IGNORED

Games that lose you at "hello"

Unofficial Who

Resident Evil 7 - an amazing game that I loved but can't face starting over because of that whole 20 minute of scripted cut scenes.  By the time I have plugged in all the VR stuff I just want to play, and the game won't let you jump to where the gameplay actually starts.

I recently tried Murder by Numbers, a visual novel detective / sudoku hybrid that really appealed to me. During the conversation scenes whenever someone says something shocking or revelatory the screen flashes white and shakes, accompanied by a 'slap' sound effect. This would be aggravating enough on occasion, but it's so frequent (because everything is high drama) that I quit the game within ten minutes and refunded it.

1 hour ago, Jarik said:

Red Dead Redemption.

Everyone was hyping up this game, so i got it cheap preowned.  I loaded it up, it was running on the title screen... & I couldn't even bring myself to press start.  I didn't want to be a cowboy.  

I'm assuming you didn't know it was a cowboy game before you bought it!

1 hour ago, Alex W. said:

A lot of these could be summed up as “games that don’t show you the actual game for ten hours”.

Yeah, and Yakuza Like a Dragon very nearly lost me, did lose me for 3 months. I only started playing it again this week to bridge the gap to Forza Horizon 5.

For those who don't know, it's now turn based and you spend the first far too many hours doing indentikit fights where your only options are "Punch for free" or "Use movement points to punch a little harder". 

Plus the usual cutscene dump of the first 5-10 hours of any Yakuza. But at least in the old ones you can beat shit up in the meantime, here you pretty much literally just do "Hard punch scripted action" until you run out of MP then "Punch scripted action".

I played Fallout LV, and I watched the opening cut scene about getting shot in the head, blacking out and almost dying. I woke up, and in the very first encounter, I put a bullet in the head of a unsuspecting person. They shrugged it off, span around on the spot, shouted at me and started fighting.

Uninstalled.

5 hours ago, Gringo said:

Nier Automata. I read that it is an amazing game. I was very much excited to play it. The intro was action packed from the start, very engaging. Eventually I got to a boss fight, had no idea what was going on and died. I reloaded and was surprised to be right back at the start of the intro. I figured I must have missed something so replayed the whole section making sure to keep my eyes peeled for a checkpoint. I didn’t notice any but made it to the boss again and died again. To my annoyance I was once again back at the very start of the intro.

This prompted a bit of searching to discover that this wasn’t a mistake. There aren’t any checkpoints and if you die in the intro you are expected to play the 30-40 minute segment again. I’ve no doubt the game is as amazing as I’ve read and people have told me. I’ll never find out though. I simple do not have enough free time in my life to waste on such nonsense.

It's full of fucking awful design decisions. Most overrated game of the gen, hands down. 

2 hours ago, Sabreman said:

I recently tried Murder by Numbers, a visual novel detective / sudoku hybrid that really appealed to me. During the conversation scenes whenever someone says something shocking or revelatory the screen flashes white and shakes, accompanied by a 'slap' sound effect. This would be aggravating enough on occasion, but it's so frequent (because everything is high drama) that I quit the game within ten minutes and refunded it.

This is exactly why I didn't like the game. I wanted to play it as a sort of chilled puzzle game with a story but the flashing was so irritating. Such a cheesy, cheap design decision and completely unnecessary. 

3 hours ago, Gambit said:

There was this Tennis game that was on PS Plus a few months ago. Thought I'd give it a go. The first thing it shows you is a tutorial on how to buy microtransactions. Straight up deleted.

This right here. Any game that does this tells me that the design is going to be skewed towards making the game unenjoyable.

2 hours ago, cowfields said:

I've also got a really strong aversion to dialogue choices that give you three options and then your character doesn't say those things. They just say something vaguely related, or the same thing in different words. It just makes me feel cheated. 

Even when it's done as a joke?

Spoiler

Screenshot_20211031-112822_resize_62.jpg.054ec3d012746e01f0ecbd5e3af49450.jpg

Screenshot_20211031-112843_resize_52.jpg.f7bd5be0834cfe44446cc74c2d490e5a.jpg

(Spoilered just in case there's anyone left who could still have Monkey Island 2's ending spoiled for them!)

I'm sure there are other times in the games when you have to speak to LeChuck or Largo, and have a list of choices of defiant phrases to say, but clicking any of them will just make Guybrush say a terrified "Eek!" or something. (There's the bit in the governor's mansion in MI1 where you speak to Elaine and your only choices are different versions of lovesick gibberish, but that's not quite the same thing.)

2 hours ago, Sabreman said:

20 minutes ago, cowfields said:

This is exactly why I didn't like the game. I wanted to play it as a sort of chilled puzzle game with a story but the flashing was so irritating. Such a cheesy, cheap design decision and completely unnecessary. 

I loved the game but that sound effect (as well as the teletype dialogue) had my partner request "sound off or play it when I'm not around please."

4 hours ago, Mr Do 71 said:

Okami, and that long, long, long intro. 

Okami was my first thought on seeing @Gotters's comment about games that start with "loads of tedious exposition which I just want to skip, but can't", and @El Spatula's "nonsense speech, slow scrolling text".

It's an infamous example of all those things. But think I'm the only person who wasn't bothered by them, at least on first playthrough. I suspect I'd find it tedious if I ever start the game again, though!

I just checked YouTube to see how long it is between clicking New Game and gaining control of Amaterasu: about 17-18 minutes. :lol:

5 hours ago, Goemon said:

Witcher 2 had me in a 1 screen arena for like 45mins giving you tutorial after tutorial. It was my entire lunch break break! Never went back.

That sounds like Star Ocean: Til The End Of Time on PS2. After wandering around what I think was meant to be a shopping centre for an hour you're put into this VR training system that makes you go through every single aspect of combat in a seemingly endless round of tutorials. Put me right off the game.

Similarly Monster Hunter Freedom Unite makes you do hours of tutorial missions, took me 7 or 8 hours and by then I just couldn't be arsed.

The crafting in animal crossing… fuck right off. Most crafting really, hugely in fashion but few games have made it enjoyable, I think I only liked it in Skyrim and Stardew as they fit the game well and are rewarding. Animal crossing’s designers must have been deliberately looking at how to make crafting an annoying and painfully tedious affair.

Too many cut scenes, I want a game not a movie thanks.

Long tutorials, if a game is this complex then it’s broken. A good game should be able to drop a player in with the basics and then let them discover more as they play. Skyrim and Stardew again do this perfectly. 

Overly complicated controls. Basically every Rockstar game. Feels like being able to play the game well requires a lot of muscle memory. No thanks. 

@Vimster
Incidentally Tri Ace (SO team) also made Resonance of Fate which hands everything to you from the off battle wise, but due to it being quite a different style of RPG to most others, there’s an arena you go to and have to do the long tutorial list which I spent about 2 hours on before moving on. It was annoying at the beginning but it was important as the first random battle I got into I had no idea what was going on and died. 

4 hours ago, cowfields said:

I really hate games that try to pretend a cutscene isn't a cutscene by stitching multiple cutscenes together, joined by walking from one corridor to another. 

Just make one cutscene play without me having to touch buttons. It's not gameplay at that point, don't try to make me think I have agency. When I get control of my character I want that to actually be the main game. 

Ori does this and I hate it.

The worst first impression I've had of a game recently is Salt & Sanctuary. A game that people seem to generally like. It just seems like pure jank to me. Looks horrible, controls horribly, and everything is ripped straight from Dark Souls. Gave up after an hour.

Also any game that blasts you with soulful emotional music straight away. I'm not emotionally invested yet. Do the sodding work, then you can try and make me cry.

It didn’t quite lose me at ‘hello’ as I stuck with the game for about 4-5 hours, desperately trying to find any enjoyment from it, but the Last Of Us 2 is a contender. I absolutely hated every moment of it, but there was one bit which was the snapping point. You are riding on a horse and it gets blown up by a bomb for some reason. You are unhurt but the horse is dead. Then you find yourself in the 965th quasi-cutscene of the game, where the developer forces you to hold forward or press a button to pretend you’re in control. You are tied up and the game ramps up the tension by saying you need to hammer x or something to escape. Basically, I couldn’t be arsed with this as the game is so shit, so instead of not escaping and dying, the game played out the cutscene anyway and I walked away unscathed. May as well have been watching the worst film ever. 

5 hours ago, Eighthours said:

The 80,000 update screens you have to click through before you can even get to the title screen on recent PES games (and probably eFootball, although I haven’t yet downloaded the pre-alpha that’s mysteriously available to the public).

Rest assured, that travesty is still there, they've just brought the rest of the game down to its level.

43 minutes ago, the_debaser said:

You are riding on a horse and it gets blown up by a bomb for some reason. You are unhurt but the horse is dead. 

That’s feasible. The horse goes over the trip mine and takes the force of the explosion, the resulting uplift sending the riders off. There are probably better ways to go over a mine but a horse isn’t a bad one. Unless you’re the horse.

9 hours ago, Gotters said:

Almost anything now that starts with loads of tedious exposition which I just want to skip, but can't, plus on top of that I don't get to do anything or press any buttons.

I've got 30m to play a bit of something, not an hour to listen to your frustrated attempts at being a film maker.

This covers almost any of the big first party Sony titles (God of War binned in minutes, same for Horizon Zero Dawn) but is by no means exclusive to them.

Yakuza, for me, for this reason.

After loving oblivion I started Fallout 3 getting interested by the intro and where the start was going. Naturally letting the game pick my skills based on how I was playing and at the end of the intro the vault door opened to a big wide vista of brown. Just brown. I was spec'd for melee and here I was looking at a brown world with a wrench in hand and I was torn out of the experience completely. I felt I was going to be doing obvlion sword combat again but now with a pipe in a world of brown and sometimes I could slow the game down and slow mo hit things with a pipe. Bounced right off.

Similar but way faster happened with RDR took a few steps and realiased I was going to be doing GTA missions again and I wasn't in the mood.

26 minutes ago, NoVisAnima said:

After loving oblivion I started Fallout 3 getting interested by the intro and where the start was going. Naturally letting the game pick my skills based on how I was playing and at the end of the intro the vault door opened to a big wide vista of brown. Just brown. I was spec'd for melee and here I was looking at a brown world with a wrench in hand and I was torn out of the experience completely. I felt I was going to be doing obvlion sword combat again but now with a pipe in a world of brown and sometimes I could slow the game down and slow mo hit things with a pipe. Bounced right off.

Similar but way faster happened with RDR took a few steps and realiased I was going to be doing GTA missions again and I wasn't in the mood.

It's all about opinions. I loved the start to Fallout 3. The "browness"  added to the utterly savaged cityscape and its denizens shambling around. From the colour of the vault, to the desperation of the nuclear holocaust. In my top 5 games I've ever played.