IGNORED

Halo Infinite - Campaign discussion (with spoilers!)

tobert

1 hour ago, RubberJohnny said:

Wild that this got split out “due to spoilers” when no-one posted any.

K literally quoted someone talking about the content of the fourth mission.

Some would regard that as a spoiler so now all of the conversation around the campaign can happen in its own thread without the risk of affecting the experience for people who want to go in blind. 

It's not as if we have one thread for positive talk only and another for more critical takes.

I don't think this needs to be a "spoiler thread" per se, but it's nice that those who don't want any of the campaign discussed can have two separate threads for single and multi? Especially seeing as the multi's out now?

*sidles back into the forum after a 2 or 3 year absence*

So uhm, yeah this looks fucking fantastic and I'm looking foeward to grappling around grunts and chucking exploding barrels at Elites, even if the campaign is at 30fps as I suspect it iso  on my bog standard Xbone.

I'm shocked the pre-load is only 29gigs. Maybe that's just the launcher for a 200gig day one download.

Spoiler: some of Master Chief's shit mates who you won't remember the name of will die in the campaign.

edit: this is a quote from Timmo's post up the top of this page, not a spoiler.

Spoiler

We all know it's Cortana who dies.

If anyone says they can remember any of the names of Chief's squad in Halo 5 without looking at a wiki or some terrible novel I'll call them a fucking liar.

I can't wait for the punch-the-air moment when much-loved characters Lt. Bostock Canaveral, Sgt. Ilium Sativa, and Col. Jericho Meatus arrive to save the day, or the poignant moment of tragedy when they tragically die saving that beardy pilot guy from tripping over an uneven paving stone.

I just assumed Girth Certificate was making the obvious joke that none of the 'beloved' Halo 5 characters, including Spartan Luke Cage, have appeared for even a fleeting moment in any marketing materials and will likely be memory holed ASAP and Strafe and Layen are McBainster Chiefs.

4 minutes ago, Harsin said:

I just assumed Girth Certificate was making the obvious joke that none of the 'beloved' Halo 5 characters, including Spartan Luke Cage, have appeared for even a fleeting moment in any marketing materials and will likely be memory holed ASAP and Strafe and Layen are McBainster Chiefs.

Whoops.

Fred 4eva.

6 hours ago, Girth Certificate said:

I'm shocked the pre-load is only 29gigs. Maybe that's just the launcher for a 200gig day one download.

If anyone says they can remember any of the names of Chief's squad in Halo 5 without looking at a wiki or some terrible novel I'll call them a fucking liar.

Tinky Winky, Po, Laa-Laa, and Dipsy I believe.

I did have to look it up, mind.

There were some very nice-looking environments there, and I liked the way they cut between different sections using the weapon animations as wipes. I have to confess I find it hard to be that excited about the Banished, or them trying to set off another Halo - I feel like I've played that game several times already - but maybe the final plot will have a few surprises.

19 hours ago, K said:

There were some very nice-looking environments there, and I liked the way they cut between different sections using the weapon animations as wipes. I have to confess I find it hard to be that excited about the Banished, or them trying to set off another Halo - I feel like I've played that game several times already - but maybe the final plot will have a few surprises.

Well, Halo did "finish" at the conclusion of Halo 3 (with Reach & ODST acting as prequel/side-story), as Halo 4 & 5 are far too convoluted for any human to actually understand. 

I now think we're fully into "Princess Peach has been captured by Bowser again oh no! ...and she's in another castle!" territory.  

The campaign is going to start like this explaining away what happened to all the fan favourites like Spartan Locke, The Warden, Master Chief's mates, that stupid AI that looked like a WWI fighter pilot and all the other dumb elements of those games I’ve forgotten.

Just now, Girth Certificate said:

yeah big bang of of the First Order 'oh shit we don't know what to do just give the old baddies a new logo' off them.

I get the impression that they wanted to go back to basics without pissing off the vocal lore fanatics. Choosing an existing faction that was already introduced in Halo Wars 2 as the antagonists to get away from the horribly convoluted politics and drama of the Covenant from the past games, seems like an effective way of making a clean break while keeping the lore nerds happy.