Jump to content
IGNORED

Halo Infinite - Campaign discussion (with spoilers!)


tobert
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, tobert said:

Lots of previews of the first 4 missions of the campaign out today, consensus seems to be generally positive without being truly exceptional

Ooh, you got a link to any of these? I've just done a quick Google search but only one came up that was 18 minutes long and basically said it was brilliant. I want to see a range of opinions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Not watching any more previews, this is all I needed to know: "Imagine "The Silent Cartographer: The Game." That's the Halo Infinite singleplayer experience."

 

18 days.

 

Sold. (Well, downloaded)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Eurogamer sound a bit underwhelmed by the campaign (or at least the first four hours of the campaign):

 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-11-19-im-still-searching-for-a-spark-in-halo-infinites-campaign

 

(Mild spoilers about halfway through, which say what the opening level is like - skip the paragraph that starts "Halo Infinite quite clearly harks back to the Halo of old" if you don't want any info of that kind).

 

They say the core combat is fun, but that it's also very one-note in terms of scenery and mission structure, and that clearing the map of icons and enemy outposts is a bit Ubisoft. They say it's Silent Cartographer: The Game, but also that it comes nowhere near the actual Silent Cartographer level in terms of design and impact.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, K said:

Eurogamer sound a bit underwhelmed by the campaign (or at least the first four hours of the campaign):

 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-11-19-im-still-searching-for-a-spark-in-halo-infinites-campaign

 

(Mild spoilers about halfway through, which say what the opening level is like - skip the paragraph that starts "Halo Infinite quite clearly harks back to the Halo of old" if you don't want any info of that kind).

 

They say the core combat is fun, but that it's also very one-note in terms of scenery and mission structure, and that clearing the map of icons and enemy outposts is a bit Ubisoft. They say it's Silent Cartographer: The Game, but also that it comes nowhere near the actual Silent Cartographer level in terms of design and impact.

 

It's written by that absolute bell-end Wesley Yin-Poole, though, so can be ignored.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's also a massive eye-roll peice talk about it lacking a certain "je ne sais quoi" type thing, of world building details that are probably actually there if you look for them. A typical focus not on what's actually there in the game. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

It's also a massive eye-roll peice talk about it lacking a certain "je ne sais quoi" type thing, of world building details that are probably actually there if you look for them. A typical focus not on what's actually there in the game. 

 

"Like a Pixies song, Halo campaigns have always been about oscillating between loud and quiet"  - someone call Pseud's Corner.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, K said:

Eurogamer sound a bit underwhelmed by the campaign (or at least the first four hours of the campaign):

 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-11-19-im-still-searching-for-a-spark-in-halo-infinites-campaign

 

(Mild spoilers about halfway through, which say what the opening level is like - skip the paragraph that starts "Halo Infinite quite clearly harks back to the Halo of old" if you don't want any info of that kind).

 

They say the core combat is fun, but that it's also very one-note in terms of scenery and mission structure, and that clearing the map of icons and enemy outposts is a bit Ubisoft. They say it's Silent Cartographer: The Game, but also that it comes nowhere near the actual Silent Cartographer level in terms of design and impact.

 

I watched and never heard them saying that last comment. They also said its not Ubisoft like, they feared it would be like Far Cry but its not. In fact, it seems they said the opposite of what you said, unless im losing my mind that is. (which is highly likely)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Quote

Slide around in a Warthog, UNSC soldiers marvelling at your air time - it truly is combat evolved. There is even a moment in which Master Chief surveys the battlefield from inside a Pelican, ready to leap into action. 343 may as well scream 'remember the Silent Cartographer level everyone loves? This game is like that!' down your headset.

 

Quote

No main mission I've played so far has truly grabbed me. The Tower, the fourth main mission and the limit on what I'm allowed to talk about at this point before review, offers a tantalising tease of what Infinite may flesh out further down the campaign line, with its upwards-spiralling innards and tense boss fight a welcome change of scenery and pace. But the Silent Cartographer can rest easy as a campaign height Infinite has yet to reach - for now.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here's Digital Foundry's campaign impressions video.

 

Summary: positive about the game's structure ("I am extremely relieved that it is *not* a Far Cry game, at least so far... It seems like it could be more along the lines of an Arkham game, or maybe even a little bit Crysis, but still a little more open world-y than that"), the sense that you're going into places that you're not supposed to get to, its art direction, and most of its performance.

 

Their technical criticisms are about the opening FMV cutscene being choppy and having incorrect black levels, Series S having lower quality/performance framerates than Series X (60/120fps on X versus 30/60fps on S), and inconsistent animation rates in both cutscenes and gameplay.

 

So if those are the biggest issues they've got to moan about, I'd say 343 have done pretty well! 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Why the fuck are they running animations at half or quarter frame rate  , this was easily the most annoying thing about halo 5. Practically unplayable and certain horrible to watch in motion. 

 

343 are really struggling technically by the sounds of it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, sid said:

Why the fuck are they running animations at half or quarter frame rate  , this was easily the most annoying thing about halo 5. Practically unplayable and certain horrible to watch in motion. 

 

343 are really struggling technically by the sounds of it. 

 

What are you playing it on, an Atari?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, sid said:

Why the fuck are they running animations at half or quarter frame rate  , this was easily the most annoying thing about halo 5. Practically unplayable and certain horrible to watch in motion. 

 

343 are really struggling technically by the sounds of it. 

Fuck off with this level of hyperboboe. And fuck off with the spoilers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Practically unplayable...?


When trying to line up shots etc in the middle distance the animation was like stop motion, really fucks with your aiming / predicting where they will be. Pretty sure 5 was the only game so far to do this. Now guardians 😔

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, sid said:

Why the fuck are they running animations at half or quarter frame rate  , this was easily the most annoying thing about halo 5. Practically unplayable and certain horrible to watch in motion. 

 

343 are really struggling technically by the sounds of it. 

If you’re referring to the Digital Foundry analysis, I think this was something during cutscenes rather than actual gameplay. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, Stanley said:

If you’re referring to the Digital Foundry analysis, I think this was something during cutscenes rather than actual gameplay. 

It’s not but nobody would have even noticed if it wasn’t for that PCMR tit that does videos for them - it also has precisely zero impact on gameplay.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Spoiler

He says the combat sandbox is phenomenal, the grappling hook a game changer and that the more linear Forerunner architecture levels are fantastic. He is not sold on the open world and story aspects so far.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Stanley said:

If you’re referring to the Digital Foundry analysis, I think this was something during cutscenes rather than actual gameplay. 


Wow that’s not how I took that in then. Fingers crossed !! Halo 5 was a mess because of this …. 
 

multiplayer is rock solid 

 

this is the bit I read :

 

However, crucially, the motion in-game is smooth and looks so much better, but even here there are issues: key animations like grappling, mantling, reloading, crouching and tossing grenades can all run at lower frame-rates than the game itself. So, while the game runs at a consistent level of performance, visual cues from the game itself don't, giving the perception of bad judder. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, sid said:


Wow that’s not how I took that in then. Fingers crossed !! Halo 5 was a mess because of this …. 
 

multiplayer is rock solid 

 

this is the bit I read :

 

However, crucially, the motion in-game is smooth and looks so much better, but even here there are issues: key animations like grappling, mantling, reloading, crouching and tossing grenades can all run at lower frame-rates than the game itself. So, while the game runs at a consistent level of performance, visual cues from the game itself don't, giving the perception of bad judder. 

 

 

If you watch the video it’s the Chief’s animations not the enemies. I couldn’t tell in the footage they showed but supposedly it’s weird rates, not a definitive halving of the frame rate on them. Sounds more like a bug than a conscious decision to run them at a low frame rate to maintain performance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think the last thing halo needs is a forza style open world map of icons. But I love that they’re doing something different - 5 showed they need to (and 5 is much better than they get credit for). The ‘it’s not ubisoft’ comments are very reassuring.

I’m not playing multiplayer yet. I want my first experience to be the campaign. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.