IGNORED

Disney's Encanto

JohnC

4 minutes ago, revlob said:

Hide contents

Perhaps we could have had a bit more of that supposed discord, then. It was hardly a family rife with problems. We got a song about Luisa being somewhat overworked, Alma wasn't the warmest matriarch, and obviously Mirabel and Isabela didn't get on, but everyone else seemed very happy and functional.

Spoiler

And one of them getting married to someone she doesn't love because it was expected of her. And the one who actually loved him letting it happen. And the whole Bruno thing.

Spoiler

I thought it was part of the point that everyone seemed happy ok the surface, only for them all to be stressed out from having to live up to the idealised versions of themself. That was the point.

It's also why it was implied that that it might have somehow been Mirabel's fault that things were going wrong. She worried that she'd screwed up somehow and wasn't deserving of a gift, and maybe even responsible for breaking everything else. She worried that she wasn't worthy.

In the end she was able to bring out those buried feelings from the rest of the family, allowing them to be happy and mend the rifts driving them all apart.

10 hours ago, James Lyon said:

Whoever said Encanto didn't have memorable songs wasn't listening enough to have Surface Pressure in their head all day.

In keeping with the Bruno theme, I can’t get this little number out of my head.

Watched this today with my 8 and 7 year olds, it was entertaining enough but not amongst the best of Disney, my daughters' favourite thing was the lead characters hair (they have curly hair themselves). Wasn't surprised when I saw Lin Manuel Miranda's name as some of the songs had a similar feel to Hamilton.

It did get me crying though, but anything centred around families does now.

Ah, I am frustrated that I didn't love this.

Stunning visuals aside, I thought this was somewhat disappointing. The music was okay, not great. I don't understand that so many people are confused by the plot - I thought it was all incredibly on the nose. Perhaps it helped that I had subtitles on and didn't miss anything they were delivering through song?

Generally the message of the film should be applauded I suppose, but:

Spoiler

I would have assumed that now the family has learned they can lead a worthy existence, whether they have gifts/magic or not, they might just be a non-magical, imperfect family. I thought the magic returning in the end was undermining that message. In addition, what the family did to Bruno was glossed over for the most part and everything got solved way too smoothly and quickly in the end. For a movie whose message I interpreted as accepting imperfections and even just being ordinary, its ending was far too quickly too harmonious.

For the most part it left me cold - I tend to shed a tear or two during these Disney/Pixar films, but the only thing that even came close here was the Bruno stuff.

To end on a more positive note, the visuals were absolutely stunning, particularly during Luisa's song. Beautiful work!

Loved that. Spectacular to look at and listen to, and the story is simple and poignant. Enjoyed it more than most recent Disney/Pixar fare (yes, including Frozen and Moana).

The biggest shock was at the end credits realising it was Rosa from the ‘99 as Maribel, and doing all her singing. Had no idea Beatriz had that range.

1 hour ago, Fierce Poodle said:

She was great in In The Heights too (another LMM production - does this guy ever stop working?).

He had 3 films he was involved in out last year but the pandemic pushed some of the dates tbf.

6 hours ago, Illyria said:

Beatriz's casting really surprised me too 😆 I've never seen her in anything other than b99 and have not seen any interviews or behind the scenes stuff, so Rosa was all I ever had to go on!

This is what she’s normally like - the complete opposite of Rosa! 

Watched this last night. Thought it looked amazing, character movements in particular.

I liked the story somewhat and it's nice Disney trying something different. However i do think the small scale harmed it a little and it perhaps got a bit confusing storywise.

The songs.. were ok? I was perhaps expecting more from the movie.

There were also some issues i had - 

Spoiler

When Mirabel swung across the gap, the rock crumbled. How did she get back considering the rope would have been dangling over the chasm.

How did she even get back into Brunos room when it looked like she feel 30ft or so into the sand.

Surely if Mirabel's gift was that she kept the family together , the door would have brightened when she went to claim her gift?

Overall a decent movie but certainly not their best - just happy they tried something different like i said.

1 hour ago, wev said:

"Two Oruguitas" is beautiful, my 7yo loves it and keeps finding it on YouTube to sing along to, makes me cry.

My daughter is singing "We Don't Talk About Bruno" now and I've just said to my wife that Dos Oruguitas is my favourite. I even listened to it early when I was working. It's a very beautiful song.