IGNORED

Halo Infinite - Campaign discussion (with spoilers!)

tobert

1 hour ago, tobert said:

Lots of previews of the first 4 missions of the campaign out today, consensus seems to be generally positive without being truly exceptional

Ooh, you got a link to any of these? I've just done a quick Google search but only one came up that was 18 minutes long and basically said it was brilliant. I want to see a range of opinions.

1 hour ago, Uncle Nasty said:

Not watching any more previews, this is all I needed to know: "Imagine "The Silent Cartographer: The Game." That's the Halo Infinite singleplayer experience."

18 days.

Sold. (Well, downloaded)

Eurogamer sound a bit underwhelmed by the campaign (or at least the first four hours of the campaign):

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-11-19-im-still-searching-for-a-spark-in-halo-infinites-campaign

(Mild spoilers about halfway through, which say what the opening level is like - skip the paragraph that starts "Halo Infinite quite clearly harks back to the Halo of old" if you don't want any info of that kind).

They say the core combat is fun, but that it's also very one-note in terms of scenery and mission structure, and that clearing the map of icons and enemy outposts is a bit Ubisoft. They say it's Silent Cartographer: The Game, but also that it comes nowhere near the actual Silent Cartographer level in terms of design and impact.

5 minutes ago, K said:

Eurogamer sound a bit underwhelmed by the campaign (or at least the first four hours of the campaign):

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2021-11-19-im-still-searching-for-a-spark-in-halo-infinites-campaign

(Mild spoilers about halfway through, which say what the opening level is like - skip the paragraph that starts "Halo Infinite quite clearly harks back to the Halo of old" if you don't want any info of that kind).

They say the core combat is fun, but that it's also very one-note in terms of scenery and mission structure, and that clearing the map of icons and enemy outposts is a bit Ubisoft. They say it's Silent Cartographer: The Game, but also that it comes nowhere near the actual Silent Cartographer level in terms of design and impact.

It's written by that absolute bell-end Wesley Yin-Poole, though, so can be ignored.

It's also a massive eye-roll peice talk about it lacking a certain "je ne sais quoi" type thing, of world building details that are probably actually there if you look for them. A typical focus not on what's actually there in the game. 

6 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

It's also a massive eye-roll peice talk about it lacking a certain "je ne sais quoi" type thing, of world building details that are probably actually there if you look for them. A typical focus not on what's actually there in the game. 

"Like a Pixies song, Halo campaigns have always been about oscillating between loud and quiet"  - someone call Pseud's Corner.

41 minutes ago, K said:

I watched and never heard them saying that last comment. They also said its not Ubisoft like, they feared it would be like Far Cry but its not. In fact, it seems they said the opposite of what you said, unless im losing my mind that is. (which is highly likely)

Slide around in a Warthog, UNSC soldiers marvelling at your air time - it truly is combat evolved. There is even a moment in which Master Chief surveys the battlefield from inside a Pelican, ready to leap into action. 343 may as well scream 'remember the Silent Cartographer level everyone loves? This game is like that!' down your headset.

No main mission I've played so far has truly grabbed me. The Tower, the fourth main mission and the limit on what I'm allowed to talk about at this point before review, offers a tantalising tease of what Infinite may flesh out further down the campaign line, with its upwards-spiralling innards and tense boss fight a welcome change of scenery and pace. But the Silent Cartographer can rest easy as a campaign height Infinite has yet to reach - for now.

Here's Digital Foundry's campaign impressions video.

Summary: positive about the game's structure ("I am extremely relieved that it is *not* a Far Cry game, at least so far... It seems like it could be more along the lines of an Arkham game, or maybe even a little bit Crysis, but still a little more open world-y than that"), the sense that you're going into places that you're not supposed to get to, its art direction, and most of its performance.

Their technical criticisms are about the opening FMV cutscene being choppy and having incorrect black levels, Series S having lower quality/performance framerates than Series X (60/120fps on X versus 30/60fps on S), and inconsistent animation rates in both cutscenes and gameplay.

So if those are the biggest issues they've got to moan about, I'd say 343 have done pretty well! 

Why the fuck are they running animations at half or quarter frame rate  , this was easily the most annoying thing about halo 5. Practically unplayable and certain horrible to watch in motion. 

343 are really struggling technically by the sounds of it. 

4 hours ago, sid said:

Why the fuck are they running animations at half or quarter frame rate  , this was easily the most annoying thing about halo 5. Practically unplayable and certain horrible to watch in motion. 

What are you playing it on, an Atari?

5 hours ago, sid said:

Fuck off with this level of hyperboboe. And fuck off with the spoilers.

10 hours ago, Kayin Amoh said:

Practically unplayable...?

When trying to line up shots etc in the middle distance the animation was like stop motion, really fucks with your aiming / predicting where they will be. Pretty sure 5 was the only game so far to do this. Now guardians 😔

14 hours ago, sid said:

If you’re referring to the Digital Foundry analysis, I think this was something during cutscenes rather than actual gameplay. 

38 minutes ago, Stanley said:

If you’re referring to the Digital Foundry analysis, I think this was something during cutscenes rather than actual gameplay. 

It’s not but nobody would have even noticed if it wasn’t for that PCMR tit that does videos for them - it also has precisely zero impact on gameplay.

Spoiler

He says the combat sandbox is phenomenal, the grappling hook a game changer and that the more linear Forerunner architecture levels are fantastic. He is not sold on the open world and story aspects so far.

6 hours ago, Stanley said:

Wow that’s not how I took that in then. Fingers crossed !! Halo 5 was a mess because of this …. 

multiplayer is rock solid 

this is the bit I read :

However, crucially, the motion in-game is smooth and looks so much better, but even here there are issues: key animations like grappling, mantling, reloading, crouching and tossing grenades can all run at lower frame-rates than the game itself. So, while the game runs at a consistent level of performance, visual cues from the game itself don't, giving the perception of bad judder. 

54 minutes ago, sid said:

Wow that’s not how I took that in then. Fingers crossed !! Halo 5 was a mess because of this …. 

multiplayer is rock solid 

this is the bit I read :

However, crucially, the motion in-game is smooth and looks so much better, but even here there are issues: key animations like grappling, mantling, reloading, crouching and tossing grenades can all run at lower frame-rates than the game itself. So, while the game runs at a consistent level of performance, visual cues from the game itself don't, giving the perception of bad judder. 

If you watch the video it’s the Chief’s animations not the enemies. I couldn’t tell in the footage they showed but supposedly it’s weird rates, not a definitive halving of the frame rate on them. Sounds more like a bug than a conscious decision to run them at a low frame rate to maintain performance.

I think the last thing halo needs is a forza style open world map of icons. But I love that they’re doing something different - 5 showed they need to (and 5 is much better than they get credit for). The ‘it’s not ubisoft’ comments are very reassuring.

I’m not playing multiplayer yet. I want my first experience to be the campaign.