IGNORED

Steam Secret Santa 2021

JPR

Holy crap Santa! Genuinely lost for words here, what a bulging sack of wonderful gifts! I got:

Wildermyth - been looking at this for a while and it was well-received here and I do love me an RPG

Warhammer 40K - Mechanicus - I also love tactics games and whilst I know nothing of the lore of Warhammer, I do know this is meant to be a really good SRPG

Troubleshooter - Ditto the above, but a Japanese approach. Heard nothing but good things!

Labyrinth City: Pierre the Maze Detective - I'm not sure how to describe this, other than the artstyle looks amazing.

Four wishlist items that I am so, so grateful to receive - what a great start to Christmas day! Thank you so much Santa and @JPRas always for organising.

Merry Christmas all!

Thank you so much Santa!

I received:

Rez Infinite: not played through Rez since the 360 version about 10 years ago, really looking forward to cranking the volume up and giving this version a few hours after a few Christmas stouts! Also might tip me into finally ordering a VR headset...

Outer Wilds: had this on my wishlist for ages, really cant wait to play it. As someone with the correct opinion (Majoras Mask is the best Zelda), everything I have heard about this suggests to me it will be right up my street.

Thanks Santa!

Mixolumia, lair of the clockwork god, deaths door and hacknet labyrinths

Looking forward to each of them, no idea what mixolumia is so that'll be interesting 😁

As always many thanks to @JPR for sorting and Merry Christmas to you all xxx

Shovel Knight

Infra

Road Not Taken

Cosmochoria

Lovers in a Dangerous Space Time

Grandia II

Westerado: Double Barrelled

I'll be honest, I don't remember putting half that stuff on my wishlist, but thank you very much! I look forward to playing them all at some point.

It's interesting to see how varied everyone's choices are. Not many people getting the same thing 

Got some awesome games, including.

Alba (had my eye on this since launch)

What Remains Of Edith Finch (a pleasant surprise I don't think was on my list)
Judgement Silversword (can't afford the Wonderswan original)

Demon's Tilt (brilliant take on pinball)

Many thanks Secret Santa :)

I had a quick look at Delver yesterday and it's just lovely. Getting lost in a big subterranean procedural dungeon is exactly what I need when there's nothing but festive chaos and a murder virus outside. I'll be checking FTL next. :) 

I'm still feeling stupidly spoilt by what I got, but at the same time a little frustrated that I can't play anything until I'm back home tomorrow (and it will definitely be Labyrinth City: Pierre the Maze Detective first up). But to echo JPR, I do love the post-reveal part of this (and say it every year :D)

I just want to say that my sore throat turned out to in fact be Covid (very glad I isolated even with the initial negative test, housemate and family — who've returned home — showing no symptoms thus far), and having spent most of yesterday in a screen and thought-averse haze, the gift of Glass Masquerade helped keep me sane; perfect for short bursts of gentle puzzling, I was able to put together two hours of play while sat in bed over the course of the day without overtaxing myself. So, thank you again, mystery Santa, for going off-piste and picking some games that weren't on my list! 

1 hour ago, Illyria said:

I spent half the day yesterday taking back Europe from Nod, it was perfect. Man I missed that soundtrack!! :D really looking forward to kicking some GDI ass soon as well, though.

Ah, I love the C&C remaster, it's just wonderfully observed, managing to look and sound exactly as you remember the games looking and sounding, despite everything being completely redone. The opposite of so many uncaring rereleases of games that just upres and retexture things without thinking about the aesthetic intentions of the origjnal.

It helps that the originals are still great to play, too, of course!

"From God, to Kane, to Seth"

On 25/12/2021 at 06:19, Gabe said:

Holy crap Santa! Genuinely lost for words here, what a bulging sack of wonderful gifts! I got:

Wildermyth - been looking at this for a while and it was well-received here and I do love me an RPG

Warhammer 40K - Mechanicus - I also love tactics games and whilst I know nothing of the lore of Warhammer, I do know this is meant to be a really good SRPG

Troubleshooter - Ditto the above, but a Japanese approach. Heard nothing but good things!

Labyrinth City: Pierre the Maze Detective - I'm not sure how to describe this, other than the artstyle looks amazing.

Four wishlist items that I am so, so grateful to receive - what a great start to Christmas day! Thank you so much Santa and @JPRas always for organising.

Merry Christmas all!

Now I'm home, I've played a bit of Wildermyth and Labyrinth City and they are both lovely - though Wildermyth isn't too helpful on telling you what everything means!

Thanks again Santa!

So I am about 7 hours into Monolith now and am still very much at the stage where I don't want to play any other games ever.

Basically, Monolith is reminiscent of Enter the Gungeon, only everything is really low-res, and there is a significant amount of Real Shmups in this game's blood. I played a bunch of Gungeon and ultimately fell out with it due to one too many things that I found Really Annoying - so many of the guns were terrible, you were very unlikely to get anything particualrly powerful and it felt like the enemies often just fired a clump of random shit at you and sometimes you just couldn't avoid it. The plus sides were that there is an absolute ton of variety and crazy stuff in the game but I felt like I saw it so often that the grind through infinite crap weapons really wasn't worth it.

Monolith is a bit more straightforward - you navigate a sequence of single-screen rooms, there are five floors and you usually get one shop, one weapon upgrade and one ship upgrade per floor. There's some events that are less frequent (I had one that gave me 400% ammo for my current weapon but cut the ammo capacity of all future weapons in half, for instance) but you can always count on that stuff as a bare minimum. The weapon upgrades are all powerful, though some of them are definitely situational - even so it's extremely rare that you are left out in the cold due to poor weapon choice, they start off pretty good and it just goes up from there.

But, the biggest change for me is the bullet patterns. The regular enemies often fire directly at you, but the larger enemies, minibosses and bosses have Actual Bullet Patterns which you can learn and navigate with a little practice. Even the patterns of the final boss have lanes and areas that you should be aiming for, and if you don't get in to them it's becuase you've not recognised what to do quickly enough, rather than you getting caught out by an unfortunate bullet clump.

I've managed a basic clear of the first five floors, but 

Spoiler

after that you are awarded a rune, with three others to collect; a second basic clear after this unlocks a sixth floor, and I've made it all the way to what is likely the final phase of the final boss with a good run

so still a little more work to do yet. Thanks Santa! You smashed it with this one.

So having put a few hours into Obra Din I stuck on Horizon Zero Dawn "for a few minutes" to see what it was like. Another few hours later I finally put it down. This is great! So glad a load of these playstation games are hitting PC now as I missed out on a load of fantastic games. Great mix of action, stealth, resource/crafting and skills, ive clocked up 9 hours but spent most of that ignoring the main quest line and just exploring and finding new things! Back to robodino hunting...

Thanks again Secret Santa for your kind gift of the Outer Wilds.

I am about six or seven hours in now and I think it is my game of forever.

Just an absolute masterpiece in environmental storytelling.

Takes the ball Half Life 2 created all those years ago and runs with it for miles.