IGNORED

Disney's Encanto

JohnC

Our 5 and 8 year olds are completely obsessed with Encanto. If they aren't watching it, they're listening to the songs.

The songs are very good! I love the look of it.

Might treat them to the LEGO set at some point.

Screenshot_20220123-212324_Firefox.jpg

14 hours ago, El Pibe said:

Our 5 and 8 year olds are completely obsessed with Encanto. If they aren't watching it, they're listening to the songs.

The songs are very good! I love the look of it.

Might treat them to the LEGO set at some point.

Screenshot_20220123-212324_Firefox.jpg

We're one in the same you and I with this, even ours kids are the same age.

We Don't Talk About Bruno is an A+ musical number. The fluidity of the animation, the staging, the way the melodies twist, turn and layer as the song progresses. An instant Disney classic.

The movie as a whole was very enjoyable but that particular number is superlative.

I've not seen the film and doubt I will for some time, but I'm finding it particularly annoying to listen to We Don't Talk About Bruno on the radio though...  It goes on forever and I dislike the overall melody/cadence of the tune.

I've not been annoyed with pretty much any Disney tune that gets a lot of airtime on the radio before and I still enjoy Let It Go if I hear it.

My kids are off school with Covid, so we ended up watching this yesterday afternoon. I wasn’t massively impressed, especially in comparison to Moana, which they’ve recently been caning - perhaps my kids are too young (three and six), but I think they found the plot a bit complex and spent most of the time asking me what was happening, which meant I missed what was happening in the current scene because I was explaining the previous one. The story was about an emotional journey rather than a physical one, which I think they found a bit obscure.

Like a lot of Disney films, I thought the ending undermined the message of the story. It seemed to me to be about not putting up a facade and accepting your imperfections, which meant it rang a bit false when

Spoiler

they all get their magical powers back and their magic house is restored to its former glory. I liked the fact that they were coming to terms with their loss - ie Luisa saying she wasn’t getting any stronger, but was getting wiser - so was a bit nonplussed when everything is made perfect again at the end. 

I also found the songs a bit hard to follow - I thought the first song was being sung in Spanish at one point. Was it just me or does the melody of that first song sound a bit like Rhythm of the Night by DeBarge? Anyway, it was all perfectly pleasant, but definitely not top-tier Disney. 

But that stuff returned because they accepted who they, and each other, are. It was the facade pressure making it go away. Without that, it returned to normal, with the change being themselves. 

Yeah, I’m probably overthinking it, and I get that it’s a metaphor. I just think endings like that are more powerful, and a better message for kids, if the reward at the end involves some sacrifice or significant change. I’m not sure I buy it when everyone gets everything they want without having to give anything up. There didn’t seem to be any cost. 

But yeah, that’s more personal preference than anything. 

31 minutes ago, K said:

The story was about an emotional journey rather than a physical one, which I think they found a bit obscure.

Perhaps, but I think that, for example, Inside Out demonstrates that you can do this successfully - to an even greater extent, in fact - without short-changing any age group. 

They didn’t like that either. My kids are fucking idiots. 

Also, the emotional journey in Inside Out is shown as a literal journey, so possibly a bit more comprehensible to kids. Or at least, ones who are less clueless than the buffoons I’m lumbered with. 

It is interesting now I think about it that basically 90% of the movie is set in their house. That's a pretty bold move for a 100 minute long kid's movie. 

Obviously they get around it with the fantastical musical numbers and the fact that some doors house magical locations but it's much more small scale and contained than your typical kid's movie. I did wonder what those at the youngest end of the scale might make of it.

I've watched this 3 times now. I think it's gets better and better. Just gorgeous to look at - I love all the plants.

The girls must have seen it 10 times. I think they're more taken with this than even Frozen.

My eldest is pretty obsessed with this. I did wonder if Disney could have been a bit bolder and braver with the ending choice but I thoroughly enjoyed the film. 

I much prefer these slightly different storylines they are putting out these days. Mirabel is an absolute gem of a character and the way the animate her really makes her “believable”. You can literally see her desperation in wanting to be accepted in how she moves throughout the movie. Great stuff - they really do put a lot of attention to detail in their films don’t they?  It a bit like how the guitar scenes in Coco are accurately animated if played for real. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 27/12/2021 at 12:23, Lovelyman said:

We took our daughter to the cinema to see this. 

I think the story is simultaneously too confusing and too simple. The sentiment is good, but the execution was pretty sloppy. The pacing was all over the place and the songs were pretty boring to be honest.

It looked amazing, but there were no real characters to hook onto, just caricatures of personalities.

When I asked my daughter if she liked it, she said 'I think no'. It seemed like it was trying to be a bit grown up but they weren't sure how to make it appeal to kids and adults and as a result it was a bit of a mess.

Ok I was wrong about this. 

Have watched it a few times since the cinema and it's really great. Covers some pretty heavy emotional issues and the songs are actually brilliant. 

Especially what else can I do and surface pressure. 

On 19/03/2022 at 08:02, Doctor Shark said:

Well if nothing else at least you’ll be able to see what they’re actually saying now. 

The annunciation in the songs is very good. Almost all the lyrics I haven't had to look up. They are pretty machine gun at times, so you'll definitively miss some the first few times through. 

My daughter (4) is learning the lyrics to Surface Pressure and it is very cute.