IGNORED

Football kits 2022/23

Smoothy

• 4 months later...
8 hours ago, Smoothy said:

Ha!

Very pleased for Brentford! Fantastic attitude, decent football, and genius with Erikson.

Much better that shithouse Burnley finally stop sinking up the league.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

image.jpeg.be0bb0e4c5c221281633e8a36ab023c9.jpeg

One day ahead of its expected release on May 5, Nike accidentally put the Liverpool 22-23 home kit on sale on their official website.

Will be officially announced at 8am.

What a bold choice. The design team must have been working day and night.

I like the promo video, shot in the kind of lighting that’s ideal for obscuring a red shirt.

It’s pretty plain, although in design terms I guess it’s ‘clean’. If the rumoured fairly sensible away shirt appears, hoping that means complete insanity for the third kit. Third kits shouldn’t really exist but if they must, make them ludicrous.

I would've preferred they just kept this seasons kit for another year, especially in these cost-crisis times, and even more so given that it's not even much different.

I know a few clubs are keeping the same kit and I don't honestly expect many clubs to do similarly, but it would've been a nice gesture for fans. I imagine their kit supplier contracts deem a change every year though. 

Liverpool/Nike know they will sell a couple of million shirts a year regardless of the economic climate.  If you want to give Mo Salah £400k a week then these are the sort of deals which need to happen.   Everybody changes their shirt every season though, Villa (my lot) were doing it when most other clubs were keeping a home shirt for two seasons, the last time we didn't change our home shirt was 1996/97. 

£75 for a replica shirt or £115 for the ‘proper’ one, is that right? I’m sure they’ll sell bucketloads but that still seems very pricey to me. 

30 minutes ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

The “proper” shirt looks remarkably better than the “fan” one but aren’t they super super tight fitting?

I've got the "proper" Villa away shirt from last season, the black one which they were knocking out for £15 in a sale at the start of this season.   It's made by Kappa who like to make their shirts small anyway and its an XXXL. I'm basically a large who can fit into a medium if I want to feel self conscious, and the XXXL probably feels like it should be that.  It's definitely designed to be skin tight.    The main thing I take from it is just how ridiculously light the thing is, I shit you not it's probably less than half the weight of a normal replica shirt which in itself is hardly a heavy garment.  Fuck knows what they make it from but it's definitely some space age material. Probably not worth the premium but I'll keep my eye on the sales again next year.  

Oh, and I guess I should plug the youtube channel of a guy I'm internet friends with: 

Rob (bald) is a Villa fan who designed the shirt Italy won the 2006 World Cup in.  

image.thumb.png.d212e79f8ad511240e1099ba6d531d7b.png

Their training kit from that competition was as close to claret and blue as he dare get. 

I got an authentic/player version of an old Scotland shirt for under £20 a few years ago, it's all I can play in now. As Naysonymous mentions whatever magic they use to make them so light and stretchy is really noticeable, although I could never justify the full price of one.

Home is decent, really like the away and the third is a bit nothing but might actually look alright on. Play all your games in the away kit!

Castore’s kits generally aren’t too shabby so far. Certainly look like they’d pair up nicely with jeans and a pair of clean Trabs, which is all fans really need, innit.

Love our castore kits this season, and those Villa ones look nice and clean, just like the Wolves and Rangers shirts.

Newcastle's away from them this season is one of the best of the year in my opinion.

Away is lovely. Third is OK but the home is more West Ham than Villa. I may buy that Villa home and take the badges and swap them for West Ham ones if our home kit is anything like what it is rumoured to be :(

Home seems like a classic Villa look to me.  It's a bit conservative, but lots of the support get a bit pissy if it's not  just a claret body with blue sleeves.  I say every year we are overdue a "weird" home kit with stripes or something, we had one in the 80s, 90's and early 2000's but nothing since.   I prefer yellow or white for the away, sky blue there does remind me of West Ham,   Third kits are supposed to be a bit more out there and I'm kinda into this one. 

Just now, Naysonymous said:

Home seems like a classic Villa look to me.  It's a bit conservative, but lots of the support get a bit pissy if it's not  just a claret body with blue sleeves.  I say every year we are overdue a "weird" home kit with stripes or something, we had one in the 80s, 90's and early 2000's but nothing since.   I prefer yellow or white for the away, sky blue there does remind me of West Ham,   Third kits are supposed to be a bit more out there and I'm kinda into this one. 

You obviously know more than me being a Villain, but I always associate Villa home kits as being a bit more 'experimental' full bodied claret kits with blue/white detailing. West Ham get the traditional body/sleeves combo.

I agree with you about the third. Apparently ours is white/orange for 22/23 so that will be interesting.

Nah.  Villa very rarely (if ever) have white on the shirts, almost always white shorts (I prefer it when we have claret or blue shorts) and the socks are usually claret and blue with blue being the dominant colour.   

One of the hallmarks of a Villa design I guess is blue detailing around the neck line, for years the club had a blue ring around the top and while that's gone away a little bit (last time was 92/93) the neck has been blue whether it's a crew neck or a v neck.    Last time we didn't have blue sleeves was 2018/19 which was a shirt that appears to be universally loved by fans. 

image.thumb.png.e4ddd766ec1e96d23c4673306046cf87.png