Jump to content
IGNORED

Midnight Mass - Mike Flanagan's new Netflix horror


Doctor Shark
 Share

Recommended Posts

51 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

haha brilliant, didn't spot that.

 

I guess the other explanation is that...

 

Spoiler

no-one had any reason (outside of the small group of people around Pruitt) to even suspect vampires. They'd seen a "miracle" and there were other signs of improved wellbeing from those who had drunk the sacrement, but nothing else beyond some sightings of something outside in the dark - which would be unlikely to be immediately considered as a vampire. The missing people would be unusual, but vampires (or even murders) would almost certainly not be the immediate assumption. Only the evidence seen by the doctor in the reaction of the blood samples, and then by Erin when she witnesses Riley's death on the rowboat, would point to vampires and even then I doubt the doctor would have been easily convinced.

 

For the rest of the islanders, they would have suspected nothing until it was too late.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I completely and totally forgot this was even meant to be a thriller or horror. The script is absolutely brilliant. I just posted a short about it in the Netflix thread before finding this one. 

 

Even though the subject is meant to be the foundation for the thrilling side, I find it, so far, (episode 3 or 4 I’m on) really thought provoking. 

 

It’s actually led me to realise that the people who should be most fascinated by faith and religion, god and Jesus, are actually atheists. Because somehow thinking about one man or one entity enables people to do actual miracles. Overcome addiction, move through grief, cope with the loss of jobs and homes and even entire communities to natural disasters. 
 

If you think about it, faith in something that the majority of us don’t believe in actually gives people access to legitimate awareness, mindfulness and strength of themselves. Something I’m pretty jealous of in all honesty. 
It’s like a shortcut around constructs that have walls around them for a lot of people.


Trying to break through the grief of someone who has lost a child; to tell them they can feel better and find any good in it? I don’t think most people would even attempt to approach someone in such a way after such an event. 
But signpost and light that path with faith and belief in a religion, and it’s like people can suddenly phase through the walls and access what is in all of us but hard to reach.

 

I find it really fascinating, and I know it’s no secret or anything. Plenty of people have faith in something that’s framed in that sort of way to begin with, like Buddhism. Or in things that have no religious bearing whatsoever. It’s like, giving it some sort of name or form is the first part towards accessing it.

If you try and explain that someone, as a person, is and can be that thing, there’s a real push back against it. Powerful self doubt seems to hide it in a lot of us. But just in the same way we can give good advice to others but not always follow it ourselves, we can believe the best in something else. And inadvertently access what we’ve always had. 
 

 

I’ve been tempted to post a thread on religion and faith. In the last couple of years I’ve had so many thoughts about it. They revolve around the idea that I have been tempted to join in with people of faith, because I can sense how good it would feel to be surrounded by people who have faith. 


The words someone could tell me about god and life wouldn’t necessarily help me cope with a dire situation. But what would help would be the faith that person had in what they believed in. Because I think it shows a strength blended with peacefulness and trust. And I that’s a very useful combination to use when you’re feeling low.


When we grow out of realising our parents are the be all and end all, I think we lose the security of ultimate trust. That someone will always be there, make the final decision, receive the buck so it never stops with you. It’s a good feeling. And when you lose it I think that’s when we first feel hopeless. But I think it’s beyond most of us to feel like we can put the hope and trust in ourselves. So you either put it in something else or you’re left without it. And I think that’s the point. I want to put it in myself. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, NexivRed said:

I completely and totally forgot this was even meant to be a thriller or horror. The script is absolutely brilliant. I just posted a short about it in the Netflix thread before finding this one. 

 

Even though the subject is meant to be the foundation for the thrilling side, I find it, so far, (episode 3 or 4 I’m on) really thought provoking. 

 

It’s actually led me to realise that the people who should be most fascinated by faith and religion, god and Jesus, are actually atheists. Because somehow thinking about one man or one entity enables people to do actual miracles. Overcome addiction, move through grief, cope with the loss of jobs and homes and even entire communities to natural disasters. 
 

If you think about it, faith in something that the majority of us don’t believe in actually gives people access to legitimate awareness, mindfulness and strength of themselves. Something I’m pretty jealous of in all honesty. 
It’s like a shortcut around constructs that have walls around them for a lot of people.


Trying to break through the grief of someone who has lost a child; to tell them they can feel better and find any good in it? I don’t think most people would even attempt to approach someone in such a way after such an event. 
But signpost and light that path with faith and belief in a religion, and it’s like people can suddenly phase through the walls and access what is in all of us but hard to reach.

 

I find it really fascinating, and I know it’s no secret or anything. Plenty of people have faith in something that’s framed in that sort of way to begin with, like Buddhism. Or in things that have no religious bearing whatsoever. It’s like, giving it some sort of name or form is the first part towards accessing it.

If you try and explain that someone, as a person, is and can be that thing, there’s a real push back against it. Powerful self doubt seems to hide it in a lot of us. But just in the same way we can give good advice to others but not always follow it ourselves, we can believe the best in something else. And inadvertently access what we’ve always had. 
 

 

I’ve been tempted to post a thread on religion and faith. In the last couple of years I’ve had so many thoughts about it. They revolve around the idea that I have been tempted to join in with people of faith, because I can sense how good it would feel to be surrounded by people who have faith. 


The words someone could tell me about god and life wouldn’t necessarily help me cope with a dire situation. But what would help would be the faith that person had in what they believed in. Because I think it shows a strength blended with peacefulness and trust. And I that’s a very useful combination to use when you’re feeling low.


When we grow out of realising our parents are the be all and end all, I think we lose the security of ultimate trust. That someone will always be there, make the final decision, receive the buck so it never stops with you. It’s a good feeling. And when you lose it I think that’s when we first feel hopeless. But I think it’s beyond most of us to feel like we can put the hope and trust in ourselves. So you either put it in something else or you’re left without it. And I think that’s the point. I want to put it in myself. 

I think you should start a topic on this. Your last paragraph resonated with me and I’d like to discuss it further, but this isn’t really the right place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, JPL said:

I think you should start a topic on this. Your last paragraph resonated with me and I’d like to discuss it further, but this isn’t really the right place.


I guess I could copy and paste it over. It’s something I like ruminating about for sure. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 28/09/2021 at 10:06, FishyFish said:

 

I just took it that...

 

  Hide contents

It's like the Walking Dead. In that show no-one had any prior knowledge of zombies - like they had never been created as a fictional concept.

 

I assume the same is true here. Vampires never existed in popular culture in the show's universe, so no one spots the obvious clues that the audience picks up on.

 

 

Spoiler

When the doctor and Erin are first discussing it, you join them partway through conversation (or it might be later, when they're also talking about it with the mum. The doctor starts the scene saying something like "... and it's obviously from there that rumours and myths like this got started", talking about it as a disease. I think they've heard of vampires.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Three episodes in - Mike Flanagan’s done out again, hasn’t he? I’m really enjoying it. Like Bly Manor, it’s a drama punctuated by horror tropes rather than a pure balls to the wall horror - and that’s absolutely fine by me. It’s really well written so far, and the actors are all giving great performances. It’s got this fantastic sense of place - you can almost smell the salt on the air and the sea breeze against your skin. Extremely textured. 
 

I disagree that it’s not scary - it’s got some great jump scare moments. Flanagan is really good at the whole ‘the scary thing was right there all the time, you just didn’t see it until it moved’ thing it’s untrue. 
 

So far we’ve been able to predict what’s going on before it’s revealed. It’s really obvious, I assume that’s on purpose.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 27/09/2021 at 13:26, Festoon said:

What bothered me was 

  Hide contents

the priest took ages to be affected by sunlight while Matt Saracen was immediately affected.

 

 

Spoiler

He wasn't dead yet.meanwhile Riley had his neck broken and died in the church. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Wickedkitten said:

 

  Hide contents

He wasn't dead yet.meanwhile Riley had his neck broken and died in the church. 

 

 

But, did he not 

Spoiler

die when the vampire bit him in the cave? Hence him becoming the peak version of himself as a young man?

 

I find the mechanics of it confusing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Festoon said:

 

But, did he not 

  Hide contents

die when the vampire bit him in the cave? Hence him becoming the peak version of himself as a young man?

 

I find the mechanics of it confusing.

Spoiler

No i think the vampire fed and was giving him blood,  but he didn't end up actually dying until he had that final seizure and came back

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Wickedkitten said:
  Hide contents

No i think the vampire fed and was giving him blood,  but he didn't end up actually dying until he had that final seizure and came back

 

 

 

 

Ah ok, I see. That makes sense.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Wickedkitten said:
  Reveal hidden contents

No i think the vampire fed and was giving him blood,  but he didn't end up actually dying until he had that final seizure and came back

 

 

 

 

With regard to that...

 

Spoiler

What caused Pruitt's seizure and death? While I can't remember seing anything specific, I got the impression that Bev might have poisoned him given the way he was vomiting blood.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, FishyFish said:

 

With regard to that...

 

  Hide contents

What caused Pruitt's seizure and death? While I can't remember seing anything specific, I got the impression that Bev might have poisoned him given the way he was vomiting blood.

 


 

Spoiler

I just took it as the constant drinking of the blood was slowly killing him and then finally did. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Watched all of this now, I thought the first half up to episode 4 was absolutely brilliant, totally engrossing TV with some great acting, but the last few episodes were terrible and had me rolling my eyes. The action parts felt flat, some of the shocking parts didn't hit home, the characters started acting stupid or being generally useless. 

I couldn't stop watching it at first, but I had to force myself to watch the last episode as I stopped caring about what was going to happen, I ended up reaching for my phone a bit during the last episode to the extent that I don't actually know what happened to the priest in the end. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:


 

  Hide contents

I just took it as the constant drinking of the blood was slowly killing him and then finally did. 

 

 

Spoiler

He was coughing up what looked like the poison that killed the dog, I think the evil bitch poisoned him.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:

I don't actually know what happened to the priest in the end. 

Spoiler

He just accepted his fate with the doctor's mum and they both burned up peacefully same as the rest of the islanders, I think. It's only Bev that ends the show trying to avoid her fate.

 

His initial death did look a lot like the other poison deaths we saw - both the dog and the parishioners at the purge. But I don't understand why she would have done that at that time at all - she doesn't know they're all turning into vampires at that point in any way, does she? I think at the time I'd assumed he'd basically died of starvation given he's only been drinking the original vampire's blood and not any new fresh content.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, FishyFish said:

 

With regard to that...

 

  Hide contents

What caused Pruitt's seizure and death? While I can't remember seing anything specific, I got the impression that Bev might have poisoned him given the way he was vomiting blood.

 

Spoiler

Aye, it was Bev because she had also poisoned Pike with the poison although I'm not sure if she really meant to actually kill Pruitt or not. Bev really was the absolute worst lol

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We blasted through the last three episodes last night. Fantastic. Probably my favourite of Flanagan’s Netflix shows. An engrossing meditation on life, death, religion, addiction and other stuff besides. Great performances all round. The monster was really well executed, too.

 

I can’t really fault it - maybe some of the monologues, especially towards the end, got a bit long and tortuous, but this was balanced out more generally by how well crafted the characters were - in fact, they were the main draw of the show. It wasn’t so much a show about supernatural events on an island, as it was how those events affected the people who lived on the island. 
 

Brilliant. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Saw this on twitter and laughed. I enjoyed the show up to a point but Matt Saracens speech in episode 2 was so bad I nearly bailed out. 

 

I like that Netflix gives directors space to make their own shows, but it can be good to take stuff out. And I think almost all the speeches should have been cut, nothing would have been lost.

 

1777435159_ScreenShot2021-10-03at13_15_44.jpg.544d89ac2470eb92d777bd96b5c299e2.jpg 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just watched the whole lot yesterday and today.

absolutely loved it.

Spoiler

I kinda wish bev got a bit more comeuppance, proper evil.

I didn’t mind all the long talky bits, makes it seem a bit more real to see people just chatting. And it’s a great contrast to the crazy shit eventually happening.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Fuddle said:

I didn’t mind all the long talky bits, makes it seem a bit more real to see people just chatting. And it’s a great contrast to the crazy shit eventually happening.


 Except nobody on earth talks like that.

Thought it might be funny to start monologuing in real life, like I come back from Coop and my daughter asks me what I got her, so I go into a 10 minute story about some terrible thing that happened in my childhood, instead of just saying 'here, I got you a Twix'.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, museman123 said:
  Hide contents

Why start digging a hole at the last minute?  Get yourself  in a bush/ wrap yourself in a blanket...

 

 

Spoiler

The priest guy was standing out on his porch a lot, waiting or the sun to go down, they could of knocked up a couple of shelters in no time being such salt of the earth handymen types. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Melon_Bread said:


 Except nobody on earth talks like that.

Thought it might be funny to start monologuing in real life, like I come back from Coop and my daughter asks me what I got her, so I go into a 10 minute story about some terrible thing that happened in my childhood, instead of just saying 'here, I got you a Twix'.


Oh man, I really fancy a twix now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, museman123 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Why start digging a hole at the last minute?  Get yourself  in a bush/ wrap yourself in a blanket...

 

 

I think it was 

Spoiler

despite all her confidence in God, when it came down to it she'd scrabble in the dirt to avoid death. She never really belived.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Loved it. Great acting from everybody (but Linklater in particular), wonderfully atmoshperic (seriously, the last episode looked amazing in Dolby Vison), good music and just tons of powerful scenes. Those 

Spoiler

what happens when you die

 monologues really struck a chord. It's basically how I look at it but beautifully worded. I didn't mind the monologues at all. I thought they were well-written and acted. I don't care if people talk like that or not in real life, as you could say the same about most movie dialogues as well.

My favourite Netflix series since Dark.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Really loved this after initially being a bit turned off by the religious stuff. I'm so glad I stuck with it and binged it all this weekend. 

 

Suffering from withdrawal symptoms this evening, so I've started watching Hush again, since it's also on Netflix. I've not seen it since it came out 4-5 years ago and

Spoiler

something that happens in the first 5 mins kind of took me by surprise, I thought I was tripping out! You'll know what I mean if you watch it... apologies if it's common knowledge but I had no idea and thought it was really cool. 

But yeah, this was really great and can't stop thinking about some of the characters - Mike Flanagan is so good at that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Doctor Shark changed the title to Midnight Mass - Mike Flanagan's new Netflix horror

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.