesn't rate him at all, or we need to sell to raise funds to bring in players (because Glazers innit) and no one is going to spend any money on McTominay or Fred and Garner is actually worth something, although he's rumoured to be available for 15 million which seems mighty low!

4 hours ago, spork said:

If by Friday you mean before the Liverpool match, I'm going to assume that's an absolute write off and our season will start proper the next weekend, hopefully with at least 1 or 2 signings and a fresh approach to who starts.

The fact the attitude everywhere is that Liverpool will batter you, it will be a win for you lot. I reckon 2-1. 

22 minutes ago, bradigor said:

The fact the attitude everywhere is that Liverpool will batter you, it will be a win for you lot. I reckon 2-1. 

It’s got that feel about it hasn’t it?  Suppose it will depend a) on how Liverpool square off against Palace tonight and b) how many players Man Utd can get in in the next week or so. 

6 hours ago, Nicky said:

So todays "What!?" news is Manchester United want to sell JAmes Garner. an academy player we've had since under 8's who's a promising midfielder with a background in defence. Great!

Would have thought that would have gone with the news being linked to Vardy!

United are acting as though they're trying to wind the fans up, it's just weird because the fans sort of care and some spend a lot of money and time supporting the team so at least, I don't know, respect them enough to not take the piss. For all the talk of a lack of a sporting director, United I assume have professionals in their scouting team. 

54 minutes ago, bradigor said:

Liverpool fans were saying the same last time around and we all know what happened there. I think the days of anything being able to happen in this fixture are over for a little while.

On 14/08/2022 at 17:03, Nicky said:

Inevitable...

It's not unfair is it? I love the idea of basically saying to the players; 'you're running the same amount as the opposition no matter what'. Apart from dropping players, what can a manager do to drive up standards? Aside from all the 'players will run through brick walls for him' stuff about likeability. Ten Hag is said to be genuinely nice.