IGNORED

Dopesick - Disney+

Thor

There's a smidgen of chatter about this in the Disney+ thread, but this show deserves its own. So far only three episodes are available, with new ones every Wednesday. 

Dopesick is a dramatisation of the book Dopesick: Dealers, Doctors and the Drug Company that Addicted America, which covers the opioid epidemic that occurred in the United States between the late 1990s and the early-mid 2000s after a big pharma company managed to get its highly addictive pain-relief drug approved as only mildly addictive. The story is told from three main perspectives: Purdue Pharma who produced and aggressively marketed their drug; a small Virginia mining town affected by the epidemic; and Virginia Law enforcement along with the DEA.

It's gripping television, and the cast is first class with Rosario Dawson, Peter Saarsgaard, Will Poulter, Michael Stuhlbarg, and Michael Keaton. Keaton is fucking sensational.

Hulu has already shown all eight episodes, so be careful of spoilers. And yeah, it's tempting ... but I may just hold off and see of this thread generates some weekly discussion. 

12 minutes ago, KartoffelKopf said:

Yep, I’m definitely interested in this, particularly after listening to Adam Buxton’s podcast with Patrick Radden Keefe who also wrote a book on the Opioid crisis. I just not had a chance to catch it yet and will likely end up waiting to binge it. 

Get on it asap because as Thor said this is cracking telly. 

And I agree Keaton was superb in last night's episode. 

It's bleak viewing but incredibly gripping. I thought the first episode was quite hammy and some of the writing wasn't exactly subtle, but it's developed really well and the performances from most of the leads are excellent. The last episode was especially good.

I usually love Michael Stuhlbarg, but I have to say, I'm struggling with his performance a bit. I know he's worked at nailing the cadence of Richard Sackler, but it feels a bit like an impression to me and so it's a tad pantomime.

Overall, It does an excellent job of showing how quickly and easily something like this can happen in the States. Terrifying and depressing.

On 28/11/2021 at 07:40, Oracle said:

I'm enjoying this and seeing Keaton on TV more. Why did he drop off the face of the planet for a decade?

From the man himself...

There’s me taking a pause: I really like life, doing things, having a normal life. So there was that. And there was me getting bored, hearing the sound of my voice, seeing the same old tricks. So I may have lost interest, combined with a whole lot of people not knocking on my door. It wasn’t just me. But I also consciously started to slowly change things internally, and it worked.

On 25/11/2021 at 10:08, Thor said:

No-one else? Last night's episode was great, Keaton was fucking terrific.

Thanks for reminding me. Totally forgot about this. 

This and Succession are on my list. 

Just binged up to the latest episode. (Ep 5)

This is definitely one of the best shows of the year. Struggling to remember anything better. 

Going to be a long wait until Wednesday?

This is utterly captivating and depressing stuff. I'm a bit behind due to being sidelined finishing a couple of other shows, but I just finished episode 3. The thing I'm most intrigued about is Stuhlbarg's character, trying to fathom out whether he's blinded by his own desire to deliver humanity from pain, and believes he's on a righteous path, or fully aware of the level of subterfuge he's creating to tackle his personal insecurities about his family and company

I watched the first episode of this, but found it quite hard to enjoy despite the great cast and fascinating/horrifying subject matter. The show looks very distractingly cheap, and I spent most of the episode feeling like I was being pelted with exposition - honestly it felt a bit like a dramatisation of a wikipedia article. First episodes tend to pack in a lot of setup, so I'm willing to give it another go. Am I going to be wasting my time?