IGNORED

Disney's Encanto

JohnC

Somehow missed this, even though it's out in just over 3 weeks. Set in Columbia and starring Stephanie Beatriz, John Leguizamo, María Cecilia Botero, Diane Guerrero, Jessica Darrow, Angie Cepeda, and Wilmer Valderrama, with songs written by Lin-Manuel Miranda.

It's about a magical family living in a magical house. All the family have magical power of some kind, except one. But when the magic is under threat, she may be the only one who can save them.

Disney seem to have accidentally set it for release in the UK at the same time as the US instead of having the usual months long wait. Out in both on 24 November. And it's only a 30 day theatrical window, so it'll be on Disney+ in time for Christmas. I believe it'll be a standard D+ release rather than a paid extra.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just finished and ended up feeling slightly disappointed by this as was massively looking forward to a new Disney movie from the creators of Zootopia with songs from the Moana and Hamilton guy (yes I know his name).

And in many ways it was exactly what you’d expect; it looks amazing and slightly disappointing opening number aside the music is great with several show stoppers in there which are sure to soundtrack a Disneyworld firework display spectacular at some point in the near future.

The musical numbers are beautifully executed and recall the heights of both Moana and Frozen from the recent Disney catalogue. The overall vibe of the vision massively recalls Coco.

But it kind of slightly fell over due to the lack of a coherent plot or momentum owing to the complete absence of an antagonist or indeed much of a hero’s journey. What was Mirabel’s power in the end? Also the movie lacked some lighter humour which the great Disney flicks effortlessly mix with deeper themes.

What exactly was it she had/did that caused la Casa to act the way it did? Too much reliance on story telling through musical numbers where the lyrics are oblique didn’t help but ultimately whilst the ending may have made my cheeks wet (hell I cry at anything these days since I had kids) the message was all a tad confused.

We watched Ron’s Gone Wrong earlier today as our Xmas Eve afternoon movie with the kids and whilst it was no where near as visually or audibly pleasing it was a far better movie in terms of a story well told.

I loved this. I thought it was a simple story well told, and I thought the lack of an antagonist was one of its strengths.

Spoiler

Mirabel didn't do anything to make the house break down. It was the family breaking apart that did that, and it was ultimately undone by Mirabel's ability to bring them back together. That was her gift.

Everyone in the family was trying to live up to what they felt was expected of them, and we're all feeling the pressure in their own way. It was through Mirabel that they were able to let that all go and be the people they actually wanted to be.

It was no Moana (what is?), but I really enjoyed it and it looked stunning too.

24 minutes ago, Mogster said:

I loved this. I thought it was a simple story well told, and I thought the lack of an antagonist was one of its strengths.

Reveal hidden contents

Mirabel didn't do anything to make the house break down. It was the family breaking apart that did that, and it was ultimately undone by Mirabel's ability to bring them back together. That was her gift.

Everyone in the family was trying to live up to what they felt was expected of them, and we're all feeling the pressure in their own way. It was through Mirabel that they were able to let that all go and be the people they actually wanted to be.

It was no Moana (what is?), but I really enjoyed it and it looked stunning too.

Oh don’t get me wrong I enjoyed it too but I did feel the story lacked scope…why exactly did Mirabel receive nothing when she was clearly so atuned to la casa?

And ultimately whilst she found the black sheep of the family and rekindled her sister’s relationship with who they are rather than what was expected of them the closing 15 minutes still lacked structure.

The whole thing was basically based on the premise that she had the most important gift of all, a la Umbrella Academy and then lost its way in the final follow through.

Maybe a second watch will make it make more sense. It does have some bloody good music however, Luisa’s number in particular is fantastic as is the visuals for that sequence.

58 minutes ago, dreamylittledream said:

Oh don’t get me wrong I enjoyed it too but I did feel the story lacked scope…why exactly did Mirabel receive nothing when she was clearly so atuned to la casa?

Spoiler

I assumed that she did receive her gift after all, it just wasn't as obvious as the others until the end. Alternatively you could take it to mean she didn't need a gift to do her thing. Either works for me.

I didn't think much of this.  It felt like a pure by the number film there was no real peril, the protagonist while okay didn't really need to do all the story stuff.  The redemption bit so to speak was done in 30 seconds.  It really lacked depth of other disney films.

Went to see this in the cinema. Was immediately struck by how beautiful it looked. Animation was well done and it was very colourful. Most of the songs were engaging and I was particularly struck by "Dos Oruguitas" and it's use in the context of loss and enduring hope. 

My daughters enjoyed it (4 and 6 years old). The 6 year old more than her sister. They both laughed several times at the antics of the house. 

They have since enjoyed it again on Disney plus. It's easy on the eye and heart warming. 

I went to see this when it was in the cinema so just going to post my thoughts from then.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Sure, it follows a fairly standard Disney pattern in places and you can see where its going to end up from the start, but the journey to get there is fun, with some surprises, full of great songs and wonderful visuals. The animation for this film is stunning, I was weirdly in awe of how great people's hair looked. Theres no villian in this, so that was a nice departure from the norm at least.

I liked the characters, especially the lead and the family dynamtic was really well done. With the story written by Lin Manuel Miranda, he said that he took a lot of inspiration and quirks from his own family and I think it really shows. I also enjoyed the house being alive and being its own character too, it was alot of fun. It's like Carpet from Aladdin, a silent inanimate object that comes to life with its own personality. It feels as much a part of the cast as the human characters do.

As well as the story being by LMM, he also did all the songs, which shows. I'm a fan of his other work and I can see his style all over the music. The songs in this also just cement the fact that Raya and the Last Dragon was really missing having them too.

It's an all Latinx cast which is great for representation, something I think Disney are doing really well with right now. I listened to a wonderful interview with John Leguizamo on the Empire podcast the week this came out where he talked about the need for more Lantinx representation in Hollywood and this film just further reinforced his point and how great their stories and culture can be. I think the one low point in this regard is that it was still directed by 2 white men.

But overall a really solid, fun Disney film which our family really enjoyed.

Watched this on Xmas day with the kids, and with one grandma over too. 

i also thought it looked staggeringly beautiful but was left cold by the story and the focus. With a lot of the explanation happening in songs wherethelyricsarereallyfast and just being a bit baffled of where the focus is. Is the giant jungle in that lad’s bedroom relevant? Why did Bruno disappear? How exactly does the family protect the village, aside from providing nice flowers and helping people move house or whatever?

The kids were a bit non-plussed with it too. 

It's not difficult

Spoiler

The lads bedroom isn't that relevant in itself. It's just another example of their special rooms being, well, special. Like how Bruno's is also massive inside. Then later when the need a large space to do a thing, they can do it there.

Bruno disappeared because of his visions becoming associated with bad things happening. This was made abundantly clear. The pressure of it all was getting to him. As it was with all the rest of the family. They were finding it hard to live up to the expectations of what they "should" be. That's basically the focus of the movie too. Forget about living up to other peoples expectations to the point of making yourself, basically, sick. Be yourself. Making them realise that was pretty much Mirabel's gift. And with that healing, everyone went back to their former selves, but on their own terms instead of trying to meet others expectations.

I didn't like this very much, really.

Spoiler

- It's never explained why the family have powers. Magic, I guess? It's just they make a big deal of when they got their miracle but don't explain why. 

- What power does the grandma even have? She's never shown with one.

- Why doesn't Mirabel have a power? It's never explained.

- Why does the village revere the family so much, when most of their powers are useless and don't help them? Maybe if they'd shown flower girl growing crops and weather girl watering them, instead of just growing pretty flowers and making thunderclouds when she's pissed off? The only one who seemed remotely useful was Louisa with her immense strength

- The music was catchy but really hard to follow - they're all singing very quickly over very loud backing tracks and it's very hard to figure out what they're saying

- Too much of the plot was dispensed via the songs

- The ending felt really, really rushed

Looked nice, though.

We took our daughter to the cinema to see this. 

I think the story is simultaneously too confusing and too simple. The sentiment is good, but the execution was pretty sloppy. The pacing was all over the place and the songs were pretty boring to be honest.

It looked amazing, but there were no real characters to hook onto, just caricatures of personalities.

When I asked my daughter if she liked it, she said 'I think no'. It seemed like it was trying to be a bit grown up but they weren't sure how to make it appeal to kids and adults and as a result it was a bit of a mess.

48 minutes ago, Doctor Shark said:

Why does the village revere the family so much, when most of their powers are useless and don't help them? Maybe if they'd shown flower girl growing crops and weather girl watering them, instead of just growing pretty flowers and making thunderclouds when she's pissed off? The only one who seemed remotely useful was Louisa with her immense strength

Pepa is shown watering the crops in the intro song. Julietta heals all the town's ills with her food, Isabella, err makes the place look nice while Camilo seems to entertain people. Bruno used to have a role to play too, but we don't talk about Bruno.

It's true that they don't all have an equal part to play, although the town wouldn't be there at all if it wasn't for the Encanto so I guess it's this that's the main reason behind the town's adoration. The people view the family as a sort of benevolent royalty.

Watching this again with the family as my wife never saw it in the cinema with us. The animation really is next level. There's so much detail in everything, even down the hair on the back on people's neck or the grains of sand. It's just stunning and so impressive on a technical level.

7 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Watching this again with the family as my wife never saw it in the cinema with us. The animation really is next level. There's so much detail in everything, even down the hair on the back on people's neck or the grains of sand. It's just stunning and so impressive on a technical level.

its stunning, its no Moana but its a lot of fun. 

The family watched this a few days ago. It looks amazing, full of bright and bold colours and incredibly realistic-looking hair and cloth. They must have had a team of people working on nothing but animating Mirabel's skirts. The songs were alright but my aging brain has already forgotten them all. The story was very poor, and I found myself confused about the peril that was supposed to be central to the plot. What was the lesson in the end?

4 minutes ago, revlob said:

The family watched this a few days ago. It looks amazing, full of bright and bold colours and incredibly realistic-looking hair and cloth. They must have had a team of people working on nothing but animating Mirabel's skirts. The songs were alright but my aging brain has already forgotten them all. The story was very poor, and I found myself confused about the peril that was supposed to be central to the plot. What was the lesson in the end?

Mainly that you shouldn't spend your life trying to live up to other people's expectations of who you should be.

I thought the peril was very straightforward:

Spoiler

The family's discord was breaking the Encanto apart, weakening their powers and literally breaking the house.

Mirabel was able to bring everyone back together.

1 hour ago, Mogster said:

Mainly that you shouldn't spend your life trying to live up to other people's expectations of who you should be.

I thought the peril was very straightforward:

Hide contents

The family's discord was breaking the Encanto apart, weakening their powers and literally breaking the house.

Mirabel was able to bring everyone back together.

Spoiler

Perhaps we could have had a bit more of that supposed discord, then. It was hardly a family rife with problems. We got a song about Luisa being somewhat overworked, Alma wasn't the warmest matriarch, and obviously Mirabel and Isabela didn't get on, but everyone else seemed very happy and functional.