Halo Infinite - Campaign discussion (with spoilers!)

tobert

4 minutes ago, JPL said:

As long as the Elites have the same behaviour as CE, I don’t care what faction they are. I can’t wait to get stuck in next week.

This. And that the story doesn't get in the way of the game - which was a major problem with the sequels. I don't care which faction they are either, what I meant was if this allows them to make a clean break from all the story bullshit in the previous games and just have an opposing force that's there to, well, oppose you - then I'm all for it.

Just now, Mr. Gerbik said:

This. And that the story doesn't get in the way of the game - which was a major problem with the sequels. I don't care which faction they are either, what I meant was if this allows them to make a clean break from all the story bullshit in the previous games and just have an opposing force that's there to, well, oppose you - then I'm all for it.

Definitely. I hope the story takes as much of a back seat as it did back in CE.

The story definitely didn't take a backseat in Halo CE. It was front and centre. The main differences between it and most of the sequels were that a) it was internally coherent, b) it was quite tight, and c) they didn't make gameplay or structural compromises to accommodate it. And there are probably d) to z) other differences, but whatever. Main thing is, I absolutely loved the story in CE and rather than getting in the way of things it drove the whole adventure. The little expositional breaks provided momentum, or turned an important corner for you, rather than being eyeball-rolling interruptions to gameplay. They advanced things meaningfully.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter now. You can't go back and recapture that with everything that's gone on since - such is the curse of any franchise that builds on a story that's essentially complete in the first outing. I think the most you can hope for is that the 'story' here is minimised, and it doesn't affect any gameplay decisions. I mean, that's obviously what everyone here is hoping for anyway. All I'm saying is the Halo CE doesn't fall into that bracket for me, where the story doesn't matter. It's still one of my favourite stories in any action videogame - perfect sci-fi pulp, but extremely well integrated with the way the game develops throughout.

The main differentiator of CE to me is that it had a real sense of mystery. You were thrown into things, given a bunch of evocative proper nouns – Pillar of Autumn, Forerunners, Truth and Reconciliation, etc – and largely left to figure things out. If you weren't bothered about scratching at the surface then objectives and major plot points were still easy to follow, but the amount of unknowns made it feel like the game's world had a certain depth.

By contrast it's hard for a monologuing Brute to elicit much of anything. In recent games it's also felt less like being dropped into a world you aren't meant to understand and more akin to turning up to a lecture without having done the required reading.

I'm looking forward to Infinite's campaign mechanically, but from a story perspective I doubt I will – or even can – care about it at all.

38 minutes ago, Gorf King said:

The story definitely didn't take a backseat in Halo CE. It was front and centre. The main differences between it and most of the sequels were that a) it was internally coherent, b) it was quite tight, and c) they didn't make gameplay or structural compromises to accommodate it. And there are probably d) to z) other differences, but whatever. Main thing is, I absolutely loved the story in CE and rather than getting in the way of things it drove the whole adventure. The little expositional breaks provided momentum, or turned an important corner for you, rather than being eyeball-rolling interruptions to gameplay. They advanced things meaningfully.

Anyway, it doesn't really matter now. You can't go back and recapture that with everything that's gone on since - such is the curse of any franchise that builds on a story that's essentially complete in the first outing. I think the most you can hope for is that the 'story' here is minimised, and it doesn't affect any gameplay decisions. I mean, that's obviously what everyone here is hoping for anyway. All I'm saying is the Halo CE doesn't fall into that bracket for me, where the story doesn't matter. It's still one of my favourite stories in any action videogame - perfect sci-fi pulp, but extremely well integrated with the way the game develops throughout.

Yeah, I agree. What I meant was it doesn't interfere with the gameplay. There's a brief setup, then a handful of cutscenes throughout, but the rest is all action. It's perfectly balanced.

2 hours ago, JPL said:

As long as the Elites have the same behaviour as CE, I don’t care what faction they are. I can’t wait to get stuck in next week.

Same. If they look like the covenant and die like the covenant then I’m happy.

I can’t find the original post but someone mentioned how none of the foliage moves. I never noticed that before, now I do.

I hope there is a very sci fi explanation for the lack of wind on the Zeta Halo. That and the amount of texture and environmental detail pop in I’ve seen on some videos.

9 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I can’t find the original post but someone mentioned how none of the foliage moves. I never noticed that before, now I do.

I hope there is a very sci fi explanation for the lack of wind on the Zeta Halo. That and the amount of texture and environmental detail pop in I’ve seen on some videos.

It was me that mentioned it, sorry! It’s been bugging me since the first reveal, but I thought they would have sorted it by now. Obviously a lot of other things took priority.

18 minutes ago, JPL said:

It was me that mentioned it, sorry! It’s been bugging me since the first reveal, but I thought they would have sorted it by now. Obviously a lot of other things took priority.

Thanks for ruining it*

I watched a video where some guy was saying that an explosion of one thing wasn’t as good as it was in an older Halo and he figured that was because of the memory constraints of it having to run on a base Xbox one so they had to strip certain things out (I suppose 4K textures, frame rates and lighting  are one thing but objects are another. Maybe?)

* ps I forgive you 

5 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Thanks for ruining it*

I watched a video where some guy was saying that an explosion of one thing wasn’t as good as it was in an older Halo and he figured that was because of the memory constraints of it having to run on a base Xbox one so they had to strip certain things out (I suppose 4K textures, frame rates and lighting  are one thing but objects are another. Maybe?)

* ps I forgive you 

You would have thought they could have had all the fancy shit like swaying foliage and better explosions on the Series consoles though, then just dialled it back for the last gen Xboxes.

It was a mistake building it for those as well I think.

6 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Agreed. This dual development stuff is holding games back. You could still stream it on a regular Xbox now.

Plus it would have been an incentive to make people upgrade to the new consoles, it they’d have made it Series only.

Yeah I think they should definitely gate out millions of customers still on the old systems so that a bit of grass can move in the wind. We're a year into the new consoles. And Halo Infinite was started six years ago. Nothing I've played on either next-gen console feels like it couldn't have been played in a less shiny longer loading way on last gen systems. That's just where we're at now. And if releasing on both generations means I get a slicker version that loads quickly on my Series S and am still able to play multiplayer with mates of mine that either can't or won't afford to upgrade I can't see it as that huge an issue. 

While agree with everyone who says the Banished are uninspiring story-wise, I think it should mix up the combat quite nicely if we’re fighting mixed groups of Elites and Brutes, which I don’t think we’ve seen in Halo before, it’s always one or the other. 

I maintain the Halo 3 Brutes are massively underrated enemies - people complained that you couldn’t fight Elites in that game for story reasons but I think Bungie went that direction with the Brutes to give a different spin to the loop - Brutes aren’t quite as formidable one on one as Elites but that means you can introduce more of them to a combat scenario and give them heavy weapons as well, which allows for larger scale engagements.

For example, you could never do the Brute Corridor or the hill fight in Tsavo Highway with as many Elites because there’s no way the player could win against that many enemies with rechargeable shields. Against the Brutes you can have epic encounters - so if they can replicate that and add Elites into the mix it could be very special. 

1 hour ago, BitterToad said:

Nothing I've played on either next-gen console feels like it couldn't have been played in a less shiny longer loading way on last gen systems. 

I’d love to - for personal entertainment, really - see Returnal or Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart running on a base PS4.

2 hours ago, Flanders said:

While agree with everyone who says the Banished are uninspiring story-wise

I think the Banished’s back story is pretty good. They got turned over by the Covenant high command and are out for revenge.

A bloodlusting army is just as good as a gang of gullible religious fools who, despite being way more technically advanced and having had hundreds of years to figure out what the Halo’s true purpose was, still got beaten to the punch by John Halo and his blue lady holo-friend who figured it out in a couple of days.

16 minutes ago, Strafe said:

I’d love to - for personal entertainment, really - see Returnal or Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart running on a base PS4.

Obviously they look incredible on PS5 but are they really doing that much that you couldn't do on PS4? Maybe Ratchet with its portals but from what I've heard they weren't all they were cracked up to be anyway were they?

1 hour ago, Flanders said:

While agree with everyone who says the Banished are uninspiring story-wise, I think it should mix up the combat quite nicely if we’re fighting mixed groups of Elites and Brutes, which I don’t think we’ve seen in Halo before, it’s always one or the other. 

I maintain the Halo 3 Brutes are massively underrated enemies - people complained that you couldn’t fight Elites in that game for story reasons but I think Bungie went that direction with the Brutes to give a different spin to the loop - Brutes aren’t quite as formidable one on one as Elites but that means you can introduce more of them to a combat scenario and give them heavy weapons as well, which allows for larger scale engagements.

For example, you could never do the Brute Corridor or the hill fight in Tsavo Highway with as many Elites because there’s no way the player could win against that many enemies with rechargeable shields. Against the Brutes you can have epic encounters - so if they can replicate that and add Elites into the mix it could be very special. 

I hope we get different encounters - all Brutes, all Elites/Grunts/Jackals, a mix of everything. Different groups of enemies in different areas, so it mixes up the combat all the time.

1 hour ago, BitterToad said:

Obviously they look incredible on PS5 but are they really doing that much that you couldn't do on PS4? Maybe Ratchet with its portals but from what I've heard they weren't all they were cracked up to be anyway were they?

You could, I guess, make the same game but they’d look terrible by comparison and run badly. There’s an awful lot of geometry in those games so something would have to give. Some of the bigger set pieces and sequences in Ratchet and Clank wouldn’t be possible, I don’t think. As well as the portals there’s a whole time flipping thing one one of the levels that transforms the entire thing.

2 minutes ago, Strafe said:

Does the 27gig download I have for infinite already include the campaign, does anyone know?

I'm pretty sure that is just the Multiplayer. The complete campaign will be much bigger than that. Halo 5 is over 100GB now, and while that has a lot more MP maps currently it also doesn't have any 4k textures.