IGNORED

The Official Colecovision Thread

WizRider

8 hours ago, filecore said:

Ah that's cool - it's now a Colecovision thread. :) As you might guess from my avatar, I love a bit of Q*bert. I own Q*bert for most systems. The Coleco version is excellent.

I hadn't heard about the SGM. I'm also a big fan of the Atari 7800, and the SGM sounds like a bit like the Atari 7800 XM (Expansion Module)?  The problem in the Atari 7800 community was that it split homebrew dev between original hardware and the new, (between the haves and the have nots, if you like).

I owned Q*bert on the Colecovision and later had a pirate copy on the C64. I loved both but feel like the C64 version edged it because it seemed graphically closer to the arcade original than the Colecovision one, which was far from a given.

I think I may still hold the high score on this forum for the Q*bert conversion which appeared on Sony phone handsets, god knows how long ago...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I wanted to share my ColeCovision experience with this channel. This video is not for everyone. But what I’ve discovered might be beneficial to others new to this games console. Probably not one for those who already know about the system, but for those that might have missed out. I can’t think of a single 80s gaming system that consistently brought high-quality arcade ports into the home. Let me know your thoughts? 

That's a nice video @MLH75.  You seemed really impressed with the machine and it's arcade ports.

I think a lot of people outside the US are surprised by the console as it doesn't appear to have hit the public perception like it did in the US.

I've been playing some of the 'extra' games on my new MiSTer setup and am currently taking a look at all of the Pixelboy releases.  Some are really cool.

20 minutes ago, WizRider said:

That's a nice video @MLH75.  You seemed really impressed with the machine and it's arcade ports.

I think a lot of people outside the US are surprised by the console as it doesn't appear to have hit the public perception like it did in the US.

I've been playing some of the 'extra' games on my new MiSTer setup and am currently taking a look at all of the Pixelboy releases.  Some are really cool.

Very impressed. I can’t believe it wasn’t the PlayStation of its day. The games don’t always necessarily look like the arcade, but they feel like them. And in my humble opinion sometimes play even better than the arcade as they’re not as geared around pumping coins into. 

Awesome, didn't realize we had a thread for this. I had a Colecovision in 1983/4 for Christmas, forget which. Only ever had 3 games, as they were so expensive. Smurfs, Donkey Kong, and Zaxxon. It's unfortunate that it didn't catch on, even with the (now) awful controllers. But it sure spanked the 2600 at the time, and I later moved to the Spectrum+ in 85 which was... yeah not as good as this, but you can''t beat 1.99 for Mastertronic games from your newsagent. 

think I still have the Coleco, but would need to check. It was immaculate apart from the label being picked off the console by the reset button. Child thing, we replaced it with snazzy reflective silver tape.

It was a system I never owned but was always impressed with it. I have a mate with a big ColecoVision collection.

The hardware was awesome for its time. Guess it shows that timing (& marketing and public sentiment/mindshare for want of a better description) is everything with some products in order to enjoy the success they deserve.

Its a fascinating story all round though. The whole company story with the crazy success of Cabbage Patch Dolls (that was Coleco too right?) etc While gaming is currently amazing (and it is much harder to buy an absolute stinker of a game - and if you do it will likely get patched to be at least playable/stable) I really miss that “Wild West Frontier” of gaming where so many diverse companies would throw their hat into the ring and so much was being worked out for the first time. 

Believe a number if ColecoVision games have also been ported/converted to run on Master System as they share such similar architecture. I love this kind of stuff!

Sounds like you've had quite the journey with yours but the wait has made it all the more enjoyable for you now you can finally play it again. Enjoy!

I also have a vague vague memory of Gil in the Simpsons referencing it and saying something like “Why don’t you buy a ColecoVision.......sure it will rust up on you.....oh Gil you’ve done t again or something” but maybe that was a fever dream :)

EDIT: Found it! Not a ColecoVision but a Coleco computer

https://retrocomputing.stackexchange.com/questions/15830/is-the-coleco-computer-from-the-simpsons-based-on-a-real-computer/15831

• 3 months later...