Jump to content

Tim Rogers’ Action Button Video Games Videos


ZOK
 Share

Recommended Posts

Finished. Seems I inadvertently did my homework by spending the last year playing many of the games he references in this review. Kaze no Notam, Tenohira no Resort, Ape Escape, Aquanaut's Holiday etc.

 

Already craving the next one.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Quest said:

Finished. Seems I inadvertently did my homework by spending the last year playing many of the games he references in this review. Kaze no Notam, Tenohira no Resort, Ape Escape, Aquanaut's Holiday etc.

 

Already craving the next one.

You're in luck! 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 21/05/2022 at 00:45, Wiper said:

Alternatively: Kieron Gillen was a great writer-about-games,* and Tim Rogers was and is great, and youse were all just grumpy old men who couldn't see it at the time :P

 

(and I don't think KG ever pretended to have invented the style of writing, just flagged it as an identifiably distinct approach to writing that he and e.g. Tim Rogers followed, vs. more proscriptive, 'objective' approaches to reviews and analysis)

 

*can't speak to how good teenage Gillen was in AP, but he was brilliant from his PCG era onwards, and I will never not be sad that he retired from the form to move onto comics

This is the first time I heard of Kieron Gillen being a games writer, this literally made me go what?!. I been reading his comic output for a long time but never knew he reviewed games too, need to source some of them now.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This review has filled me with a need to play Boku no Natsuyasumi. However options seem to be limited. Would the new Shin Chan licensed game be a good purchase? Does it have the same structure and atmosphere as the older games?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 26/09/2022 at 08:22, Quest said:

Just a note to say that the Susan album that appears for about a second in this review is a great pop oddity with every member of YMO contributing to varying degrees, though I think her song 'My Love' that appeared a year later is her best.

 

 

 

These are bloody brilliant. I know what I am listening to for the rest of the week. Thanks!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, yakumo said:

This is the first time I heard of Kieron Gillen being a games writer, this literally made me go what?!. I been reading his comic output for a long time but never knew he reviewed games too, need to source some of them now.

 

Yeah, he was a writer (and later editor) for PC Gamer from the mid-90s on, then a freelancer and writer for Eurogamer, then one of the founders of Rock Paper Shotgun. His writing inspired teenage-to-twenty-something me to really think more about what games can mean and say, and also about what format games journalism could take. None of which I put to productive use, but it definitely shaped the way I look at those things!

 

I'd like to pick out an article he did a dive into the level design and imagery of System Shock 2, the story it tells and how the player encounters it, which helped me appreciate a game I already loved even more... But I have no idea where/if it exists online — it was an article for PC Gamer back in the day :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Wiper said:

 

Yeah, he was a writer (and later editor) for PC Gamer from the mid-90s on, then a freelancer and writer for Eurogamer, then one of the founders of Rock Paper Shotgun. His writing inspired teenage-to-twenty-something me to really think more about what games can mean and say, and also about what format games journalism could take. None of which I put to productive use, but it definitely shaped the way I look at those things!

 

I'd like to pick out an article he did a dive into the level design and imagery of System Shock 2, the story it tells and how the player encounters it, which helped me appreciate a game I already loved even more... But I have no idea where/if it exists online — it was an article for PC Gamer back in the day :(

Thank you for the summary. It's good to hear that even then Kieron Gillen was producing gold and cutting his teeth before his leap into comics. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/09/2022 at 13:18, Sane said:

This review has filled me with a need to play Boku no Natsuyasumi. However options seem to be limited. Would the new Shin Chan licensed game be a good purchase? Does it have the same structure and atmosphere as the older games?

I bought it so I can answer my own question: yes it's lovely and really a Boku no Natsuyasumi game. It even has tank controls!

 

I gotta say I would've preferred a  normal protagonist though, Shin Chan makes annoying jokes and I really don't like his voice. But whatever, I'm enjoying my summer holiday! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/09/2022 at 11:49, yakumo said:

This is the first time I heard of Kieron Gillen being a games writer, this literally made me go what?!. I been reading his comic output for a long time but never knew he reviewed games too, need to source some of them now.

You know he used to post here (and edge before that), right? @KieronGillen

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/09/2022 at 13:18, Sane said:

This review has filled me with a need to play Boku no Natsuyasumi. However options seem to be limited. Would the new Shin Chan licensed game be a good purchase? Does it have the same structure and atmosphere as the older games?

 

Yes and no. You do lose a bit of the blank-canvas-ness of the original titles, only for it to replaced by Shinchan's puns and butt-only alien behavior. Not without its charms though! Definitely worth a look if you want to have an easily accessible option while you wait for the fan-translation to drop. Its summery cicada vibe is on point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Cyhwuhx said:

 

Yes and no. You do lose a bit of the blank-canvas-ness of the original titles, only for it to replaced by Shinchan's puns and butt-only alien behavior. Not without its charms though! Definitely worth a look if you want to have an easily accessible option while you wait for the fan-translation to drop. Its summery cicada vibe is on point.

I bought it and am enjoying it! I'll post some impressions in the dedicated thread when I'm a bit further in. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This might be my favourite of Tim's videos so far.  Finished it today on the other screen while working.  I thought the personal life story section was the only part of one of his videos I didn't like at first, then by the end it was the best bit.  Beautiful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/09/2022 at 12:54, yakumo said:

OMG its actually him, why was I not aware of this. 

 

You've never heard of New Games Journalism?

 

He started as a writer of many letters to Amiga Power (as the frankly terribly-monikered C-Monster) and they later employed him to his first writing gig.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Festoon said:

 

You've never heard of New Games Journalism?

 

He started as a writer of many letters to Amiga Power (as the frankly terribly-monikered C-Monster) and they later employed him to his first writing gig.

No, this is all new to me. I never had an Amiga so never read Amiga Power, and the only gaming magazines I bought was when I had pocket money and they were always Mean Machines, ST Format before I stop buying them as I could buy UK Marvel comic reprints instead.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, yakumo said:

No, this is all new to me. I never had an Amiga so never read Amiga Power, and the only gaming magazines I bought was when I had pocket money and they were always Mean Machines, ST Format before I stop buying them as I could buy UK Marvel comic reprints instead.

 

ST Format Real Crew. Ed Ricketts for the win.

 

I loved Amiga Power but, weirdly, never took to Gillen's writing for it. I much preferred Mil Millington, who I found more gently amusing. I always got an 'I-preferred-the-early-stuff' indie-band-fan vibe from Gillen.

 

Then he wrote Phonogram.

 

Vindicated.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

Rogers appeared on the latest episode of Axe of the Blood God, an RPG podcast I dip into from time to time, talking about his Boku no Natsuyasumi review, Dragon Quest and Tico Taco.

 

https://bloodgodpod.libsyn.com/special-tim-rogers-on-boku-no-natsuyasumi-why-playstation-is-the-best-console-taco-tico-and-more

 

He mentions towards the end that his next review is LA Noire. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Quest said:

Rogers appeared on the latest episode of Axe of the Blood God, an RPG podcast I dip into from time to time, talking about his Boku no Natsuyasumi review, Dragon Quest and Tico Taco.

 

https://bloodgodpod.libsyn.com/special-tim-rogers-on-boku-no-natsuyasumi-why-playstation-is-the-best-console-taco-tico-and-more

 

He mentions towards the end that his next review is LA Noire. 

 

 


This is great, cheers!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/09/2022 at 12:56, Wiper said:

I'd like to pick out an article he did a dive into the level design and imagery of System Shock 2, the story it tells and how the player encounters it, which helped me appreciate a game I already loved even more... But I have no idea where/if it exists online — it was an article for PC Gamer back in the day :(

 

Was it this one?

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/the-girl-who-wanted-to-be-god

 

I remembered reading that on his now-dead workblog, but fortunately RPS republished it. I remembered the Manic Street Preachers reference in the title, so it was easy to Google!

 

He also did this PC Gamer feature on the Cradle level from Thief: Deadly Shadows [PDF link], which was also really interesting (if too spooky for me to ever want to play). His blog is dead but that direct URL to the file should still work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

That's the one! It suffers a little for not being part of a chunky magazine spread with generous screenshots, but I loved that article.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.