IGNORED

What is this film thread?

neoELITE

58 minutes ago, ZOK said:

I can’t find the full episode but there’s a bit of it in here:

Brilliant! Thanks so much.  I've not actually read The Martian Chronicles, but from the snippets I remember, it being based on a Bradbury story somehow make perfect sense.

14 minutes ago, JamesC said:

Sounds like Outland which is basically High Noon in space and stars Sean Connery. 

No it’s not that.  I checked that one out when I put in the search parameter ‘High Noon In Space’.

This was much more traditional Western setting probably filmed in Wyoming or somewhere similar, but doubling up as an Alien planet.  They had laser guns and space horses, but other than that it was as Western as you can get.

10 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

Brilliant! Thanks so much.  I've not actually read The Martian Chronicles, but the snippets I remember being based on a Bradbury story somehow make perfect sense.

Man, give it a read if you can as it’s a work of astounding beauty and pathos. From memory the miniseries was quite faithful, which is cool as it’s a very odd little book in many ways, typically Bradbury.

Also, if you’ve not read The Illustrated Man stick that on your list, it’s is even better.

9 hours ago, Waggo said:

No it’s not that.  I checked that one out when I put in the search parameter ‘High Noon In Space’.

This was much more traditional Western setting probably filmed in Wyoming or somewhere similar, but doubling up as an Alien planet.  They had laser guns and space horses, but other than that it was as Western as you can get.

Could it have been an episode of the original Battlestar Galactica? There's an episode in the first series that's a space western and the baddie has a reprogrammed Cylon who takes the place of the typical black-hat gunslinger. 

Great episode. 

https://youtu.be/lEKicFOV0EM

Edit: it has space horses too. 

11 hours ago, ZOK said:

This is from The Martian Chronicles mini series, which is adapted from Ray Bradbury’s book The Martian Chronicles, specifically the chapter April 2000: The Third Expedition.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Martian_Chronicles_(miniseries)

I was about to say this sounds like the Martian Chronicles, didn't realise they'd filmed it.

4 minutes ago, Danster said:

I was about to say this sounds like the Martian Chronicles, didn't realise they'd filmed it.

I guess a 1980 three episode mini series doesn't really find it's place in reruns.  I found it on the Internet Archive.  :omg:

https://archive.org/details/The_Martian_Chronicles/The.Martian.Chronicles.Part1-The.Expeditions.avi

Just need to find time to watch it and see how swiss cheese my childhood memories actually are.

As I said, it’s quite faithful to the stories it adapts (which isn’t all of them), but has the job of trying to capture an impossible essence, so it’s often quite a slow watch, plus hugely dated visually anyway. It’s more of a curio than classic telly.

2 hours ago, JamesC said:

Could it have been an episode of the original Battlestar Galactica? There's an episode in the first series that's a space western and the baddie has a reprogrammed Cylon who takes the place of the typical black-hat gunslinger. 

Great episode. 

https://youtu.be/lEKicFOV0EM

Edit: it has space horses too. 

Great suggestion but definitely not that.  I was/am a massive BSG fan (Both original and reboot), and fondly remember that episode.  

Might be time for a rewatch of the original series though as it’s been a while. I did a full reboot rewatch over lockdown last year.

No this film I am trying to remember was in all likelihood low budget made for tv effort or the like.  I watched it with my dad when he was still alive, so definitely prior to 96 and I reckon a fair bit before then so mid to late 80’s.  

It is probably a load of tosh, but I have a fond memory of watching it and having never seen or heard anything about it since then and would love to check it out.

There was a definite fixation with the Marshalls boots and the silver star spurs he had on them, that is the most overriding memory I have of the film.

17 minutes ago, Waggo said:

Great suggestion but definitely not that.  I was/am a massive BSG fan (Both original and reboot), and fondly remember that episode.  

Might be time for a rewatch of the original series though as it’s been a while. I did a full reboot rewatch over lockdown last year.

No this film I am trying to remember was in all likelihood low budget made for tv effort or the like.  I watched it with my dad when he was still alive, so definitely prior to 96 and I reckon a fair bit before then so mid to late 80’s.  

It is probably a load of tosh, but I have a fond memory of watching it and having never seen or heard anything about it since then and would love to check it out.

There was a definite fixation with the Marshalls boots and the silver star spurs he had on them, that is the most overriding memory I have of the film.

The only other thing I can think of is Battle Beyond the Stars but I'm not very confident in that suggestion. 

10 hours ago, Waggo said:

This sounds really familiar and was about to suggest Battle Beyond the Stars as well, but there's not much of that which looks like a Western...