IGNORED

Rewriting a Super Famicom EEPROM

Goemon

I was thinking I’d like a Chrono Trigger but not enough to pay the crazy prices they are for the USA version.

Then I thought about buying a JPN version and getting the EEPROM rewritten to be the English language version. This way I get the Super Famicom cart, box, instructions which I generally prefer but get an English version of the game.

Is this even possible or am I just dreaming?

I’m sure I’ve seen people selling stuff like this but I’m not sure what’s involved. Does anyone know of somewhere that does this as a service?

^^^ Yeah, Voultar has this particular niche-within-a-niche covered and he does it by basically writing a patched ROM to new flash memory module and installing a custom PCB over the original maskrom.

If he was inclined to sell his wares on, say, eBay for us over the pond (as I've noticed some US makers do) then it probably wouldn't be too tricky to organise a UK modder to build the ultimate Chrono Trigger cart. But yeah, bit of a ballache and probably not realistic.

Looks like a bit of fun to be had tinkering with that stuff. I made myself a Mega Man cart out of a Mega Games 2 just to see if I could do it, it would be nice to not have to butcher original carts (even if I do put them back together in the end).

I remember watching this My Life In Gaming youtube video where the host said he liked using the older type flash carts, where you can put the original cart in the top, and then it patches the rom before it reaches the snes (so you can play original carts with english patches for instance). The only problem is that I can't find the video. I think he mentions it in one of the snes videos, which are over an hour long. Anyway, that could also be an option?

Found it: The Super UFO Pro 8

On 28/10/2021 at 10:33, Tomdominer said:

I remember watching this My Life In Gaming youtube video where the host said he liked using the older type flash carts, where you can put the original cart in the top, and then it patches the rom before it reaches the snes (so you can play original carts with english patches for instance). The only problem is that I can't find the video. I think he mentions it in one of the snes videos, which are over an hour long. Anyway, that could also be an option?

Found it: The Super UFO Pro 8

I have one of those !!!

I didn't know wtf it was for, I'm currently using it as a pass through solution on the Analogue Super Nt that is hiding in an original SNES shell !

Gutted. I fair fancied writing the Ted Woolsey FFVI translation to a JP cart just for the sake of playing in English while that pretty, minimalist, cartridge label looks back at me. If it's easier to learn Japanese I'll probably just stick to playing it on the MiSTer.