IGNORED

Mario Party Superstars

Doctor Shark

That’s right! Another Mario Party game! But wait, what’s this? It’s a “best of?” And it has NO MOTION CONTROL GAMES? And reviews are almost unanimous in saying it’s the best Mario Party in a long time? Why, sign me up! 

Mario Party Superstars is the latest sentry into the long-running franchise and sees the return of series favourite games, boards and characters to battle it out for the most stars. 

I posted this in the Switch thread:

"Played Mario Party Superstars tonight with a friend and his daughters, absolutely fantastic, oddly we all said it felt a bit Chistmassy, getting the board games out and just having a great laugh with the kids. Highly recommended for occasions exactly like this, a real game for anyone, didn't take anyone long to learn how items worked etc.
Just a great fun social game which we all had a fantastic evening playing, if you have any sort of social gathering or online capability don't think twice, its really fun but not going to set review scores alight so as always just ignore them and have a great time."

Not tried online so can't say how it performs etc.
I also never tried the last one so can't comment on how they compare.

Hmmm, I dunno, I bought the last one on the Switch and didn't have much fun with it at all. It was just so slow - have they sped up the pace of the board game bit at all? Because rolling the dice, waiting for the characters to slowly move, watching all the little animations etc took absolutely ages. Even with the shortest game span everyone was bored by the end of the game.

In the end we just ended up playing the River Race co-op mode over and over, not because it was particularly good (it only used about ten of the games) but because the downtime between minigames was minimised.

Last MP I played was 4 and I quit the series altogether because of how slow and repetitive it could get. From what I played of Super Mario Party it was already a massive improvement and this has the same speed with a few things sped-up(such as being able to skip quite a few animations).

This feels a lot better. 

My wife and I played online against my daughter and her boyfriend yesterday. It's still as fun as ever but we've been playing these as a family since MP4 on the GameCube. Great to see some of those old mini-games back. It took nearly three hours to play a 20 turn game on the ghost board which does seem pedestrian but it didn't feel like a long time. Plus it was a miserable rainy day anyway.

8 hours ago, Garwoofoo said:

Hmmm, I dunno, I bought the last one on the Switch and didn't have much fun with it at all. It was just so slow - have they sped up the pace of the board game bit at all? Because rolling the dice, waiting for the characters to slowly move, watching all the little animations etc took absolutely ages. Even with the shortest game span everyone was bored by the end of the game.

In the end we just ended up playing the River Race co-op mode over and over, not because it was particularly good (it only used about ten of the games) but because the downtime between minigames was minimised.

You can speed up text and movement in the options menu - goes v. fast.

On 01/11/2021 at 08:52, Garwoofoo said:

I feel exactly the same - I come for the mini games, not the displeasure of waiting to play while someone else fucks about rolling dice and moving on the board. 

I think, unfortunately, that is the game, though. Naturally I’ve bought it, but mainly as something to do with the family at Christmas. 

I've listened to some podcasts talking about how fun/annoying this is for couch multiplayer so I've ordered it as a family game for Christmas. It's currently £35 at Currys with the code GAMENEXTDAY for anyone who wants to do the same.

Looking forwards to the saltiness!