IGNORED

Mass Effect - Amazon in talks with EA

Thor

2 hours ago, Gambit said:

I hope they do my boy Garrus well.

Has to be Brandon Keener. You can replace all the other cast and I wouldn't care too much. But replacing Brandon Keener as Garrus would be like replacing Peter Cullen as Optimus Prime. 

His comments seem to assume that they’ll be directly adapting the game and making blank slate Shepherd the main character, which seems like a bad idea for the reasons he lays out, and an unlikely course of action by the show runners for those same reasons. 

But I think he’s onto something with the suggestion that Mass Effect partly works because it’s a game. Like, everything in the game is a huge cliche. The setting, plot, backstory and characters are all standard issue in science fiction; it’s pretty much a nineties TV series with a much higher budget. The appeal is that you, the player, get to participate in all of it. You would lose that immediately if you adapted it to a TV series - at that point, you’re mostly left with the cliches. 

Yeah, I don't think taking the game out of Mass Effect leaves much that's worth making into a TV series. Well, not a great TV series.

I think it'd work better as a game show, which would add all that player agency back. Destroy, Control, Synthesis. You have two teams of players each with a captain, and in the early stages the team captains can rack up points by doing everyday stuff like acquiring advertising contracts with rival businesses, punching female journalists, and making sexually suggestive comments to their fellow team members. The rest of the team members stand idly by while all this goes on, fiddling with consoles and being ogled. Then they spring into action in the middle phase, when the captains have to choose which of them to put in charge of potentially life-threatening tasks. Like rewiring an electricity pylon in the rain. Choose the wrong one for the wrong job - like, you have a qualified pylon electrician with full protective gear on your team, and like a lot of people seem to do you instead choose the one with vertigo, an acute case of flu and no use of their limbs - and it may be curtains for them. Thus leaving you with a depleted team for the final round, so choose wisely. 

In the final round, you have the stock of points you've amassed, and the combined strengths of your remaining team, to play with. It's now time for the Consequences section of Destroy, Control, Synthesis. In this round, both the points you've accrued and the abilities and input of your remaining team members are completely disregarded. In fact, you never see them again. Instead, you are simply asked to walk through one of three doors named after the words in the game show's title. Whichever one you choose, you win a refurbished Mini Metro from 1990. But it's a different colour depending on which door you walked through. Only there's a twist. If you chose Destroy, the car you just won is crushed by a pile hammer immediately after you are handed the keys. If Control, you get to drive away in it. If Synthesis, the car and you are placed in separate Brundelfly teleportation devices, and these fail to turn you into ShepMetroHybrid because it's a low-budget TV show, not actual science. So you get the car anyway. This neatly mirrors the ending of the game itself, because the only winning play is to choose Destroy, and everyone else is a massive loser driving around in a shit car that a dog wouldn't piss on.

Sounds crap, you say? Still be better than the planned TV series.

22 hours ago, Alex W. said:

Nope. He worked on Dragon Age, not Mass Effect. He also said this:

Both ME's and DA's plots were, at best, serviceable.

For DA he's right, the best story in Inquisition came after he left the DA dev team, in the form of the Trespasser DLC. I disagree regarding ME. ME's main plot is definitely more than serviceable. In fact to me he comes off as a bit jealous that Mass Effect has more of a cult following than Dragon Age. However, he does go on to say:

BUT consider this from the perspective of those making the TV show. They are not making it solely for the fans, those who already know the entire story and would be fine with moving onto something else. The far larger audience are those who know nothing about ME or DA at all.

And that's the key thing. The fans of videogames aren't really the target audience for most TV shows. That said, Mass Effect does have quite the following. But like I said before, so long as they keep Brandon Keener* for Garrus then I'll be happy.

*They won't, it'll probably be a more recognisable actor like Jensen Ackles or something.

I'm really not looking forward to the discourse around who ends up playing Shepard....

Femshep players will be up in arms if they are male, Gamergater types will be pissed if he's anything but straight and white. I would not like to be in the casting directors shoes.

To be honest, I think the best thing they could do, if they avoid the game's main plotline, is produce a prequel series based on The First Contact war. That makes the Turians the "baddies".