IGNORED

The Gizmondo appreciation (Kind of...) Thread

Elseb

I've recently bought a boxed console and seven games so will be giving it a look over the coming weeks but was hoping to hear some memories from people who have owned one, whether that was when it was released or years later. It was a large amount of money when first released, pretty sure there was even a dedicated store in London.

If you didn't buy one, did you know it would be a flop or was the price too much? 

Must have been pretty annoying for anybody who paid full price with only 14 games released...

I bought a Smart Adds console when Argos were selling them off. The problem with most of them now is that the rubberised finish has perished. I think I owned pretty much all the games. I probably don’t have any left, but I still have the console and even the sat nav in car holder thing!

I used to visit gizmondoforums quite a bit. It was fairly exciting when the pre-release games like Colors were being made available. Some of the devs were selling finished versions of their games that they never had the opportunity to release properly. I wonder if they’re worth something now.

37 minutes ago, klargon said:

The problem with most of them now is that the rubberised finish has perished. 

Yeah generally whenever I see them on ebay, the rubber has become worn and sticky which makes it pretty unusable, however, you can improve it fairly easily with Isoproponal Alcohol and polish, i actually spent half an hour on an old one earlier today and its turned out really good. You can see how its done on the video below:

My brother worked for Gizmondo for a while. He was brought in as a designer / producer type role, but everything he was told he'd be working on was already finished when he started. He said he could see there was something funny going on from day one. Not least because there were whole teams being brought in with nothing for them to do. I think they pretty much admitted they were increasing headcount to make the company look better and pump up the stock price. Didn't someone on here work there as well? I seem to think someone asked me if I wanted to work there, I refused (I'd left the industry by this point) but recommended my brother.

Edit: I said I'd played on one, but I was thinking of that phone / handheld combo thing. What was that?

I was managing a Gamestation branch around the time of the Gizmondo's launch. We used to get a sales rep pop in every couple of weeks to show off the machine and a few games. I was far too polite - I used to tell him I thought it looked really cool even though I don't think he himself really believed that. And despite all his visits, we never even stocked the bloody thing in the finish.

1 hour ago, klargon said:

The sum total of my Gizmondo collection. Official case and headphones!

E87E9C9B-70B6-42FC-B551-A17D1BDDE6D5.jpeg

Toy Golf wasn't with the bunch of games I got, is it worth playing? 

Also that's the first time I've seen the official case, didn't know it existed haha. 

My Gizmondo and games were delivered today, initial thoughts...

- Trailblazer is excellent, massive shame if it didn't get ported elsewhere.

- Sticky Balls, HockeyRage, Richard Burns Rally all seem quite fun. Will definitely put more time into each of them.

-SSX3 is a bit of a mess. Shocking Framerate which is a shame as graphically its pretty nice and the Sounds/music are really good. 

- As I now have a charger, I turned on an old Gizmondo which I've had for years for the first time, it had some random guys text messages saved from 2004. Most being from his GF, I won't go into details. :lol:

On 15/11/2021 at 10:25, ScouserInExile said:

My brother worked for Gizmondo for a while. He was brought in as a designer / producer type role, but everything he was told he'd be working on was already finished when he started. He said he could see there was something funny going on from day one. Not least because there were whole teams being brought in with nothing for them to do. I think they pretty much admitted they were increasing headcount to make the company look better and pump up the stock price. Didn't someone on here work there as well? I seem to think someone asked me if I wanted to work there, I refused (I'd left the industry by this point) but recommended my brother.

Edit: I said I'd played on one, but I was thinking of that phone / handheld combo thing. What was that?

I worked there for about a year. It was fucking weird.

I’ve had one for years with 11 games (all picked up very cheap when the machine was being cleared) and always thought the hardware was very capable. It has a surprisingly strong line up of games considering how few were released.

Trailblazer is brilliant as you say.

I found SSX to be fine to be honest. Sticky Balls is fun, Richard Burns Rally is decent, Motocross and Hockey Rage are both really solid. To be fair most the games are at least solid and playable. 

The hardware gets dunked on - often by YouTubers with little clue- but was very decent for the time. If Sony had released it as the PSP and it had the support of those major developers it would have been much more highly regarded.

obviously the rubber coating is a nightmare and the whole thing was tied up with money laundering and organised crime and the like. The actual story of the machine is the most interesting thing about it. However the machine itself was actually decent enough.

Did love UK Resistance’s early lashing of the Gizmondo Shop though :)

Take into account though that I also have and enjoy games on a Gamate, SuperVision, GameCom, GameKing, MegaDuck, N-Gage, Tapwave Zodiac and more :)

2 hours ago, Grey Fox said:

I found SSX to be fine to be fine to be honest. 

I'll have to give it another go but in the one course I did, it wasn't an easy going experience haha. 

What other games do you have, any worth playing?

The plan is to try and get a full set but some of the games rarely come up on ebay annoyingly. 

Have all of them except FIFA, Classic Compendium 2 and Interstellar Flames. Fifa is decent but ultimately it is FIFA.

To be honest all of them are at least solid and playable. Trailblazer is probably the best all round game and showcase for the hardware. 

Fathammer Classics isn’t brilliant but had 3 games on it including a vertical shooter that is ok. Pocket Ping Ping ain’t great (think of those sort of 505 or Simple 2500 games on PS2 sort of level). I actually got fairly into Toy Golf a Sunday it works well on the platform.

None are amazing but all are a thing least playable - I.e. not fundamentally broken or frustrating etc The cases do look ace on a shelf in fairness.

You can hack it to allow playing from the card which means you can try some of the unreleased games which have been leaked subsequently online. Some of which are pretty impressive.