IGNORED

Resident Evil 4 - VR

dumpster

As someone who owns this for quest 2 I can happily say it’s excellent and really brings you into the game making it for me the definitive version of the game (I would almost go as far as saying this is a system seller for the quest) 

Although many of us have played Resi 4 multiple times on different systems this version absolutely nails it in VR.  I’ve noticed things I’ve never noticed before. I’ve just stood in the middle of the village taking in the atmosphere.  It’s really is a special version of the game.  
We know Sam Andreas is coming.  Whoever does the VR version I just hope it’s going to be treated better than the definitive version  🤣. I hope more classic games get the kind of VR treatment RE 4 has.

I applaud the development of bringing classic games to VR like this. It seems like a good way to build a catalogue of great games that will push VR more into the mainstream leading hopefully also to more new VR games being made. 

It’s absolutely amazing and I can’t believe how well it translated to VR. Helps that it’s an incredible game that’s held up fantastically well compared to some other recent releases *cough*.

Its surreal walking around inside locations you’re so familiar with. Makes you feel like Jeff Bridges in Tron and you somehow got sucked you into a GameCube. Coming face to face with the Merchant was like seeing a celeb in real life (I was surprised I was taller than him). Looking up and seeing Salazar’s statue towering over you like a building is quite something as well.

3 hours ago, Harsin said:

It’s absolutely amazing and I can’t believe how well it translated to VR. Helps that it’s an incredible game that’s held up fantastically well compared to some other recent releases *cough*.

Its surreal walking around inside locations you’re so familiar with. Makes you feel like Jeff Bridges in Tron and you somehow got sucked you into a GameCube. Coming face to face with the Merchant was like seeing a celeb in real life (I was surprised I was taller than him). Looking up and seeing Salazar’s statue towering over you like a building is quite something as well.

Really not helping my willpower with posts like this.

Fuck me watching that review is making me think I need one just to play it again.  I don’t know how I’d cope with those creatures where you need the thermal sight though - that was tense as hell on the GC. 
Argh……I want it in my hands…..

16 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

The other is getting free of the cable.

This made a massive difference to me and my VR experience.  I was initially against getting an Oculus headset as I was against Oculus exclusivity policy but I buckled primarily because of the ability to play PCVR games wirelessly.  The HTC wireless adapter I have for my Vive headset does not work as well as Virtual Desktop or Airlink.

1 hour ago, Tomdominer said:

I'm rather annoyed this is a goddamn Oculus exclusive. Like the incredibly small market like VR needs to be cut up even more, when I already own two VR platforms.

Not only Oculus exclusive but Oculus Quest exclusive so wont work on my Oculus S :) So it would seem FB are even cutting up their own market .. jeez ....well I suppose it's saved me £30 and lost Oculus £30.

It's staggeringly good. Instantly recognisable to long-term fans but presented in a fresh exciting way that makes it feel like a brand-New experience. It's the best version of the game by far and not just because you can now type on the typewriters.

Having just played and completed RE4 on PC for the first time and totally loved it I am kind of gutted I will never be able to play this as direct motion in VR makes me so sick. 

Im just hoping one day that the tech gets powerful enough that it magically fixes it. 😞

I've only just started this and I'm probably being stupid but, how on earth do I reload?

I chose quick weapon selection at the start.then got attacked by the first zombie . The interface is telling me to "grab ammo" but I can't seem to make that work. None of the buttons seem to make Leon reload his pistol. 

So my first experience of this was ridiculously scrabbling around trying to press every button and do every hand movement I could think of as a villager walked towards me in slow motion - in the end I switched to knife and stabbed him. Now I'm hiding upstairs in the starting cottage writing this, listening to villagers walking around downstairs!

Edit: ok, worked that out. This is great! Do you guys play standing or sitting?

The Dolphin emulator and VR is looking pretty promising. The idea of just sitting somewhere in Delfina Plaza and revisiting classic locales in a touristic fashion is enough for me.

When I played there was a tutorial where it paused the game and taught you how to reload?

I started playing standing  and while it’s more immersive it’s not great for longer sessions with my old bones. So switched to sitting which works really well.

I’ve been playing VR for quite a while and video games for more than 40 years.

This is stunning, jaw-dropping stuff. The options for comfort should allow anybody to play this.

The simplicity of the controls and how natural everything feels are a testament to the guys who made this version. Everything simply feels perfect - even seated. 

Seriously, don’t hesitate….

17 minutes ago, Hardbattle said:

The options for comfort should allow anybody to play this.

Hang on. What are the options? I'm intrigued but as per above my VR sickness is pretty bad. 

A game with smooth first person motion makes me hot, sweaty and sick within about 1 minute. I can last slightly longer with some minor comfort settings but not long enough to make me actually want to risk it in my experience. I have owned PSVR and Quest 1 and am hoping that eventually smooth wide field of vision 120 fps lenses might enable things to be a bit better but I doubt it. 

Games with a 'blink and you're there' motion are about the only ones that work properly for me and I can't imagine that they would make the game anywhere near as effective? SO SAD. 

I can't say if RE4 supports that, I'd say it's very likely to. Blink and move worked well in Half Life Alyx without doing anything to hamper the gameplay.

Remember that the base RE4 game was based around stationary combat, so it's almost tailor made for that sort of motion.