Irvine Welsh's Crime - 18th November 2021 - BritBox exclusive

Vimster

• 2 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, kempstar said:

Im quite liking this but I appear to have missed a major plot point in episode 2…..

Hide contents

So they turn up at the sex den with keys…. Where did these keys come from? How did they know the address that the keys were for???

Spoiler

They found the keys when they searched the flat of the guy they thought was the mums boyfriend - Cornell? Connell?. And they got the address from the redirect label on the sex-toys parcel they took from the postman. 

I don't think they knew the keys were for that door, he just tried them and got in.

20 mins into ep 1 this is Z-tier writing and acting, I had to turn it off. Just awful. Terrible characterisation and dialogue, a bunch of clichés delivered direct to my voyeuristic watching eye in a context that makes no sense to the world the characters are supposed to inhabit. If that seems harsh, just tell me - does this change significantly at all? Not even asking if it gets better really. I've never read the novel, so I've no roadmap or context. This just seems well under the standard of what I'd expect from other films/TV based on his stuff; I usually like those a lot more.

On 24/11/2021 at 23:00, Gorf King said:

20 mins into ep 1 this is Z-tier writing and acting, I had to turn it off. Just awful. Terrible characterisation and dialogue, a bunch of clichés delivered direct to my voyeuristic watching eye in a context that makes no sense to the world the characters are supposed to inhabit. If that seems harsh, just tell me - does this change significantly at all? Not even asking if it gets better really. I've never read the novel, so I've no roadmap or context. This just seems well under the standard of what I'd expect from other films/TV based on his stuff; I usually like those a lot more.

It does change, moves away from what feels like a generic police drama in episode one to a very dark psychological drama that, without spoiling it, is more about Lennox dealing with events from his past, especially when a certain character turns up. Whether that change will change your view of the writing is debateable. 

Finished this last night and I'll be honest and say it's a mixed bag that, on the whole didn't quite work for me. It does start off like a generic police drama, girl gets abducted, Lennox and co are on the case, there are hints at something else. There were too many sub-plots that didn't really go anywhere or were at best just satisfying without really impacting on the main story. Things ramp up in the last two episodes and it gets more Welsh-like, and very dark, best not to judge it on the first couple of episodes. 

Spoiler

Good to see John Simm, he makes a proper meal of his character. Can't say the conclusion of the main case was particularly satisfying though. In essence it was a battle of wits Between Lennox and The Confectioner, when Lennox broke down Simm's character just gave them the info, no detecting required. By then though it had turned into a portrait of a man still dealing with childhood trauma, his family, his relationship, the job. I felt it really depends on how invested in the psychological side of the drama the viewer is to determine how much they'd enjoy it. 

The subplots were a mixed bag, Trudi handling the sexual harassment at work had very little bearing on the main story but was ultimately satisfying, but others like Drummond's stalker felt a bit like filler, there wasn't enough to bulk out the characters. 

Lennox and Trudi are on their way on holiday at the end, so I'm assuming they'll be going to Florida as per the novel, where Lennox ends up protecting a 10 year-old girl from a gang of paedophiles. 

The very end hints at them wanting to adapt the rest of the book, should they get the money. I'll watch it even though this didn't have me as gripped as I'd hoped.