A year in, what do you think of the next gen consoles?

HarryBizzle

A year in, what do you think of the next gen consoles?  

316 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

14 minutes ago, Triple A said:

I got rid of my XBSX on learning that I may as well just play on PC.

And there is nowhere near enough dedicated PS5 software.

The economics of the AAA console space are pretty screwed I think.

How do you work that out?

Either console costs a fraction of one of these vaunted PCs.

I love my PS5, but I must admit I've spent more time on it playing upscaled/60fps versions of PS4 games then I have true PS5 games.

The PS5 games I've played have been fantastic and looked beautiful, but silky smooth versions of Ghosts of Tsushima, Control, TLOU2 and Days Gone don't look bad either.

I'm looking forward to seeing what 2021 brings, especially Horizon:Forbidden West

Consoles live and die by the games for me. So despite looking like a I’ve put a roller blade under my tv, I’ve loved the PS5 since picking one up last year. Demon’s, Astro, Returnal and now Death Stranding Directors Cut are all absolutely my cup of tea and there’s been loads in between from PS+, last gen updates and the multi formats. And yeah that controller is proper good.

Now the Xbox has some gamez I’ve picked up a series S and I’m loving it too, it’s such a wee wonder machine. Gamepass combined with quick resume and now cloud gaming really is amazing stuff and I can see how it’s garnered more goodwill on this forum than the PS5.

Both of them feel like a step-up and very “next gen” without even playing a game. I’ve had way more bugs and crashes on the Series S, but I put that down to playing stuff like the Halo Beta and Forza being fresh out the gate as they are, rather than my more traditional method of picking up stuff cheaper and later on PS5.

I’m loving both and would be happy with either one of them on their own too. Proper Golden age of gaming right now and we’re at the start of an amazing generation I reckon.

Got a 5 and an X. Yet to play anything that made me go wow next gen is amazing. Up till now it’s felt like both boxes are nice but incremental updates. Let’s see what the next crop of triple A games brings. 

3 hours ago, Hitcher said:

What if you own both but aren't happy with both of them?

Well, that would mean you’re dead inside surely ;) 

I honestly couldn’t fathom anyone being upset by either of the buggers. 

However, I’m reminded that I’m giddy with delight that I’m playing Gears of War 2 and God of War at 60 fps so I might just be easily pleased.

I managed to get a Series X maybe a month ago, had bought a series S the same week, but sold that to a mate. Before that I had a Xbox 1X.

I didn't think the move from the 1X to Series machines would be a big deal apart from faster loading times, but fuck me, I fucking love this console.

I've played games that I haven't played in years just to see how good they look on the X (and they really do look good) plus all the Gamepass stuff available now, along with all the stuff we know is coming in the future, makes this the very best gaming machine I've ever owned. I fucking love the thing.

It gets switched on pretty much every day now just to have a quick blast of something, or to get stuck right in to Forza, Skyrim, Cyberpunk, Flight Sim etc if I have a bit more free time on my hands. 

I'm an extremely happy gamer these days, more so than I've been in over 40 years of gaming I reckon.

I had a PS5 all pre-ordered and sorted out and arriving on launch day. As yet, I haven't gotten a Series console.

So far, I've been pretty happy with the console, its functionality and the software available for it. It's fast and the OS (although a bit unintuitive in places) lets me get to my games and play them quickly. And the games over that first year - even if it's a bit dry now going into Christmas 2021 - have been steadily released and decent. You've had Astrobot, Miles Morales, Sackboy, Demon's Souls, Returnal (all of which I've played and really enjoyed), Ratchet & Clank (likely my Christmas game this year) and Deathloop (I think it might be one loop-based game too many for me this year) which all were high-quality games. Bugsnax might be this gen's Knack, but I've had an OK time with sone of the Plus games, also. And I've played shitloads of Destiny, and that's a great next-gen time now the menus load and the levels load so much quicker.

I've got plenty to look forwards to next year (Sifu and Horizon Forbidden West are not far out, you've got God of War and maybe Grab Turismo later in the year) and the new PSVR? I think PS5 looks like providing a great library as time goes by.

In the negatives column, some of the UI decisions are maddening. The unclear and messy ways to choose the PS4 or PS5 versions are very confusing. The party chat UI is a fucking state. Although I used them a bit in Astrobot, the Activity Cards things don't appear to be doing a lot, and I'm not sure I've gone delving into that built-in tips and videos section either.

I really like the new pad. The haptics and/or improved vibrations I think are under-rated, even though people do bang on about them enough. Obviously it's being shown off in things like Astrobot, but I think I've noticed it more when it's been less of a showcase. They way some of the weapons feel in Metro: Exodus, for example.

You can't own a PS5, however, and not be constantly aware that you're being gouged at times. The policies around next-gen updates have been ungenerous. The new £70 price point is hard to stomach. Although (until recently, at least - this is a lot less true in Q4 this year) all the Game Pass hype games were met with a variety of "meh" when they actually launched, it's impossible to ignore the difference in value on Xbox to PlayStation. And, of course, the Xbox game production line looks like it's starting to fire up. I assume I'll be getting one next year at some point.

In short, I'd give my PS5 a decent passing grade at its end of year review. It needs a couple of revisions to the OS, and it needs a major rethink of Sony's feelings about its customer base. But it's showing me a good time, and I've been solidly happy with my choice.

For the first time today I experienced Demon's Souls around a friends house on a 4K projector. It's very impressive, the first time I've played a game in 4K. 

This, plus the loading times, means next gen to me. Next-next gen will be 120pfs maybe, no way any game can hit that consistently right now, so a pointless selling point, until maybe the PS5 Pro

Got both on their respective launch days. I was incredibly disappointed with Series X at launch. It had no new games; I fired it up and was faced with the same dashboard I'd seen the day before while putting my One X out to pasture. Quick Resume, probably the feature I was most looking forward to, didn't work properly. PS5 by contrast felt like a proper 'new' console, with Astro Bot and Demon's and so on. Yes it was disgustingly ugly and went straight behind the TV but that was fine. I figured the PS5 would be the 'default' console for the generation to come, with the Xbox sat there for Game Pass things, the exclusives when they presumably started arriving, and for convenience when getting review code for multiplatform games etc. 

A year on and things have reversed entirely. The Xbox is the default, and the PS5 pretty much plays the traditional Nintendo role of only getting switched on for exclusives. I don't dislike the thing — apart from the dashboard anyway, which is a disaster — and don't regret the purchase at all: it's already given me some fine times, there will no doubt be more to come, and it was a business expense anyway. But I'm surprised at how much things have changed in the space of a year. 

Bought a series s. Big mistake after Xbox one X. Gone from enhanced back compatibility to Xbox one levels. My fault for not checking and also never had a sniff at buying a series X all year.

Ps5 is good. Bought for GT 7 really but exclusives over the first year beat Xbox.

Demon Souls, Sackboy, Returnal, Ratchet & Clank & Deathloop aren't bad for exclusives in one year. 

All series S games were not much better than on Xbox one X if at all. I suspect if I could have a series X I wouldn't be saying that.

Agreed with @Nate Dogg III

I'm very happy to have both of the machines I have to say. In all honesty, the sad fact I'm coming to realise is that the differences between these two machines and my PC are so slight at the minute as I relegate my PC for - shock, horror - actual work related shenanigans and indie games (most of which could run on a machine powered by a little hamster on a wheel). 

The Series X is fantastic - the sheer goodwill that Microsoft have engendered this time feels genuine and absolutely what I wanted. I'm thoroughly into replaying old games and seeing how they look on better machines (no doubt my PC gaming life has been a big influence in this!), and they haven't disappointed. Even if I only ever played Halo and Gears of War on the thing I'd have more than got my money's-worth out of it. 

Sony's machine feels decidedly different, and considering the guts of the thing are so damn similar, the fact is that stuff like Astrobot and Rachet look and feel decidedly next-gen to me. They've made my eyes open in terms of what I consider a console to be able to offer. It's great - I mean, it's a terribly ugly bastard, but there we go. 

But...but...Sony may well have always been a cold, calculating conglomerate of wankers, but fucking hell they've never been so blatant about it as they are at the moment. It's constantly feeling that we should be eternally grateful to them for everything they've done for us, and - by god - we'll charge whatever we want for our stuff and you'll still love us for milking you dry. It's pretty nasty. I don't like them much any more. I'm not sure I liked them all that much before, but at least I wasn't being charged silly amounts of money for a game, nor wondering why it is that they don't work out just what they want to do with anyone who has the audacity to think that maybe - just maybe - they should give us some sort of discount on 'upgraded' versions of games we've bought before. 

Edit: Obviously, I don't pay full price for any PS5 game. But, the farting around buying cheap US top up cards, logging on to the US account on my system and then purchasing things like that is all a bit of an arse. PLUS, I always (always!) forget that they add a little extra tax. So I always have really odd amounts left in my wallet. And that lights up all the bells of my ocd.

But there we go. I love both the machines very much though. I'm glad I've got 'em. Just one feels more warm and cuddly than the other. 

But I don't piss on either of them.

43 minutes ago, Nate Dogg III said:

Got both on their respective launch days. I was incredibly disappointed with Series X at launch. It had no new games; I fired it up and was faced with the same dashboard I'd seen the day before while putting my One X out to pasture. Quick Resume, probably the feature I was most looking forward to, didn't work properly. PS5 by contrast felt like a proper 'new' console, with Astro Bot and Demon's and so on. Yes it was disgustingly ugly and went straight behind the TV but that was fine. I figured the PS5 would be the 'default' console for the generation to come, with the Xbox sat there for Game Pass things, the exclusives when they presumably started arriving, and for convenience when getting review code for multiplatform games etc. 

A year on and things have reversed entirely. The Xbox is the default, and the PS5 pretty much plays the traditional Nintendo role of only getting switched on for exclusives. I don't dislike the thing — apart from the dashboard anyway, which is a disaster — and don't regret the purchase at all: it's already given me some fine times, there will no doubt be more to come, and it was a business expense anyway. But I'm surprised at how much things have changed in the space of a year. 

Yeah, I agree with this. I originally had a Series X preordered and was going to wait to get a PS5, but felt so underwhelmed with the launch of the X and no new games that I flipped that and got the PS5 first. It was great at first but is now very much the exclusives machine and the X is my go to. 

If I only had a PS5, I’d be pretty miffed with no game pass and £70 games. 

I got my Series X in December last year and my PS5 in February. Despite having some great times on both consoles since picking them up, I definitely could have waited until buying a PS5: owning both consoles, a gaming PC of equivalent power, an OLED Switch and a Quest 2 means I feel obliged to rotate what device I use to play games on and then get guilty if I 'neglect' a particular one for too long a period... But I'm just odd like that, I suppose.

Unfortunately, I've experienced hardware faults with the controllers of both machines: the Series X's just suddenly stopped working one day shortly after I got my PS5 (maybe the Series X could sense the rival console in my house and decided to blow up its controller as revenge for my infidelity). I had to send it back to Microsoft in Germany, but somehow it ended up getting stuck in a mail centre for seven weeks, somewhere in Europe, and MS's customer support was useless in sorting it out for me. After a month I just bought an Elite Series 2 for £150, so who's the real mug? (It is lovely, though).

Additionally, back in August the left analog stick on my PS5 controller started drifting. It didn't take Sony quite as long to replace it as MS, but it certainly wasn't quick. Again, I bought another controller in the meantime, because I'm a twat. (I had to have a controller cull the other day, in fact.) Ironically, despite owning a Switch since 2017, I've never had any drifting issues with the Joy-Cons (touch wood).

In terms of the games, as has been said, PS5 has had some great hits in Demon's Souls, Ratchet and Clank, Astro's and Returnal. No 10/10 all timers yet, but plenty to look forward to. I'm a bit cooler on Deathloop, having played it recently, and Miles Morales bored me. The value and convenience of Game Pass, on the other hand, makes it very easy to keep going back to game after game on my Series X. I rinsed Hades over the summer because that was on there, despite completing it on PC at the end of last year, while Ori and the Will O' The Wisps, Unpacking, The Walking Dead and, most recently, Forza Horizon 5 I've had a lot of fun with this year. Halo will definitely be getting played next month. Death's Door, still the best game I've played in 2021, was also an Xbox console exclusive for a time, so I was very thankful to play that.

I'd also say that both console manufacturers' remastering of older games has been very welcome and has given me the incentive to go back to some old favourites, or ones I missed the first time through.

Overall, both consoles have been fantastic. Gaming, in general, is fantastic. I love games. I just wish I had more time to play them.

Started with a Series X last year. Ended up using my PC more often even though it isn't really a 4K machine. So just use GamePass on this now and the Series X got sold.

Currently have a PS5 really like the new controller and the feedback it gives. Don't really like the look of it too much but in the end it's a box that plays games so it sits out of the way. It's quick, quiet and has lots of potential. Waiting to see what Sony do with PSVR2. At the moment feels like a turbo charged PS4 which is fine by me as I'm catching up on some PS4 content I missed.

Between the PC and PS5 have my gaming covered for a bit. Although I feel I'll probably end up gaming most of the time on the PC and picking up the exclusives now and again on the PS5. 

5 hours ago, deerokus said:

How do you work that out?

Either console costs a fraction of one of these vaunted PCs.

Someone’s riled! Haha!

I own a PC already.

I responded per my experience and that is absolutely ok so wind your neck in! 👋 😂

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

Started with a Series X last year. Ended up using my PC more often even though it isn't really a 4K machine. So just use GamePass on this now and the Series X got sold.

How come you use your PC more? What's your setup? I found that I haven't used my PC much for gaming at all since buying my X.

I like my Series S, although it hasn't been a full year of ownership. It's a great tonic to the loud and hot-running RTX card I got in the PC - dropped right into the limited space under the telly, runs practically silent and is perfectly snappy and adequate for the odd Game Pass release or when my PC is otherwise occupied.

I'll aim to pick up a PS5 when Gran Turismo shows up on shelves. By that point, hopefully there will be some additional benefits (more games that appeal to me, cheaper games, hardware revisions and/or better availability), but I don't have a crystal ball for any of that.

I’ve only just got a Series X and had the PS5 for about 6 months.

I’m happy with both. I suppose I don’t really need either of them though - and as others have said it’s the QoL stuff that makes a difference. On both consoles, faster loading makes me more likely to boot them up than PS4 etc.

The Series X is the first Xbox I’ve owned since a 360. It’s nice having an Xbox again but I kind of miss the blades UI - It’s a bit confusing to navigate at the moment.

30 minutes ago, Jamie John said:

How come you use your PC more? What's your setup? I found that I haven't used my PC much for gaming at all since buying my X.

Both were located in the manden/office. Series X is a nice piece of kit but felt like I had two PCs in the end. Need my PC around for other things although it's 3-4 years old now and the GPU older it was running things as well as the X for me. Idea of getting an X in the first place was to be cheaper than getting a GPU card for the PC but in the end decided PC was good enough to play GamePass content and my VR stuff.

Anyway... Everything sort of worked out in the end. Although I seem to be gaming on my old 360 more than anything else at the moment :D So ultimately might just end up with this and a PC if the Sony exclusives don't deliver for me. Great at the moment as you can effectively get the same back on a console after using it for a few months .....

I'm a little bit surprised with the poll results and how there are more Xbox owners than PS5. I recall a lot of posts from people who never owned an Xbox One but were going to get a Series S due to the low price + game pass, but wasn't expecting to see a full on flip from Playstation to Xbox (I'm pretty sure last gen pretty much everyone had a PS4, even if they picked up an Xbox at some point).

Got my PS5 day one, and it's a pretty bad machine:
Compared to my PS4 Pro:

The storage space is woeful, the dashboard terrible, telly service support (yeah I know) not as good as the PS4, no games really, joypad batteries that last about five minutes, fugly, etc etc... Performance, yep, great, - i'm sure they'll refactor it with a bigger SSD at some point, and make it smaller and all round better.. but by then i reckon it'll just be my Gran Turismo machine.

I just bought an Xbox Series X (which hasn't arrived yet 😠) - but I suspect that'll become my main console this generation.. Microsoft seem, from the outside, to be kicking Sony's rear all over the shop this year.

I own an S, X and PS5.

For me, the PS5 is the clear winner. Now, I really dont want it to be because hardcore Sony fans are absolute tossers, but there's no denying that, for me at least, it feels like a proper next gen console and not a slightly better way to play old games that the S and X do. The only thing that's truly awesome on the Series consoles is quick resume which feels like a totally necessary missing component when playing on my Ps5. The PS5 has had the best exclusives by far and there's still nothing on the Series that's blown me away apart from The Medium. 

However, I still play on my One X more than any of the next gen consoles. Its my favorite console of all time and, most importantly, it actually fits under my TV.  I have a cheap external HD drive fitted so I can have a huge library of games ready to go at a moments notice (vitally important to me). 

Beyond even that, the switch is my most played console at the moment, mainly down to the under-rated (and somewhat looked down upon on here) switch lite. If they release an OLED lite then my life is complete. 

I've got a Series X. I'm absolutely delighted with it and I have more games thanks to Game Pass and my ever-expanding back catalogue than I could ever realistically hope to play. Games from twenty years ago look and play better than they ever have, current gen games in 4K and Dolby Vision look incredible, and I am never ever short of things to play.

Normally by this stage I'm starting to consider getting "the other console" to supplement my initial choice but in this instance I've got absolutely no desire to get a PS5. Maybe at the end of the gen when the console and the handful of exclusives I want to play are all very cheap.