IGNORED

1 vs 100 is returning !!

MikeBeaver

On 11/11/2021 at 21:38, MalevolentPanda said:

Who's that guy? Is he credible? He's certainly annoying.

Awesome news if true.

Writer for Venturebeat/Gamesbeat.

He's got a good track record when it comes to Microsoft stuff so this is probably happening. 

I like the idea of bringing back 1 Vs 100 but that's tempered a bit by knowing just how much talk there will be on here about how it's a great way to earn your Microsoft points so that you can get Gamepass for free etc.

This was utterly brilliant, and I even remember how my girlfriend's parents, who were very non-game-friendly, considered buying an Xbox so they could be part of it after we showed them how it worked one Saturday night. The fact that I got to be "The 1" possibly hyped them a bit more than just seeing the concept might have done, but I then pressed the wrong button at about 50 left. (I believe I used my points to buy Zombie Apocalypse from XBLA.)

I do hope this comes back. I want another shot, need to rectify my performance. I still giggle over the first "show" trolling us with "Jeremy Beetle."

I seem to remember that player numbers dropped a lot over the course of its run, which is probably why they dropped it in the end. 

The problem with the format was that only 101 people per round ever had anything tangible at stake, which sounds like a lot but when you had tens of thousands people playing at once it meant that most people were basically just playing for fun. Which is fine for a little while but it's not hard to see why lots of people would drop off after a few weeks when they only ever got to be in the audience.

I'm not sure that holds true. Viewers have nothing at stake when watching The Chase, yet enough tune in every night for it to have gotten a prime-time event spin-off. 

At least in 1v 100 everyone had a chance to get into the 100, and subsequently become the 1. You just had to score high enough when playing along. And I believe more people have been quizzing than ever before this last couple of years?

I got to be in the hundred a couple of times and even beat the one once. 

never did get my ikaruga code though I eventually got it when it was free many years later. 

my now wife and I used to go round a friends flat and all four of us were logged on playing it together. Great times. 

19 hours ago, CheekyLee said:

I'm not sure that holds true. Viewers have nothing at stake when watching The Chase, yet enough tune in every night for it to have gotten a prime-time event spin-off. 

At least in 1v 100 everyone had a chance to get into the 100, and subsequently become the 1. You just had to score high enough when playing along. And I believe more people have been quizzing than ever before this last couple of years?

Yeah but with The Chase you're not just staring at voiceless avatars for an hour. Quiz shows work because there's also real human emotions and stories involved. You can't really replicate the appeal of that when you can neither see nor hear the people taking part.

• 1 month later...

retrieving THIS fucking Gamer Pic has taken the best part of 3 hours... but I've got my old 1 v 100 pic off the old profile on the 360 that's not been connected to the internet in maybe 8 years, and after some jiggery pokery ( lot's!! ) it is now back where it should be 😛

No actuall update on the game, but some random shit I wanted to share :) 

Gamerpic.png.d014d030a485f1e80d97555301e7ee4f.png

17 minutes ago, Harrisown said:

I was telling some young people at work about the early days or Xbox live and 1 vs 100….they didn’t seem to interested.

That's because it is the OG battle royal ;)  No shooting, just getting your Chicken dinner by knowing stuff :) 

On 11/11/2021 at 21:22, Gusisbig said:

The early run of this, pretty sure Michael off joypod won the top prize in the first season. Was some quite tasty goodies he won too. I won free games, Xbox points but it was all about the "Ricky Guernsey" moments. Gold.

I did win the whole game! Got a £2000 voucher to spend on a holiday, which went on flights and hotels for me and my partner to go to San Diego Comic Con! If I'd won the game before, it would have been a brand new Mini Cooper...

I'd be delighted if they brought it back, and I'd be playing every night, guaranteed.