IGNORED

A year in, what do you think of the next gen consoles?

HarryBizzle

A year in, what do you think of the next gen consoles?  

320 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I've just realised that it's been over a year since the next (current) gen consoles released, so thought a poll might be interesting.

I've had a PS5 since launch, bought a Series S in December, and then upgraded to a Series X a month or so ago, and think they're all brilliant. Super fast loading is a revelation, so is 60fps becoming the norm. RT seems nice but it's not really a thing in a lot of games and I expect we won't see much of it on consoles this generation.

Sony have done a great job on the PS5, but Game Pass has made the Xbox my go to console. I mainly just play Sony exclusives on the former, but they've had some great ones so far - Miles Morales, Demon's Souls and Ratchet and Clank have all been wonderful. I mostly enjoyed Returnal, too. I've also played God of War 2018 again at 60fps and that was fantastic.

Xbox had some good Game Pass games early on and the updates to FH4 were superb, but it feels like it's coming into its own a bit more with the release of FH5 and Halo Infinite just around the corner.

I remember when the PS4 came out, it rapidly became apparent that it couldn't keep up with my gaming PC, which was only about 150 quid more expensive than that. Everything was 30 fps and I felt pretty let down. This time around, PCs cost silly money and with the benefits of quick resume and 60fps becoming the norm, I feel pretty happy to stick to console only this gen.

So, how's it going, and if you haven't bought one yet - what's stopping you?

1 minute ago, Death Adder said:

Poll is buggered - won't let me vote in just the top one.

Can't find them anywhere here in Japan.

Sorry - have added appropriate options to the other questions.

Another observation - the year has absolutely flown!

Own both a series X and PS5. Very happy with both. My Series X has been getting much more use recently due to Gamepass and Sony's first party going through a bit of a dry patch but Astrobot, Demon's, Returnal and to a lesser extent Ratchet has still made the PS5 purchase worthwhile.

The QOL improvements can't be overstated enough either. Better controllers on both consoles, ridiculously improved loading, 60fps options on nearly everything, Quick Resume on Series consoles. I can only imagine what a slog it would feel like to go back to last gen consoles now.

Got a Series X at launch and have found it to be the best console in terms of hardware and user experience I’ve ever owned. It’s brilliantly engineered, lightning quick, plays pretty much everything at 60fps and with a Game Pass sub has provided an absurd amount of value. One of the best years of gaming I’ve ever had and since the initial outlay I haven’t spent a single penny yet have played and enjoyed well over 50 games on it. It’s bonkers and has completely transformed the way I consume, discover and play games.

Lack of proper next-gen games out of the gate was a bit of a stumble but not one I noticed particularly as I had a generation’s worth of Xbox games to catch up on that were all enhanced in some way. Flight Sim, Forza Horizon 5 and Halo have seen the Xbox strategy begin to flourish though and they’ve all been exceptional experiences. Flight Sim in particular has blown me away and opened up a whole new landscape in terms of the type of experience I can get from a games console.

The PS5 big hitters are going to start arriving next year as well which is a mouthwatering prospect, so I’ll be looking to pick one up before the end of 2022 I think.

Definitely feel like I made the right choice for me in going for Xbox at launch but it seems pretty apparent that both consoles are going to have a fantastic generation and I’ve never enjoyed gaming more than I am right now. Good times ahead for everyone and I’ve been very happy with the first year of this gen. 🙂

Poll doesn't include the Switch :P technically the competitor to PS4 and XB1 was originally the WiiU...

I only just got a new-gen console - a PS5 - yesterday afternoon. Had some troubling moments at the beginning where it wouldn't recognise the DualSense button presses (yes I charged it, yes I synced it, yes I updated everything, yes I turned off any potential interference, yes I tried the console in both orientations) but when I checked more recently it seemed to have sorted itself out. I don't have any games yet (PS+ stuff and freebies excepted) but I really like the speed of UI navigation, and loading seems quick and it's super-quiet. :wub: 

Love my X, probably the best non Nintendo console I've owned, which is as much due to GamePass I think.

Despise my PS5, a hideous lump with nothing to play on it. Only bought one as got it before the X and got a bit whipped up in the hype, one fell into my lap on a Game drop where I happened to be on the site at the right time, and it's only FOMO making me hold onto it as I don't know what, but suspect something I may want to play gets released on it next year. If I had the moment again though I'd not buy a PS5, probably put less than 15-20h into it.

Series X here and while it is broadly more of the same (came from an Xbox One X), it's by far my favourite console since the Snes. I can play 4 generations worth of games (many of which have never looked better), everything works quickly and gamepass means I'm never without something to play. 

Have both, mostly playing FH5 on PC though. Halo on Series X.

PS5 has been turned off for two months in order to declutter the lounge), and probably won’t be turned on again till February.

PS5 and 3080 equipped PC with Xbox Game Pass Ultimate here using a Series 2 elite controller (so essentially an xbox series XXX). Pretty happy with both software wise and the PS5 hardware/pad is pretty lush! 

Series S here.  Absolutely loving it. The fast loads are the big thing for me.  Game pass is absolutely smashing it for me.  

ps5 I’ll get next year I think. I keep almost FOMO’ing in but then browse the ps5 thread and there doesn’t seem to be any exclusives now till at least middle of next year at the earliest so plenty of time to wait to play them.  

Very happy with my PS5 and the QOL improvements compared to last gen. Lots of great exclusives and welcome upgrades of last gen games in a year. I don’t care that there’s a bit of a draught in exclusives atm because I still have a lot of stuff on the back burner 

Got an S, X and PS5.

The ecosystem of the Series Consoles in amazing. It's the best console every for playing my heritage. And the controller of the PS5 is jut so good. The PS5 with Astrobot, Demon Souls, Returnal, Deathloop just really feels like a fantastic year of next gen. Rachet and Clank is pure 7/10 but shows what nextgen can do. We're only just getting close to that this year with MS now that Forza and Halo are launching. I think we've gained a lot from COVID hitting MS and it turning their focus backwards to support the past. That ground work will pay and pay.

Both have more than paid for themselves this year. Especially during such a shitty year. I predict a hell of a lot of people here changing their tune towards the PS5s when it becomes easier to get - or a version that looks more socially acceptable gets released. Having both sides of the coin is grand.

I have vague desires to own a Series X and a PS5 for improved performance for older games. I'm not fussed about them for the moment but I didn't think that the poll options accurately reflected my ambivalence. (Perhaps having a PS4 Pro and a One X have made the generational leap less compelling?)

PS5 is excellent, really pleased with it.

It runs silently which is a big thing after PS4 noise.

it loads up super quick and the UI while not perfect is good.

Pad is lovely- I was a big fan of the 360 pad but I think this is nicer. It’s a bit more spacious than the DualShock and XBox pad so I prefer it. Funky haptics are a bonus.

As a rule I buy games on disc then sell them when I’m done. It basically only uses the disc as a key so load times are not effected. I’ve bought most of the exclusive games ( plus a few others) and looking at my eBay account on balance I’ve spent about £12 this year, so for me it’s a better value proposition than Game Pass. 
 F1 2021 and Sackboy I actually sold on eBay for more than they cost me.

My only gripe is the performance mode vs quality mode thing. Naively I was hoping for 60fps / 4K / Ray Tracing as a standard rather than having to choose 2 out of 3 each game. 

Have a PS5 and a series S. Play the series S pretty regularly and can't be arsed to play the PS5.

Prefer playing games on my PC TBH. Not a slight on the consoles but my favoured type of games are more PC-orientated.

I’m very pleased with my Series X. It’s slightly weird because I haven’t really played much new since I got it; I’ve mostly used it to revisit older games at higher resolution, and with quicker loading and higher frame rates. In that sense, it feels more like buying a new phone or a new TV than a new console, in that it’s basically the same as my old console, it’s just better. Flight Simulator aside, there hasn’t really been that moment of setting it up and getting stuck into something that wouldn’t have been possible on the old hardware, like when playing Bioshock or or Uncharted or GTA3 or Soul Calibur or whatever. But it’s a fantastic piece of hardware, and well worth the money.

Have a Series X and a PS5. The Xbox is my go to console, haven't played anything on the PS5 since finishing Ratchet and Clank.

I really like the Series X, it is not until I use my sons One X that I realise just how fast it is. The speed of loading and menus are probably the number one reason that I play more games now, even a game like Battlefield only takes a couple of minutes to start meaning that just playing that one match (damn kids 😆) is possible without a massive time commitment.

PS5 has been excellent, as well as the big hitters mentioned by others the DualSense has been fantastic with F1 and WRC9 in particular but also Dirt 5 (once set to 50% strength) and in a more subtle way with the updated Wreckfest. Project Cars 3 also runs very nicely on the PS5 and is a surprisingly great game and not forgetting the updated NFS:HS. 

Other games I’m enjoying that have received next gen updates are GoT Director’s Cut, which I still can’t believe isn’t a full on PS5 game, it looks stunning, HZD and Hitman 1 & 2.

The biggest but not unexpected disappointment was the delay to GT7 but that’s not too far off now (hopefully lol) and I’ve no doubt it’ll be brilliant.

Got them both and the oled switch.

My PS5 hasn’t been turned on in about 6 months, I’m pretty disappointed with the games on it. It’s also dog ugly and sits behind the tv.

Xbox has gamepass so that’s been decent at times, hopefully the new Halo will be a return to form. 

Switch is still the go to console for me. 

As with most things, I think convenience is the killer app. Quick Resume and being able to turn on the console in a couple of seconds and be straight into a game in a couple more seconds has impressed me far more than, say, ray tracing. Ray tracing looks nice, but most of the time, it’s a case of occasionally noticing that the reflections in windows are unusually realistic, and forgetting it’s even on the rest of the time. Quick Resume is something I notice and appreciate every time I switch the console on. 

Bought a PS5 at the start of last December, a Series X in May of this year. Really enjoyed the PS5 launch — Astro Bot and Demon's Souls were a great time — and then... nothing. Perhaps not too surprising, given Sony's culling of all its interesting first-party studios over the PS4's lifespan, but there was just nothing keeping me playing the console for most of 2021, to the point that I sold mine in August. Which, given I sold it for what I'd paid for it, did at least make it a cheap rental! I'll rebuy one when there are games I want to play for it, when the OS doesn't feel like it's stuck in store demo mode, and when the machines don't feel like they're going to keel over at any moment; having a machine that always sounded like it was trying to cook itself to death (and, if I deigned to have a disc in the drive, like it was going to grind itself to dust) didn't bode all that well either. If it hadn't been for that I'd have kept it to play Deathloop at least, but as it was I preferred to get my money back while I could and await a more solid revision.

The Series console, by contrast, has been played almost every day since I got it. It's simply a pleasure to use — a silent, reliable piece of hardware with incredibly snappy load times, particularly when quick resuming — and the combination of backward compatibility which improves nearly all the games played through it and Gamepass has meant I've never wanted for games to play. It's almost making my PC redundant as a games machine right now, as alongside the 'next-gen' games (FH5 has been a delight the past few weeks) it's been a great device for couch-playing my indie darlings — particularly when so many are 'free' courtesy of Gamepass — leaving the PC as my lead machine only really for cursor-driven games.

It feels odd, having gone from a generation where I had a mountain of PS4 and Switch games and an Xbox One whose primary purpose was as a media player, I'm now in the position of having no Sony console newer than a PS3, while the Series X and Switch cover most current/last-gen games for me. Particularly odd, given the prevailing narrative online still seems to be that only Sony has 'real next-gen games' thus far.

Yes, No, PS5. I love the games on PS5, but I've been very unlucky in that my original PS5 was faulty, the then repaired PS5 was just as faulty, and its eventual replacement was mildly less faulty to the point I can put up with it.