IGNORED

EDGE #365

Grobbelboy

Cover: Stray (PS5)

4BF66E5D-B11C-45AA-8D61-06F26DFF35D6.thumb.jpeg.40e6d809da5c4c90086526fe08a89662.jpeg

Hype:

• The Gunk
  • Oxenfree II: Last Signals
  • Final Fantasy XIV: Endwalker
  • A Memoir Blue
  • Midautumn
  • Frank and Drake
  • Backbeat

Play:

• Metroid Dread - 8
  • Far Cry 6 - 5
  • Back 4 Blood - 6
  • Lemnis Gate - 8
  • Lost Judgment - 7
  • Inscryption - 7
  • The Good Life - 5
  • Mon Amour - 7
  • ElecHead - 8
  • Unpacking - 8
  • Beast Breaker - 5

Features:

• Cat Power: Stray
  • Collected Works: Nolan Bushnell
  • The Making Of... Frostpunk
  • Studio Profile: 10tons
  • Time Extend: Genshin Impact
  • The Long Game: Outer Wilds

12 minutes ago, Paulando said:

I want to play ElecHead based on name alone.

It's a true Japanese indie puzzle-platformer. I've seen the buzz spread amongst quite a few prominent writers and indie-folk so no surprise seeing Edge give it a high score.

Steam only, but Shuhei is a fan so expect it'll come to at least Sony consoles but hopefully all of them.

22 minutes ago, MW_Jimmy said:

It's a true Japanese indie puzzle-platformer. I've seen the buzz spread amongst quite a few prominent writers and indie-folk so no surprise seeing Edge give it a high score.

Steam only, but Shuhei is a fan so expect it'll come to at least Sony consoles but hopefully all of them.

Just had a look on Steam and it looks lovely, right up my street. Nice to see with this and Bonfire Peaks in the last issue, they’re giving space to small but great indie puzzlers.

A little surprised to see Inscryption "only" get a 7, be interested to see what they have to say about it, as it's one of my games of the year. Also a tad disappointed to see Lost Judgment get a 7 — that's likely to be my Christmas gift to myself, so I hope it's a "Murder By Numbers" Edge 7, not a "Quantum Break" 7. Still, very pleased to see ElecHead has apparently lived up to the potential of its last few years of adorable preview clips!

(also, I'm hopeful that the 8 for Dread means they're one of the few outlets to highlight that the controls were designed by awful people who shouldn't be allowed; between this and Samus Returns I'm beginning to think that modern 2D Metroid games are created solely by people without human hands)

7 hours ago, Wiper said:

A little surprised to see Inscryption "only" get a 7, be interested to see what they have to say about it, as it's one of my games of the year. Also a tad disappointed to see Lost Judgment get a 7 — that's likely to be my Christmas gift to myself, so I hope it's a "Murder By Numbers" Edge 7, not a "Quantum Break" 7. Still, very pleased to see ElecHead has apparently lived up to the potential of its last few years of adorable preview clips!

(also, I'm hopeful that the 8 for Dread means they're one of the few outlets to highlight that the controls were designed by awful people who shouldn't be allowed; between this and Samus Returns I'm beginning to think that modern 2D Metroid games are created solely by people without human hands)

Who gives a shit what edge think? Get it and judge for yourself, maybe? 

2 hours ago, Let us measure said:

Lost Judgement is brilliant, don't worry @Wiper. If it was down to me I'd give it a 9.

It has got, as is always the case with RGG games, such an incredible sense of place. And the combat is the best it has ever been. 

Yeah, the Edgetm6tm the first one got was too mean imo. Should've been a 7.

And the sequel sounds like it should've been an 8.

11 hours ago, Wiper said:

What an absolutely bizarre take! This is the first time anywhere I’ve read someone critique the controls on the game, and to the contrary I’ve found them to be the best they’ve ever been in a Metroid game with the best character action feel and intuitive button set up. 

I mean, people could moan about the controls to any game for whatever silly reasons, but towards this one make no sense. 

The whole 'not reading about it anywhere' was what bothered me, and initially I thought it might just be me (maybe there's something very wrong with my hands?), but thankfully for my sanity I did soon see other people comment on the same thing after release - just not any reviews that I saw.

Specifically it's the game's love of making you hold multiple buttons while still doing other things; e.g. holding one button to aim, another to use missiles and/or to charge, while also being expected to use the sticks and other buttons move/aim/jump/slide to avoid boss attacks. I found it easy to get tangled up at the best of times (releasing the wrong button at the wrong moment), but more concerning was that it left my hands in pain after any such encounters, as they were forced into a perpetual claw grip.

Maybe it's because I'm old and/or because I have small hands, but I just found it very uncomfortable to play, and as someone who suffers from RSI I was worried that playing it for any length of time could lead to a relapse on that front. The really frustrating thing is, all it needs is an option to use buttons as toggles rather than hold-only, which would make a world of difference!

(also, stick-click to boost. The worst)

The controls in Dread are definitely too complicated, I've seen a fair few others feels the same. Plus the speed boost on left stick click is dreadful. Not wildly keen on the R button missle modifier either.

Trying to remember how to free-aim grapple and grapple mid jump can cost you the extra fraction of a second you needed to succeed.

It's still great though.