IGNORED

Bernie Drummond has passed away

Unofficial Who

https://www.facebook.com/groups/WorldOfSpectrum.org/posts/3128493364091981

I’m a bit if a lurker here, but I’ve the sad news that Bernie Drummond of Matchday 2, Head over Heals, Batman and more passed away recently.

He was my local mate - didn’t age much from his 80s photos and we had many a beer over the games and stories.

I haven't been able to verify this elsewhere (edit: Now widely reported) this is sad news. One of the best pixel artists from the 8 bit days.

screenshot-of-head-over-heels-zx-spectru

Batman-ZX-Spectrum.jpg?q=50&fit=crop&w=7

Edited by Unofficial Who

That’s a real shame.

Had the pleasure of interviewing Jon Ritman a couple of times and he was so full of praise for Bernie’s graphics. The oft-told story was of how Jon sat him down with the graphic editor, Bernie started plotting random pixels and out emerged an eyeball monster that appeared in Batman. 

There is is so much character in Head over Heels, and the distinctive background styles of the various planets/bases are so atmospheric.

Very sad news, may he rest in peace.

For me the first rockstar graphic artist. At least he was the first I can recall getting top billing (together with Jon Ritman) on a game back then although my memory may betray me. He produced very distinctive graphics for head over heels, Batman and match day 2. The prince charles robot from head over heels is still a personal favourite. I must admit I heard good things about Monster Max at the time but didn’t have a gameboy back then. I must track it down.

3 hours ago, crocked said:

For me the first rockstar graphic artist. At least he was the first I can recall getting top billing (together with Jon Ritman) on a game back then although my memory may betray me. He produced very distinctive graphics for head over heels, Batman and match day 2. The prince charles robot from head over heels is still a personal favourite. I must admit I heard good things about Monster Max at the time but didn’t have a gameboy back then. I must track it down.

Given he played in a band (albeit new wave rather than rock) this is at least partly true! 

• Unofficial Who changed the title to Bernie Drummond has passed away

My first introduction to his work was murky screenshots of Batman on the Speccy. I was already jealous over Knight Lore but this thislloked even better.

As a C64 owner I resigned myself to never owning a game that looked like that. As a C64 owner in a country where Spectrums were import only I also had to resign myself to never playing said games.

But then Head Over Heels was released on the C64. My first taste of the Ultimate style game was probably the best and Colin Porch's adaptation accurately kept Bernie's unique style.

77693-head-over-heels-commodore-64-scree

77696-head-over-heels-commodore-64-scree

11 hours ago, crocked said:

It’s not Prince Charles.

It’s Plug from The Bash Street Kids.

7 hours ago, merman said:

It’s not Prince Charles.

It’s Plug from The Bash Street Kids.

There’s a nice article to the making of head over heels here https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-08-07-the-making-of-head-over-heels and it mentions this. I’d forgotten that head over heels was originally called foot and mouth while it was being developed.

15 hours ago, Phantoon said:

Oh no, that's really sad. I've only played Monster Max but it's a real unsung classic. RIP.

Monster Max was almost published by Nintendo themselves, but Jon Ritman passed on that offer due to the extended development time. That’s a real what-if situation; imagine if the game had had a wider release and some marketing afforded by Big N, perhaps some other improvements (battery backup save?), it’d be a well-known classic on every YouTubers’ “best Game Boy games” list. As it is, it’s a genuinely superb game for the system, basically a consolised take on the classic 8-bit isometric adventure with (dare I say it) elements of the Metroidvania style.

39 minutes ago, merman said:

I interviewed Jon Ritman twice, so it’s straight from the source. As jdanddiet points out, it then got referred to as Prince Charles.

Having taken the time to consider the facts and the context it's fair comment. He made a face to look like Plug but they decided it could as easily have been Prince Charles so they told everyone that because they thought it might be better PR. They were correct and your average person, me, never knew the origins.

I mean, Prince Charles on a Dalek body has been a pretty effective figure in UK gaming lore.