IGNORED

A year in, what do you think of the next gen consoles?

HarryBizzle

A year in, what do you think of the next gen consoles?  

320 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have a Series S.

I think what is most telling for me is that this is probably* the earliest in it's life cycle that I've bought a console. I normally wait for that killer game that I can't live without and then get a console, there wasn't that as the driver this time. I think the incremental nature of this generation - the S is a more powerful Bone in my head, rather than a whole new system - and Game Pass meant I could justify bringing a second Xbox into the house (the kids have taken possession of my Bone), especially at the low entry price.

The S does definitely feel like a decent step up from the Bone. It's much faster to do anything, it's near silent and the pad is amazing. So there hasn't been any buyer's remorse for me. I think it's a great machine and I'm really glad I got one. 

*I got a Dreamcast during it's lifetime, so that must have been within the first, and only, year of it's life?

Surprised to see more Xbox owners. I would have guessed the forum leaned PlayStation. I think the idea of fast loading was genius but there are not enough rays being traced for the graphics to show a generational leap. Also far too much cross gen. 

15 minutes ago, Oz said:

Surprised to see more Xbox owners. I would have guessed the forum leaned PlayStation. I think the idea of fast loading was genius but there are not enough rays being traced for the graphics to show a generational leap. Also far too much cross gen. 

Insomniac are pretty much single-handedly demonstrating that you can make beautiful, 60fps games with a good dollop of Ray Tracing, so it’s certainly something I’m hoping we’ll see more of as the generation continues. Even Remedy did a good job with Control, although it takes a hit down to 30fps. 

I played Control on the Series S, so basically the original, maybe sub 720p game at 30 fps and it’s one of my favourite games in recent years, which I think nicely demonstrates how good we’ve got it having to choose between basically 4K 60fps or 30 with RT.

40 minutes ago, Oz said:

I think Rllmuk has been steadily leaning towards Xbox this year so not a surprise to me. Everywhere else seems to be preferring Playstation way more, including real-life where it's thought they're selling 2-1 (although I'm not sure how they're working it out as these articles also say that MS aren't forthcoming with figures and they're hampered by stock shortages). 

Like quite a few people on this thread i have a high end PC with Gamepass so a Series X didn't make a lot of sense for me, but I have played around with one at a mate's house and thought it was great. I think if I had absolutely nothing and had to pick one, the Series X would be the clear winner (especially with Gamepass).

I did pick up a PS5 and I have been happy with it. As others have said while I've enjoyed the exclusives (e.g. Returnal and R+C) I only owned a hairdryer noisy OG PS4 so the opportunity to revisit (or play for the first time) stuff like Last of Us and God of War at a rock solid 60fps in total silence has been wonderful. I'm not entirely convinced on the pad and the haptics, but it is a distinguishing feature from games I play on the PC, so by and large I've tended to split FPS'es (which I play on mouse keys), multiplayer or graphic showcase games onto the PC and then leave more chill out single pad-esque games on the PS5 for sofa time. 

In some ways I think the quirks of the PS5 with the slightly off kilter OS and weird design are also attractive - it feels like switching on something a bit different with some sort of weird Playstation legacy and history ticking away under the hood. It is expensive, for sure, but it has the feel of a hobbyists car. Something that sits in the garage constantly being tweaked and maintained, like a Lotus or something. While the Series X is more like an Audi, just gets on with doing its job with minimum fuss. I guess if a Lotus was all you had to rely on to get you into work it would get old fast. 

I purchased a PS5 first, loved Astro's Playroom, enjoyed faster loading times on PS4 games, tried a few exclusives (none grabbed me). The console itself is.. okay. It's a big ugly bit of plastic and the OS is lacking a lot of polish, but it's fast and quiet. I 'upgraded' due to already owning a wheel & PS VR and hating the slow loading times on the PS4, for this it's fine but I haven't had much opportunity to use them. I rather wish I hadn't bought it, I got caught up in the launch hype.

The Xbox Series S came later, this time I got caught up in the 'Game Pass' hype. As a console, it's much more of a complete package than the PS5. Small, fast, quiet, stable, it really feels well thought out and developed. Quick Resume is brilliant and I wish it was everywhere. I've used it far more than the PS5 but few games have really sucked me in, if anything I've used it more for XBone & 360 games. Happy with the device itself and Game Pass is a fantastic offer, but it's made me question my 'compatibility' with the latest games.

I also have a Switch (since 2017) and I still don't feel I've played it enough to justify the expense. Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey are the only titles that I can say were worth owning the device for, and even then I had BotW on the Wii U.

As consoles the Series S is definitely in the top spot, but as a 'gamer'.. I wonder if I still am one. It just doesn't feel that much fun anymore.

17 hours ago, dumpster said:

I'm conflicted.  I'm sure of one thing - I definitely made the right choice buying Xbox Series X instead of PS5.  But the Xbox ownership hasn't been what I imagined it would be.  

Last week when I was on holiday they released Forza Horizon 5 and it came to Gamepass.  Then I saw that 70 new games were added to Back Compatibility, including, you've guessed it, Ridge Racer 6.  When I got home, first thing I did was fire up Forza.  It's amazing looking and there's a lot going on. But I found myself itching to play RR6 and playing both in quick succession amazed me.  Ridge Racer 6 had me actually racing against opponents within about 2 minutes of booting the disk.  Forza had a dazzling intro but seemed to be taking forever to get me to racing.  Ridge Racer is crisp, clear, looks fab and most importantly, you can see where the track goes.  Forza seems realistic but messy in comparison, with a massive array of modes and options that feels like a massive unmanageable mess. The presentation, whilst amazing, is overwhelming.

Previously I've played PSP Ridge Racers 2 via an emulator on the Xbox. It's amazing and would you believe, the PSP game looks and handles BETTER than RR6.  

I'm not Forza-bashing here, it's quite incredible as an achievement.  But I just find all the DJing, the podcasting, the character design, the massive map, the millions of customisable options... All seems to rob the game of accessibility and purity.  I can't even see where I'm going without the blue line switched on, which destroys the flawless display by making you watch the line, not the road.

So I love my Xbox Series X, it's a fantastic bit of kit.  But I'm using it to play way more 360 stuff than I thought I would.  I've spent time on Flight Sim, Forza, Resident Evil Village etc and these have impressed me. But overall the Series X has become the best way to play all my old back catalogue and I've spent way more time doing that than I expected. First, Evil Within 2, then Evil Within 1, and this week Sonic All Stars Transformed at 60fps.

This is the best thing about the Series X.

If you want it as a place to play old games the best they can possibly be, then it’s for you.

If you want it as a place to play as many indie games as you can, then it’s for you.

If you want it as the best place to play AAA games, then it’s for you.

If you want a combination or all of the above, then it’s for you.

There’s simply no downside to owning one, which is some achievement on MS’s part, after the start of the last gen. Since Phil got put in charge, they’ve been slowly clawing their way back to the glory days of the 360 and it’s all coming to fruition now.

As you can obviously tell, I’m more than happy with mine. Sony can with until they’ve got a good few games I don’t want to miss and they’ve redesigned the console.

6 minutes ago, JPL said:

If you want it as the best place to play AAA games, then it’s for you.

That’s perhaps the slight downside at the moment and it’s definitely a bit of personal opinion but I think MS are still behind PS and Nintendo in this regard. If their acquisitions pan out then I’m sure they’ll close that gap.

Real full-on ray tracing should be the objective. Now that they’ve sold their 4K TVs Sony should start to focus on getting this done. They need DLSS and ray tracing on all games. After I spend a while playing ray traced games on my 3080 going back feels jarring. Maybe except for demons’ souls which looked next gen even without ray tracing for whatever reason. 

Very happy with my ugly-ass PS5, don’t find the speeds as special as everyone else does as I had an SSD in my PS4 & Pro from day one. Dashboard is good once you adjust to the changes. Recently picked up a years PSnow for £25 which is great, the combo of that and Plus gives me more games than I would ever have time to play… and I’m stuck at home all day every day right now! It’s nice to play older games at a higher resolution and framerate, the dualsense is fucking amazing too. So comfy.

I only regularly play GTA Online though and everything else is more of a curio, I don’t really buy games - NFS MW Remastered in February was the latest which I liked and finished 100%. The last Xbox I played was a 360 and the last Nintendo a Wii. I just couldn’t give a shit and barely know anything about those consoles beyond what I hear on TCGS Podcast and don’t feel like I’m missing out. I don’t even know how people find the time/effort to play the good shit on one console yet alone multiple.

34 minutes ago, Haribokart said:

I don’t even know how people find the time/effort to play the good shit on one console yet alone multiple.

This of course is a very good point! :D 

Probably worthless to keep comparing consoles all the time too... enjoy what you have if your not enjoying it just sell it and move on. Although sometimes I think we have far too much choice to actually appreciate what we do have. We all have different reasons why we own and use different devices to play games on.

Main reason I only have one console. And will keep to that. Only so much time in the world and cutting choice down is ever more important. The PC happens to mostly play VR stuff. Its handy though to dip into GamePass from time to time though to see if there is anything worth trying out but not the main reason why I have it and not going to bother upgrading going forward - the GPUs are just to hard to get and too expensive to justify just for gaming.

As someone who would usually wait a good couple years before buying a new console, I have not done that this time out and instead bought the new machines early as an investment that is going to see me all the way through the generation. 

So, I got a PS5 day one - and love it - then followed 6 months later by a Series X and now I also own a Series S for upstairs as I traded an unused One S for it for a good value upgrade at Game. 

I'm predicting no mid-gen refresh this time out as I'm convinced it only happened because Sony wanted an updated PS4 to look good on 4K displays, and then MS saw it as an opportunity to get a better machine out and not be left behind with the lacklustre One S/Mattrick box. In hindsight, I shouldn't have bothered updating to a PS4 Pro, so don't see myself upgrading. 

I love the PS5. I absolutely love the look of the machine, especially when oriented horizontally. It looks like a weird spaceship-clam thing and I'm all for it. I seem to be in the minority on this forum, and I don't get the hate for the look of it. It's slick and weird and alien and exotic and I'm living for it. 

The new UI is fantastic, I also don't get the hate for some changes in UX navigation as I basically adapted to it quickly and it all feels great to look at and use. The new controller is maybe not quite as good as the DS4 in terms of button and D-pad feel, but the ergonomics are great, as are the Haptics and Adaptive Triggers. It's basically my main machine for games I intend to purchase fully. 

The best thing this generation is the "Back Compat +" approach to basically making your old games new again, performing and looking better than ever and it's amazing that both machines have adopted this, and we don't have a brutal BC cut off like we did with the XO/PS4. So, if there are fewer games out right now that are native PS5 or X|S I really don't care. Historically the first year of new machines are quite thin on the ground with releases and I'd say there's more out this time round than the start of the last generation. Even the pandemic hasn't slowed things down as much as in 2013 wherever publisher and developer were unsure if the console space was the future of games anymore, and were all so obviously apprehensive. 

I've been cynical towards Gamepass before, and a lot of that came from my involvement in a few games that were first party Xbox titles and seeing the direction the publisher was going, but it really feels they've pivoted further and it really is a tremendous service, that differentials itself from PS Now by feeling far more curated and giving a far more diverse selection of games the limelight, or the new hottness comes straight to Gamepass day one! It does feel a bit annoying when stuff leaves every month and you might not have had the opportunity to check it out, but it's still great. 

The Series X is the best Xbox console I've ever owned and worlds apart from the misdirection of the Xbox One. It might be a slow process watching them build back their first-party studios after decimating their portfolio all over 10 years ago, but it's getting better with some great stuff already out. 

The machine looks cool although a bit more awkward than the PS5 to fit in a media cabinet I've found, so I have to position mine behind the TV. It works beautifully and I'm loving the broad catalogue of games including all the 360/original Xbox content. You can download Otogi or Binary Domain or some other obscure gem and they look and play better than ever! 
The controller is also the best Xbox controller I've ever used with - bizarrely - the best d-pad out right now! Xbox has a better d-pad than both PlayStation and Nintendo! whaaat?!

I have the Series S in a different room upstairs, and the saving syncing between them works beautifully. It all just feels like a great service holistically. The new addition of launching games via streaming is also super, super cool. Might not be the best way to play but if there's a Gamepass game you fancy but don't know if you want to download? Just stream it to check it out then decide! It's all super awesome. 

The Switch continues to also be mind-blowing that basically "full fat" games can be played portably, and the OLED Switch is just even better. 

I'm super delighted with the machines so far, and this generation in general. It feels like the first generation since the Dreamcast*/PS2/Gamecube/Xbox where each competitor is totally vital and worthy of your time and money, and none of them have completely stumbled out of the gate at the first hurdle.

*It might have sold nothing but that's not the Dreamcast's fault! 

As someone who is fully invested in this blurred generations thing, the XSX has been bonkers. It's a marvel of engineering, so glad the Surface team got to have at it. As soon as I'm done saving up for 3 years of gold to do the $10.99 GPU upgrade deal next summer, I think I'll start saving for the XSS. The old XB1 has plenty of legs left, but the load times of the XSX have utterly spoiled me. Unquestionably the best improvement this gen. The XB1 can go to the basement with the retro collection or something.

When I'm downstairs I'm on the Series and upstairs the XB1, and things just work seamlessly switching back and forth. Granted, the occasional sync issue occurs, but this is how it should be now. No excuses. That Animal Crossing or the Pokemon titles don't let you flit between machines has basically stopped me getting a second Switch, which I think we could justify. 

I do recommend getting a large spinning rust drive for your XSX, to archive stuff you're not actively using (I fetched a WD_black 5TB in the end). Also, XB1 games still load really quickly from the external drive, quicker than on an actual XB1 I'd say. May not actually need that 1TB SSD for a while yet.

Just now, deerokus said:

Ray tracing ain't all that.

I genuinely can't tell whether they've enabled it for Forzavista in FH5 or not. I mean, that feature always looked absurdly good, even last gen. 

Very happy with my Series X. Was disappointed with the PS5, just so much about it annoyed me. Sold it to someone who wanted it. 

*Will be picking another PS5 down the line though. 

14 minutes ago, TehStu said:

I genuinely can't tell whether they've enabled it for Forzavista in FH5 or not. I mean, that feature always looked absurdly good, even last gen. 

It's there but you really  only notice it when you open the door on certain cars where you can see the bodywork reflected in other parts of the bodywork. 

1 hour ago, deerokus said:

Ray tracing ain't all that.

What games have you played? I think in control, the descent, ghostrunner, minecraft and cyberpunk the look of the games changes completely. The issue is the implementation is very limited in most ps5 games. 

28 minutes ago, deerokus said:

I haven't tried the ray traced version of ghost runner mind!

I don’t love the game itself I have to say. But the game looks awesome. 

Last gen I owned a PS4, this gen I pre-ordered a Series X both to pick up what I missed last gen, but also because of the appeal of Game Pass.

One year on and I'm very happy. Game Pass has changed what I play, allowing me to try out games that I would usually dismiss as 'probably not my thing' and not feeling obliged to play games to completion to justify the cost. I am rubbish at racing games and do not usually buy them, but enjoyed the couple of hours on Forza that I tried out to get my fill.

Also, quick resume is a feature that I would struggle to adjust to not having now - these days games without it are a massive turn-off, even with the much shorter loading times.

• 2 weeks later...

I missed out completely on the PS4/One era mainly due to arcade games and then having a gaming PC. Decided to strip back and got rid of the gaming PC as found I was always in the office messing about with it rather than with the family, so...

I own a Switch and initially picked up a PS5 and promptly sold it about 2 months after. 

Picked up an S and loved it. Upgraded to a Series X and just got the Halo console from MS last week. Also picked up a PS5 (again) from Very at a similar time. 

I now use my Series X as my go to console for day to day play, mainly as anything multi platform is usually infinitely cheaper on Xbox. I must confess to preferring the exclusives on PS5; I platinumed Miles Morales and will do the same with Rift Apart. I'm also enjoying the PS4 exclusives I never played. Series X is great for the back catalogue of 360 titles I owned digitally and Game Pass is insane value.

Luckily I don't have to choose as there are pros and cons to both. I find the Series UI's cluttered compared to the PS5. I also find Quick Resume hit and miss especially with RDR2. Also the PS5 controller is infinitely better.

I think the Series X has a better design and a better overall library of games and Game Pass is a game changer (pardon the pun). I also think it's quieter and the back compat aspect is excellent. I also think having Dolby Vision and support Atmos is a smart move....just add it to the UHD Blu-ray movie side of things!

Owning and using both I don't think there is a clear winner. I probably use my PS5 less, but when I do play it I tend to get far more involved with the games I do play. Arguably though this is because I find Game Pass encourages a less focused experience in terms of finishing or playing just one game. 

What is interesting is as a huge Nintendo fan boy I've all but given up on the Switch and just gone back to Super Famicom. The lack of 4K on the Switch was never a bother until I owned an OLED and the two newest consoles, now comparatively the Switch looks awful. It also lacks a feature set compared to the other two and running an Atmos home theatre system, the Switch also brings nothing sonically to the mix. As such, my once much-loved loved Switch just sits gathering dust until the other half wants to play New Horizons. I also think other than a handful of titles (and again, I am - in my heart - a die hard Nintendo fan) the Switch has little of interest when compared to the two newbies. I'm hoping Nintendo's next console will win me back.