IGNORED

What is this film thread?

neoELITE

EDIT

General thread for asking what is this film I can't remember.

Another "what's the film" thread. 

It was probably 80s.

The main protagonist was an American teen/young adult.

He ends up in an olde worlde English village. 

The locals seem friendly but then attack him and he has to fight them.

I think he was good at karate/Kung Fu.

On 28/11/2021 at 06:06, Goose said:

It almost, but sure it isn't, sounds like Gymkata.

That's it! 

It has a villagers section but not an English village. Just checked Wikipedia.

Fighting many obstacles, including a crooked, sadistic participant named Thorg, Cabot is the only player left in the game and is about to be killed by crazed villagers when he is saved by a Parmistan warrior who turns out to be Cabot's father Colonel Cabot. 

OK, I have one, with not very much to go on.

It's an anime movie, either 80s or very early 90s. The bad guys are angels with blank faces, and towards the end one of the main characters sacrifice themselves by jumping on some kind of sphere the angels are protecting where it draws him in with tentacles or streams of energy.

13 minutes ago, Mikes said:

OK, I have one, with not very much to go on.

It's an anime movie, either 80s or very early 90s. The bad guys are angels with blank faces, and towards the end one of the main characters sacrifice themselves by jumping on some kind of sphere the angels are protecting where it draws him in with tentacles or streams of energy.

It's not this is it? The BBC had a dub back in the day with the voice of Mr Benn

Holy shit, that's it!  Awesome, thank you! I'd given up ever finding out what it was. I've asked so many times on reddit and twitter and got nothing. Should have asked you knowledgeable folk first, obviously.

Thank you so much.

And on YouTube too:

No problem took me over two decades to find it, and then I happened on it by chance via the French DVD on a trip to France. 

It's really damn deep and was even more impressive giving it a watch as an Adult even with fond childhood memories of just the animated alone. 

33 minutes ago, Arn X Treme said:

It's really damn deep and was even more impressive giving it a watch as an Adult even with fond childhood memories of just the animated alone. 

I can't really remember much of it (as my description above shows) but it did leave 5/6 year old me with emotions I don't think I'd felt before. I think it was the first film I saw that affected me weeks after watching it. Gonna give this the time it deserves this weekend.

8 hours ago, Delargey said:

I've got one - it's a movie set in the 1930s/40s (maybe) it is about a love triangle between some bohemian types. A woman and two men - the woman is an artist with black hair and paints one of the guys.

Truffaut’s Jules et Jim:

Although Jeanne Moreau doesn’t have black hair, and from memory she draws either Jim or Jules on a table…

I posted this a few years ago with no luck and it still haunts me occasionally so here's another try:

Firstly I think I first saw it on BBC1 in their 10/11pm onwards 'made for TV film' slot in the late 90s, so I think it was released in the very late 80s to late 90s.

The main character is a girl of around 10 who has an overactive imagination, and lives in a large house in a typical Northwestern USA setting, lots of trees, rivers, small town etc.

Her older brother/cousin/uncle comes to visit, he's mid to late 20s and played by someone like MIke Myers or John Cusack, but I've checked their filmography and nothing fits. It's kind of a comedy/thriller. The young girl believes murders are happening in her town (maybe her new stepfather is committing them) and only her brother/cousin/uncle believes her and investigates.

On 09/12/2021 at 00:53, RaoulSilva said:

I posted this a few years ago with no luck and it still haunts me occasionally so here's another try:

Firstly I think I first saw it on BBC1 in their 10/11pm onwards 'made for TV film' slot in the late 90s, so I think it was released in the very late 80s to late 90s.

The main character is a girl of around 10 who has an overactive imagination, and lives in a large house in a typical Northwestern USA setting, lots of trees, rivers, small town etc.

Her older brother/cousin/uncle comes to visit, he's mid to late 20s and played by someone like MIke Myers or John Cusack, but I've checked their filmography and nothing fits. It's kind of a comedy/thriller. The young girl believes murders are happening in her town (maybe her new stepfather is committing them) and only her brother/cousin/uncle believes her and investigates.

Sorry, I’ve no idea what this is, but I’m sure I’ve seen it 

It might be a TV show but I very vaguely remember a bit of a film where some astronauts land on Mars (I think).  They come across some houses, with white picket fences, one of which is the astronaut's mum's house.  He eats a slice of pie.

That's all I remember. I might have misremembered most of it. It had this eerie feel that's bugged me for at least 30yrs.

1 hour ago, monkeydog said:

It might be a TV show but I very vaguely remember a bit of a film where some astronauts land on Mars (I think).  They come across some houses, with white picket fences, one of which is the astronaut's mum's house.  He eats a slice of pie.

That's all I remember. I might have misremembered most of it. It had this eerie feel that's bugged me for at least 30yrs.

Have you been playing Returnal?

1 hour ago, monkeydog said:

This is from The Martian Chronicles mini series, which is adapted from Ray Bradbury’s book The Martian Chronicles, specifically the chapter April 2000: The Third Expedition.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Martian_Chronicles_(miniseries)

I have a vague memory of a film (At least I think it was film and not tv) probably late 80's or early 90's and it was a kind of Space Western.  Think it was pretty much ripping off High Noon.  The lead character was a Sheriff or Marshall, and there was some fixation with the Spurs on his boots which i think were silver stars.

Anybody any ideas?  I tried searching Space Western films, but nothing looks familiar.

17 minutes ago, Waggo said:

I have a vague memory of a film (At least I think it was film and not tv) probably late 80's or early 90's and it was a kind of Space Western.  Think it was pretty much ripping off High Noon.  The lead character was a Sheriff or Marshall, and there was some fixation with the Spurs on his boots which i think were silver stars.

Anybody any ideas?  I tried searching Space Western films, but nothing looks familiar.

Sounds like Outland which is basically High Noon in space and stars Sean Connery.