IGNORED

Steam Secret Santa 2021

JPR

22 hours ago, spanx said:

Oh go on, never done this before. Not sure I even have anything in my wish list. 

Best get on it, and have a mixture of cheap and expensive games. You know never know who's buying for you and what they can afford. :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/11/2021 at 20:53, JPR said:
  • On December 18th I'll send a PM saying who you're buying for.

:quote:

The important thing to do is make sure your wishlist is up to date! Obviously December 22nd is the proper deadline for that, once the sale has started, but it can help your santa plan ahead if it's ready from the 18th.

You've probably got them set to different sort modes. There should be a drop down at the top of the list (just between username/search and the list proper) which determines whether the list is sorted by date, alphabet or "rank"; you want it set to rank, e.g. here in the app, just to the right of the Options menu:

Screenshot_20211217-121055_Steam_copy_1080x1225.thumb.jpg.2e2861865c3514c58552f9e040fa5ad0.jpg

This goes for viewing your own list and for viewing other people's!

Some don't, some do — I keep mine ordered as I have 125 games in mine, and I find it helpful when buying for people with deep lists to have some idea of what they most want. I'll always go with my gut, but if I find myself umming and ahhing over a couple of games it can be helpful to know that one is ranked 2, and one is ranked 80 in a list :D

(and to be clear, as with every year for whomever gets me — I'm happy with games at any level in the list, the ranking is meant as an aid, not a ruleset! If you really think I should play e.g. The Fermi Paradox (number 120 in the list) then I'll be delighted to receive it :) )

1 hour ago, Gabe said:

Do people use the rank ordering? I never do (and I find it resets anyway). Plus, I don't really have a rank - and the surprise is more fun. 

I think in the past I’ve selected a bit from their most recent list additions and a bit from their most wanted, just to be safe. Although sometimes the most wanted ones are the most recent additions…

Ah, that sounds like a fun activity to carry out from scratch :lol:

You can absolutely leave them all unranked (or maybe pick out a subset as highlights to rank, and leave the rest unranked), there's nothing wrong with leaving your Santa to pick entirely whimsically. Just be aware that you may end up with someone of my exquisite tastes as your Santa ;)

1 hour ago, Wiper said:

Ah, that sounds like a fun activity to carry out from scratch :lol:

You can absolutely leave them all unranked (or maybe pick out a subset as highlights to rank, and leave the rest unranked), there's nothing wrong with leaving your Santa to pick entirely whimsically. Just be aware that you may end up with someone of my exquisite tastes as your Santa ;)

Yeah, I never rank games or have 'best lists' and stuff, so I can safely say my wishlist is my wishlist - and if my Santa is reading, there is absolutely no order to it, so pick away :D

3 hours ago, Wiper said:

You've probably got them set to different sort modes. There should be a drop down at the top of the list (just between username/search and the list proper) which determines whether the list is sorted by date, alphabet or "rank"; you want it set to rank, e.g. here in the app, just to the right of the Options menu:

Wonderful! Cheers man.

Mine has quite a nice list - hopefully the discounts give me some options.

It sometimes helps to note down some rough plans before the sale goes live; I think in the past the increased traffic results in some weirdness like games lists not loading correctly?

Set mine to public, thanks for reminding me @JPR!

Whomever has the misfortune of getting me, please feel free to completely ignore my wish list if needed but let's see what discounts the sale brings. No particular order to it at all tbh. And anything is brilliant.

Now, on to my lucky so and so. :) 

I think a decent wishlist size has around 20-30 games, with a good mix of genres and price points to choose from and give some variety on Christmas Day. I appreciate not everybody has that many games that they want, but for the purposes of this Secret Santa, that's the ideal scenario I like to see on my victim's wishlist.

1 hour ago, bradigor said:

So 150 is too much even though it is trimmed? :Lol: 

Ha, the more the merrier I say, but I think 20-30 is a good number for a Santa to look through without just scatter-gun approaching it. I think it's better for the recipient too if they've had to really think about what they actually would want to play - which is exactly what I did when pruning mine down from 150+.

Don't add stuff just for the sake of it just because of me! I'm just putting out there what I find helpful (from both a buying and receiving perspective) but I'm not any kind of authority on it - if you only want 9 games, you only want 9 games, that's fine. The only thing I would say is the other part of what I said, about price-points. I'm sure we all want this to remain as inclusive as possible, so if you only have 9 £30+ titles on there then sure, I would add some cheaper options for people so they don't feel they have to stretch themselves.