IGNORED

Resident Evil 4 - VR

dumpster

Not great, it comes with a glasses spacer that I found pretty pants, and loads of tales of people scratching their glasses, the headset lenses or both out there. I bought a pair of prescription lenses for about £50 for mine and it makes a massive difference to how enjoyable it is to use.

2 hours ago, Yiggy said:

Hang on. What are the options? I'm intrigued but as per above my VR sickness is pretty bad. 

A game with smooth first person motion makes me hot, sweaty and sick within about 1 minute. I can last slightly longer with some minor comfort settings but not long enough to make me actually want to risk it in my experience. I have owned PSVR and Quest 1 and am hoping that eventually smooth wide field of vision 120 fps lenses might enable things to be a bit better but I doubt it. 

Games with a 'blink and you're there' motion are about the only ones that work properly for me and I can't imagine that they would make the game anywhere near as effective? SO SAD. 

It's got loads. There's two main modes of movement,

Teleport - You  point at where you want to be and Leon goes their through a third-person running animation.

First Person - More like an FPS. Loads of options to tailor it. You can have full unfiltered looking and movement. You can set it to have a tunnelling effect when you move or look around. Or you can set it so you have snap movement where when you turn using the stick it moved the movement by certain number of degrees each time.

I found free movement with snap turning with light tunnelling to be the most comfortable for me.

14 minutes ago, Harsin said:

Not great, it comes with a glasses spacer that I found pretty pants, and loads of tales of people scratching their glasses, the headset lenses or both out there. I bought a pair of prescription lenses for about £50 for mine and it makes a massive difference to how enjoyable it is to use.

Hmm, that sounds a bit shit. I had no problems with the PSVR because it lets you adjust the distance of the lens section so freely, and the width seemed designed to accommodate glasses pretty well. The above sounds like a good solution but am less tempted with the additional expense tbh.

I've never noticed VR sickness before I don't think, but I've found myself feeling hot and sweaty twice so far playing this - didn't even realise that was a symptom until I read the post above!  Is this VR sickness? And does it mean I should stop playing?

19 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

I've never noticed VR sickness before I don't think, but I've found myself feeling hot and sweaty twice so far playing this - didn't even realise that was a symptom until I read the post above!  Is this VR sickness? And does it mean I should stop playing?

No, VR sickness actually makes you feel sick, like you want to puke if you push it too far.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

No, VR sickness actually makes you feel sick, like you want to puke if you push it too far.

Not necessarily. You can have symptoms such as dizziness, headache, sweating as well as nausea and not necessarily all of them. The various times I've felt motion sick (once in VR) it's always left me with a really bad headache.

2 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

i think that’s more to with having a hot piece of electronics clamped to your face while exerting yourself.

How many different ways can they make this game? No matter what control scheme or platform it goes on, it's still astronomically good. 

I must have played through this game 100 times, yet here I am playing it in VR and it feels fresh again, and still as good as the first time I played it. I have to say, they've done a fantastic job on this.

Greatest game of all time? Yep, I think so.  :wub:

Just gave it a whirl. Not bad at all. For those who like the movement in this, it's basically how Skyrim VR is, shame they can't get that on Quest 2 natively. The reloading of your pistol in this is similar to that of many other VR games, but is actually pretty close to Half Life: Alyx for reloading technique. :)

Will continue when I have more time.

VR sickness starts with the sweats for me, and will get real bad if I don’t heed the early signs. I’ve never had a game I wasn’t able to acclimatise to though.

What are the chances of this ever coming to other VR platforms (namely PSVR?). There is absolutely no chance I am investing in two different technologies (and my PC won’t even play regular games).

4 hours ago, Darwock said:

What are the chances of this ever coming to other VR platforms (namely PSVR?). There is absolutely no chance I am investing in two different technologies (and my PC won’t even play regular games).

This is on Quest only, so you only need the Quest 2. You won't need a PC.

On 16/11/2021 at 09:13, Thor said:

Just gave it a whirl. Not bad at all. For those who like the movement in this, it's basically how Skyrim VR is, shame they can't get that on Quest 2 natively. The reloading of your pistol in this is similar to that of many other VR games, but is actually pretty close to Half Life: Alyx for reloading technique. :)

Will continue when I have more time.

I love how they've done the weapons interface on this, it really is borrowed from Half Life: Alyx, which was a good move. Having to reach for clips, reload the gun and release the slide is so good it becomes second nature pretty quickly - similarly reaching over your back for the shotgun/rifle and having to manually reload ratchets up the tension as you have a group advancing on you. Extremely intuitive and just what VR is good for. :wub:

There's been a few times where I've had Mr Chainsaw running at me with my shotgun aimed right at his head - just as I'm about to smugly blast him away, there's a soul draining "click" of an empty chamber as he then proceeds with gleeful dismemberment. It's not frustrating - you just know you screwed up. There's also been some absolutely manic reloading during the same scenario, and some unsuccessful/incomplete pumps of the shotgun, with similarly gruesome results. Ha ha - its really great this. 😀

Robo Recall did much the same thing as Alyx when it came to weapons, other than instead of reloading you just toss your weapons aside, Matrix style, before grabbing more from your holster. 

It's natural and it's badass. I did love how in Alyx you'd get really panicky when you fumbled a reload when under fire.

I finished this a couple of days ago and it was amazing from start to finish. For me it’s hands down the definitive version of the game.

I started Resi Village right after and although I’m enjoying it, I’m really missing the VR aspect :(

11 minutes ago, Mystacon said:

I started Resi Village right after and although I’m enjoying it, I’m really missing the VR aspect :(

Soon… 🙂 a modder is currently finishing his mod that will allow you to play resi evil 2 and 3 remakes as well as 7 and 8 in vr with full motion control support (via air link on the pc) this is a vid of his work on resi evil 2 

On 18/11/2021 at 14:46, Steven said:

Nearly bought one in Currys this morning - must..wait..for..Black..Friday.

Very are doing them for £249 (Pay full price and account credited with £50 on dispatch). Oculus get!

3 hours ago, Steven said:

Very are doing them for £249 (Pay full price and account credited with £50 on dispatch). Oculus get!

Thankfully I have more things to pay for than I thought possible at the mo or I’d be getting involved immediately. Helps that both my kids are far too young as well. 
Damn I wannit though…..

On 21/11/2021 at 23:23, Mystacon said:

I finished this a couple of days ago and it was amazing from start to finish. For me it’s hands down the definitive version of the game.

I have to agree it is absolutely the definitive version. For anyone who's thinking of buying a Quest 2 to play this - I upgraded from my quest 1 just so I could get this without having to sideload or suffer any potential performance issues, and have to say it was worth the cash and then some. I feared it might have been just a quick and dirty port, but they really have done the game justice. I commented above about the controls, but even the tweaking of the weapons management is genius - just wait until you've done the Luis house siege in VR, with mobs running at you up the stairs as you desperately fumble reloading a shotgun, or attempt to grab a grenade, pull out the pin and lob it before they get to you - it really gets your heart rate going. 

This is a total new lease of life on this game, so I can't wait to see when the mod is complete to try the remakes of 2 & 3 in VR. Just thinking about some of the bits in Village... In VR it would be incredible! 😀

It is outstanding, however I can't help noticing how much easier just the fact you can move and shoot at the same time makes it, particularly on the boss fights - you can literally run rings around them. It's like their movement and turning speeds were nerfed in the original, to make up for the fact they would be fighting stationary players, and this version hasn't been rebalanced to adjust for that. Just a minor observation, it doesn't detract from the game, and I'd rather it was too easy rather than too difficult, as the main reason I'm playing it is to experience it in VR, rather than be challenged by a game I've completed 10 times already over the years!