IGNORED

Do any 80s action tv shows still hold up to repeat viewing?

Vespa Alex

Magnum P.I. is flipping ace. Selleck is so charismatic, the location is gorgeous (especially if you watch in the winter), and it’s good humoured and fun. 

It’s all been added to that IMDb TV streaming service if (unlike me) you don’t have it on dvd. 

2 hours ago, Vespa Alex said:

I’m thinking Knight Rider, The A Team, Airwolf, Tales Of The Golden Monkey and so on. 

Obviously they were all awesome at the time, but are any of them watchable now?

Watchable, yes. A-Team is still as daft and watchable as it was back then. They’re just old-fashioned. But they hold up as well as anything old does, film or TV wise. You soon forget about modern technology and how much different the show would be with it, and go back to wondering how come they never manage to kill anybody. 

Nothing wrong with the Dukes of Hazzard. An American South where there are only white people, good old boys driving around in a 7 litre death trap with the Confederate flag painted on the top and a foxy chick who only ever seems to wear hot pants. Fabulous stuff

1 hour ago, mash said:

Nothing wrong with the Dukes of Hazzard. An American South where there are only white people, good old boys driving around in a 7 litre death trap with the Confederate flag painted on the top and a foxy chick who only ever seems to wear hot pants. Fabulous stuff

I don't think that particular aspect is what the OP had in mind when they asked if it still holds up!

I thought the Dukes of Hazzard was the dogs bollocks as a kid - I caught an episode recently on on of the higher channels on Freeview and what I thought was a thrilling high speed car chase was two cars going slowly around a roundabout except treating it as a square so that they could make the tyres squeal.  Coupled with acting best described as "broad" it's.. um.. no.

Both The Fall Guy and The A-Team have aged far better than you might think it would though.  The most jarring bit is the switch from outside (done on film) to studio interiors (on video) but that's just the way they did it back then and plenty of other shows have the same transition getting shown up by modern TVs.

2 hours ago, davidcotton said:

Air wolf you just had to tune in for the last 20 minutes to watch them blow the shit out of everything. 

Only it was the same stock footage of a little bird in tan camo being blown to bits in desert regardless of who they were shooting at for that episode.

Fucking magic! 🤘🏻

23 hours ago, Twinbee said:

Magnum P.I. is flipping ace. Selleck is so charismatic, the location is gorgeous (especially if you watch in the winter), and it’s good humoured and fun. 

It’s all been added to that IMDb TV streaming service if (unlike me) you don’t have it on dvd. 

I adore Magnum. I think as a kid it was just pew pew and a Ferrari but watching it as an adult with a the links to their past in Vietnam it was some decent writing.

I was too young to watch it at the time, but Hill Street Blues is on All4, and I’m slowly working through series 1. It is marvellous. 

A little dated in places, but balances proper social commentary with levity and a few silly sub plots surprisingly well. It’s neither The Wire, nor Brooklyn 99, but you can see how a show like this could influence both. 

And of course the theme tune is  one of the all-time greats, which give me a cosy feeling of being tucked up in bed as a kid and hearing it on telly downstairs. 

You know what took me a while to appreciate* in airwolf, blue thunder, and Firefox?

the pilot in each of them had PTSD from flying combat missions, or being a POW.

* wrong word entirely.

Edited by SeanR

17 hours ago, SeanR said:

You know what took me a while to appreciate* in airwolf, blue thunder, and Firefox?

the pilot in each of them had PTSD from flying combat missions, or being a POW.

* wrong word entirely.

There was a point when it felt like every US TV show in the 80s had some sort of veteran PTSD story arc. Like we said there was Magnum (I'm sure there was an episode when Rick lost his shit over something and had a massive regress back to the war). A-Team obviously.

Its just weird that at the end of Vietnam vets were treated as a disgrace/ public shame for either being in the way (baby killers!) or losing the war. Yet by the 80s shows were starting to recognise them. 

1 hour ago, idiwa said:

Its just weird that at the end of Vietnam vets were treated as a disgrace/ public shame for either being in the way (baby killers!) or losing the war. Yet by the 80s shows were starting to recognise them. 

Oh, don't worry. Vets are remembered every year on Veterans Day and then promptly forgotten about, unless there's a Very Patriotic(tm) political angle to leverage. It's a disgrace.