IGNORED

A year in, what do you think of the next gen consoles?

HarryBizzle

A year in, what do you think of the next gen consoles?  

320 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Got a Series X and a PS5 on top of the og Switch and a gaming PC (RTX 2070, so nothing overly fancy). Since getting the new main consoles from MS and Sony I've barely touched the PC at all. It's just so much nicer sitting comfortably in the front room with a console hooked up to the rather nifty neo qled big screen that I can't see me going back to hardcore PC gaming any time soon. The only games I still have a primary use for on the PC are VR games. 

I'm actually very fond of my three current gen consoles and I can't really choose which I prefer more than the others as they all have their pros and cons. Least played, so far, is the PS5 but that's also the one I got last. Due to Game Pass on the Xbox it's become my go to console for daily gaming and even most of my multiplayer sessions are done on the Xbox as a lot more of my mates have a Series S or X than PS5. 

As my job requires me to travel a bit my Switch is my travel mate and it has made a lot of lonely nights in random hotels a lot more enjoyable than it would've been without it. 

I'm super excited about what games will be possible on the PS5 and Xbox throughout the generation and I'm pretty sure we'll see some new classics on both platforms in the very near future. I've actually never been a happier gamer than I am now. 

I just have a Series S (and a Switch if that counts) and I couldn't be happier with it. It's a combination of Game Pass, Quick Resume, instant-on, and all those little touches that just make it absolutely perfect for me. As a result I haven't spent a penny on games since launch day a year ago, but in that time I've completed thirty new or new-to-me games and tried out dozens more.

As an added bonus for me personally, a combination of never having owned any type of Xbox previously, less than perfect eyesight, and gaming on a telly on the other side of the living room, means that I don't feel like I'm missing out by "only" having the S rather than an X. I know that all those older games would look even better if I had an X, but to me they look pretty amazing already and I'm not convinced the extra graphical resolution and shinies would be worth another £200, even if I could actually tell the difference with my specific TV/eyes/room size combo. I've done comparisons with films in 1080 and 4K on that screen and I can't tell them apart, so I'm more than happy with my pauperbox which is still by far the most powerful games machine I've ever owned.

Before actually getting the Xbox I was sure I'd also end up with a PS5 eventually, just as I have with every PS since the 2, but I was happy to wait until there's a smaller, cheaper version available. I'm looking forward to playing the next Horizon (Aloy not Alloys (DYSWIDT???)), but I've been spoiled by Game Pass. The thought of spending another few hundred quid on another console plus another £50+ on a single game just seems ludicrously expensive now. The S plus three years GP cost me £371 but as I said, I haven't had to spend a single penny more to play any of the probably-getting-on-for-a-hundred games I've played on it. I'm still open to the idea (and I really would love to play Forbidden West) but Sony will have to make me an offer I can't refuse (hopefully a nice one rather than a horse's head type situation).

I have both, and while I definitely play the Series X more, I am slightly surprised by the general agreement in the thread so far that, for multi format releases, it’s a clear cut decision that Microsoft’s console is the natural choice - I’m not so sure.

While the Series controller is very comfortable in the hand and has perfect stick resistance and travel, the Dual Sense is a cut above in every way, and actually, for multi format releases, I keep an eye out for whichever version has the better haptics implementation. RE Village, for example, is an excellent example of this - and apart from Forza Horizon 4/5, haptics on the Series X are pretty limp. I totally agree that Quick Resume is a game changer (fnarrr), but how you interact with your games is massively important. Where developers fluff it and do it badly, clearly there’s no competition - and time will tell if third party studios will get to grips with it in the way Astrobot managed - but for the moment I think its anybody’s game. 

(Obviously Game Pass is the real killer app this generation, and continues to delight and amaze after a year)

I only have a OLED Switch, which is definitely not next gen lol. I do love the screen upgrade, but it is so last gen in terms of power it hurts. I only ever really bought it for the Nintendo exclusives though.

I do not own a PS5, mainly because I cannot find one to buy for RRP. I am not paying more than RRP, so I think I will be waiting a while.

I do have a RTX3080 which I bought at launch for none rip off prices luckily, so have no need for a series X as I can play everything better on my PC and have the benefit of doing a whole lot more with it. I have it hooked it to a monitor and my main TV, so best of both worlds really.

I got a Series-S and I'm really happy with it.  I don't get a lot of chances to do big telly gaming though, so Gamepass is a bit overwhelming and I end up with a pile of games I only dip into.

I'd like a PS5 mainly for Demon Souls but Elden Ring is coming out on the S and that'll probably do the souls business.

15 hours ago, englishbob said:

For the first time today I experienced Demon's Souls around a friends house on a 4K projector. It's very impressive, the first time I've played a game in 4K. 

This, plus the loading times, means next gen to me. Next-next gen will be 120pfs maybe, no way any game can hit that consistently right now, so a pointless selling point, until maybe the PS5 Pro

Next-next gen will be actual raytracing (which the current consoles aren't anywhere near powerful enough to do) and AI-powered scaling (such as DLSS), which will enable them to show many more shinies with much less GPU/CPU overhead.

Series X owner here - I feel that I've missed out on a lot of the previous generation, as I've only just got an OLED so seeing games in 4k/60FPS is still a novelty for me.  

So 55" LG C1 + Series X really is a HUGE upgrade on my previous setup.  I couldn't be happier with it.  I know there'll be some impressive Series-exclusive titles over the coming years but as I said, right now I'm getting loads out of enhanced XB1 titles that really do feel like a level above what I was playing before.

And then there's Game Pass.  Even at a full price subscription (which I am not yet currently using - still got plenty of cheap subs left to use up) it is ridiculous value.  

I had both the XB1 and PS4 last gen, but I can't see myself getting a PS5 because I literally do not have enough time to get through my wishlist of GP games as it is.  I can't justify another huge outlay for yet another console, when I just wouldn't use it.  I can't say any of the PS5 exclusive titles have really grabbed my attention yet either.  I'm sure that will change in 2022 but right now, Series X only for me and I'm chuffed to bits with it.

1 hour ago, Popo said:

I have both, and while I definitely play the Series X more, I am slightly surprised by the general agreement in the thread so far that, for multi format releases, it’s a clear cut decision that Microsoft’s console is the natural choice - I’m not so sure.

While the Series controller is very comfortable in the hand and has perfect stick resistance and travel, the Dual Sense is a cut above in every way, and actually, for multi format releases, I keep an eye out for whichever version has the better haptics implementation. RE Village, for example, is an excellent example of this - and apart from Forza Horizon 4/5, haptics on the Series X are pretty limp. I totally agree that Quick Resume is a game changer (fnarrr), but how you interact with your games is massively important. Where developers fluff it and do it badly, clearly there’s no competition - and time will tell if third party studios will get to grips with it in the way Astrobot managed - but for the moment I think its anybody’s game. 

(Obviously Game Pass is the real killer app this generation, and continues to delight and amaze after a year)

Indeed the DualSense is a really nice piece of tech....  Astrobot and Returnal use the controller really well. It does make a difference to the playing experience and going back to the PC and Xbox One controller the games feel really flat in comparison. The rumble in the triggers feels a world away from the fidelity of the adaptive triggers and the haptic feedback of the Dual Sense.  That said however still not convinced at the £70 RRP on Sony studio games - and these are the titles that will have the best use and implementation of features available on the DualSense. However I expect they will be hugely discounted after a few months of release so I'll be happy to wait a bit until they come into a price bracket that is better on my pocket. Not as if there isn't enough to play! :D Also is £70 too much for a premium crafted game experience? Not sure. I remember carts on the N64 coming in at £50 25 years ago... so given the dev time/cost these days guess its about what they should be. Its probably things like GamePass that has made that price point look expensive. Whole other debate though and the cost/value of things personal with everyone having a price point they deem acceptable. Also I guess you can sell the disks on to recoup some costs.

Agree on GamePass... I do wonder if the "gold conversion trick" wasn't available and people hadn't loaded up for the 3 years on cheap gamepass how many people would actually subscribe at the RRP? It is insane value for money though. For me the Gold trick was the icing on the cake.

I got a Series X first, I sat out the One generation having had Xboxes since launch day of the first one. What a brilliant console the Series X is for all the reasons everyone else has been saying. I bought it through the Game Pass all access thing which almost feels like getting it for free!

I bought a PS5 as well mainly through a bit of FOMO - I had some spare money at the time and thought I would future-proof my console cupboard a bit. I have mostly been using it for catching up on last-gen games I didn’t get round to - currently Shadow of the Tomb Raider, which looks quite astonishing in places. I had a PS4 last gen but gaming time was limited after my son was born a few years ago. 

The Xbox just feels like the nicer place to be so I expect it will be my multi-format machine and then I’ll pick up any PS5 exclusives I want although £70 for a new game is seriously off-putting. 

One criticism of the Xbox though is the short video capture time - a max of 1 minute I think? The PS5 can do an hour although you might need to reduce resolution etc. I like to post the occasional clip to YouTube and I far prefer to save a clip of the whole round and edit it down rather than remembering to save a clip when something notable happens. For this reason I tend to use PS5 for playing Fortnite in particular, although the game seems to look way more vibrant on the Xbox so I would rather be playing it there. 

7 minutes ago, MattyP said:

Indeed the DualSense is a really nice piece of tech....  Astrobot and Returnal use the controller really well. It does make a difference to the playing experience and going back to the PC and Xbox One controller the games feel really flat in comparison. The rumble in the triggers feels a world away from the fidelity of the adaptive triggers and the haptic feedback of the Dual Sense.  That said however still not convinced at the £70 RRP on Sony studio games - and these are the titles that will have the best use and implementation of features available on the DualSense. However I expect they will be hugely discounted after a few months of release so I'll be happy to wait a bit until they come into a price bracket that is better on my pocket. Not as if there isn't enough to play! :D Also is £70 too much? Not sure. I remember carts on the N64 coming in at £50 25 years ago... so given the dev time/cost these days guess its about what they should be. Its probably things like GamePass that has made that price point look expensive. Whole other debate though and the cost/value of things personal with everyone having a price point they deem acceptable.

Agree on GamePass... I do wonder if the "gold conversion trick" wasn't available and people hadn't loaded up for the 3 years on cheap gamepass how many people would actually subscribe at the RRP? It is insane value for money though. For me the Gold trick was the icing on the cake.

Microsoft have made value a key factor this generation, with Game Pass, though. £70 is high, but maybe not unfair - one thing is for sure, it doesn’t look fair when you compare it to what Microsoft are doing. 

But one also has to acknowledge that this is a land grab by MS, and won’t necessarily be what their proposition will look like in 5-10 years. At which point, we might have adjusted to the idea of £70 games, and the value proposition will be really different. 

Sony’s real problem with their current value proposition is not the high initial cost, but the race to the bottom discounting that completely undercuts their starting position. No one is going to believe that Sony first party titles are worth £70 if they’re heavily discounted after 12 months, or the GotY edition, with all DLC and patches included, is £20 after 2 years. You’d just wait because you know the price will come down as sure as the sun will rise. 

Just sticking with PC for now, although that is basically Xbox Series X on steroids. Game Pass has been transformational for me, and Flight Sim and Forza Horizon 5 have been proper next gen feeling. 

Coming from a very PlayStation centric mindset last gen I probably will go for a PS5 in the next couple of years, once the exclusives back up a bit, but no need to get an Xbox

I've got both and as someone who thought the PS4 was probably the best console I've ever owned, I'm very happy with the PS5 as it continues in pretty much the same vein. I do have a huge backlog of PS4 games so barring a couple of excellent exceptions, it's really just been a nicer way to play those, which is great.

I picked up Xbox Series X a few months ago after not having an Xbox last gen and was a little underwhelmed. There wasn't much from the back catalogue I was desperate to play, although I enjoyed Forza Horizon 4 for the 20 or so hours I spent with it. I also think Gamepass is something of a blessing and a curse. Obviously on paper it's excellent value for money, but I do find myself trying a game for a short period then drifting away from it and trying something else, and so I never really end up playing anything. Apart from Forza Horizon 4 I doubt I've put more than an hour into anything. A couple of nights ago I had a whole evening on my own, with uninterrupted access to the TV and ended up scrolling through the whole list of Gamepass titles without finding anything I wanted to commit to. It's my own fault really because I had the exact same experience when I signed up for PS Now. 

First world problems and all that.

Just now, Benny said:

No stock anywhere so I just bought a new PC instead. That'll do me until the exclusives on the PS5 reach critical mass. And they are actually available.

Both because I am curious and to annoy those who get triggered by any mention of PC hardware - what specs did ya get

13 minutes ago, Benny said:

No stock anywhere so I just bought a new PC instead. That'll do me until the exclusives on the PS5 reach critical mass. And they are actually available.

The funny thing is I had the opposite - part of the reason I bought an this year XSX was the ongoing impossibility of getting a current-gen RTX card for anything close to RRP; otherwise I'd have thought to keep the money for an upgrade. With the consoles it's at least been possible to pick your moment and get one, with graphics cards it's seemed like your only option is to hold your nose and pay a gouger for the privilege.

(it might be different when looking at full pre-builds, but when I'm just interested in an upgrade/DIY option then it's a bit grim at the moment)

18 minutes ago, Uzi said:

Both because I am curious and to annoy those who get triggered by any mention of PC hardware - what specs did ya get

i5 10400, 16gb, 3060Ti, M2 SSD.

Basically a Series X equivalent for all the lovely Game Pass stuff you can get on PC these days. And it's going to make finally playing the Doom Eternal DLC with the new Ray tracing a joy hopefully.

4 minutes ago, Wiper said:

The funny thing is I had the opposite - part of the reason I bought an this year XSX was the ongoing impossibility of getting a current-gen RTX card for anything close to RRP; otherwise I'd have thought to keep the money for an upgrade. With the consoles it's at least been possible to pick your moment and get one, with graphics cards it's seemed like your only option is to hold your nose and pay a gouger for the privilege.

(it might be different when looking at full pre-builds, but when I'm just interested in an upgrade/DIY option then it's a bit grim at the moment)

I got a prebuilt as I've not had a new desktop PC in nearly a decade so trying to upgrade it would have been probably pointless. Plus it's the only way to get an RTX card these days. Also I could actually buy it unlike a Series X right now.

1 hour ago, MattyP said:

Subscribe from the start at RRP? Not that many.

Re-subscribe once they're in, and it's changed the way they play/sample games?

Most? (That's MS bet anyway, particularly if you play on PC & Xbox and would buy Gold anyway).

21 minutes ago, Benny said:

i5 10400, 16gb, 3060Ti, M2 SSD.

Basically a Series X equivalent for all the lovely Game Pass stuff you can get on PC these days. And it's going to make finally playing the Doom Eternal DLC with the new Ray tracing a joy hopefully.

Nice work - DLSS will make that 3060ti act like something much stronger than it is. You'll be able to run games at 1080p/1440p to essentially look like a much higher native res without any perceivable loss of quality

I missed both last gen consoles so I wasn’t fussed which one I got. Ended up getting a Series X because one became available first, and to be honest the All Access plan was extremely enticing so I’m glad I went with it.

Extremely impressed, considering my last console was a 360. Really nice packaging, and seamless setup. Loving quickstart, and the loading times, and of course the visuals are stunning. I can sit on my ship in AC:Odyssey all day watching the sea rolling by. My wife even walked in while I was sailing in a thunderstorm and asked what film I was watching one time . Getting Flight Sim and FH4 and 5 on All Access has been great. Looking forward to being a couple of years in when they’re really exploiting what the console can do. 

Just now, Uzi said:

Nice work - DLSS will make that 3060ti act like something much stronger than it is. You'll be able to run games at 1080p/1440p to essentially look like a much higher native res without any perceivable loss of quality

I was holding out for a 3070, but looking at benchmarks in most things including non RT games it seemed to be around 88% of the performance of that, which seemed like a good compromise to save essentially a few hundred quid. It's doing 1440p with headroom to spare in nearly everything so the important goal of having a machine that will play Elden Ring the bestest it can be is now achieved.

14 minutes ago, footle said:

Subscribe from the start at RRP? Not that many.

Re-subscribe once they're in, and it's changed the way they play/sample games?

Most? (That's MS bet anyway, particularly if you play on PC & Xbox and would buy Gold anyway).

Indeed clever tactic by MS... and exactly why they have not closed the gold conversion offer yet. I expect this will end when they have got enough people in. Quite a few people will now be bought into GamePass for multiple years now. Be interesting to know (we will never find out of course!) how many active monthly subscribers there are over people that have bought gold for multiple years and converted. 

Think either way its good value at the moment and at the price point people are used to paying for monthly subs to services. Its going to be an interesting generation for sure this one as Sony follow the old tried and trusted games model vs MS's sub model. In the end convenience and cost will win out and with that respect MS have it - hell you don't even need a console anymore to play MS's games. Sony is aiming for the more premium approach I guess. Suppose like always it will come down to the games and the value of exclusives.

I bought a Series X back in February. It’s a lovely, lovely thing. Absolutely silent, lots of games to play, although not much by way of exclusives.

Bought a PS5 about three weeks ago which I have now sold. Really disliked it. Noisy, cheaply built piece of plastic with an awful UI. I do not get the fuss over the haptic feedback. Novelty wore off after about an hour of Astrobot. Right now it’s definitely not for me.

33 minutes ago, skondo said:

Bought a PS5 about three weeks ago which I have now sold. Really disliked it. Noisy, cheaply built piece of plastic with an awful UI. I do not get the fuss over the haptic feedback. Novelty wore off after about an hour of Astrobot. Right now it’s definitely not for me.

I actually found the Xbox UI more difficult than that of the PS5. PS5 feels a bit more minimal. Is it because you were used to the Xbox one? I must admit when I first got my PS5 had to work out how to do things but now I'm used to it I like it. Nice big covers for each game - with music etc for each if its been designed for PS5. Also separates the media and games things out nicely. By comparison the Xbox interface felt a bit cluttered with things I didn't really want to see/care about (always felt this way about the Xbox One UI since it was released).

Also my PS5 is not noisy at all in operation I sit practically next it and hardly ever hear it when I'm playing - only time it makes a noise is when I have a disk in and I guess this is to be expected (my Series X used to make a noise too the odd time I put a disk in). From my experience both consoles were equally as quiet... although going from memory as I don't have both next to me to compare so perhaps I could be wrong on that.

Interesting how perceptions are different.. both consoles Series X and PS5 just felt like lumps of plastic to be fair - PS5 you can remove the sides from to clean it out and install an internal data expansion drive so guess in terms of it feeling less solid maybe that is why but personally think both are equally as well made. Sure the PS5 is a bigger lump of plastic.. :D Although I did prefer the Series X form over PS5's form factor but generally like square, black uniform boxes that I can tuck away.  

Yeah had the PS5 for a year now and it's been great. The faster loading, swish new UI, the Duelsense and back combat bonuses. Demon's Souls remains my favourite game on the system and it's probably one of the best gaming experiences I've had in the last ten years. It hasn't hit its stride yet in terms of exclusives but it's clear they're coming. No regrets jumping in early though, I skipped the PS4 Pro so it's been nice going back through some games from that era and enjoying all the pro enhancements. A lot more to come I'm sure.

Got a Series X at launch and a PS5 earlier this year. 

They are simply fantastic machines to play games on. It would have been nice to have had more games to show off the hardwares capabilities but y'know global pandemic and all that, but the machines themselves are just lovely to use and I enjoy playing games on them a hell of a lot more than I did the PS4 or Xboxone.