IGNORED

8 Bit Christmas (HBO)

gospvg

Not that I'm expecting historical accuracy from a Hallmark type movie that takes pains in its trailer to set up an unreliable narrator, but I don't think there was that sort of a buying panic around the NES when it came out?

That was more a thing for Cabbage Patch Dolls and Teddy Ruxpin (and later Tickle Me Elmo) where the basic thing was (relatively) cheap and the level of demand took the stores and manufacturers by surprise.

Depends on how unreliably the narrator is. It would be great if his recollections are pure bullshit and he keeps changing the facts thus changing the scenes, like with the bike helmet, but I fear they put all the best bits in the trailer and the rest is going to be ever-so-slightly irreverent yet ultimately mawkish. 

12 hours ago, MK-1601 said:

Not that I'm expecting historical accuracy from a Hallmark type movie that takes pains in its trailer to set up an unreliable narrator, but I don't think there was that sort of a buying panic around the NES when it came out?

Yep. The Master System was more popular than the Nes here but of course Hollywood would never dare to make a movie like this with the Sega Master System as the holy prize because normal people don't know of Safari Hunt and Hang-On. As usual, here we at Rmuk towers can see through this fake evil tat. Anyone who watches this isn't a true gamer, like us lot here. I'm furious this exists, corrupting the minds of the simpletons over the true history of our legendary videogames.

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, elmo said:

Watched this today and absolutely loved it. Some great jokes on there and the ending had us all blabbing. Can’t remember the last time I enjoyed a Christmas film that much to be honest.

Likewise. Adding it to the Christmas watch list. All the kids were great, it's a lovely little thing, some belting jokes too 

• 4 weeks later...