IGNORED

The best game for each sport

Jackson

Edit: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1J3QMJb0OKcOUt95ZHCp-XKa7WjJayihhfK6IekoW6f4/edit?usp=sharing

Here is a spreadsheet with everyone's suggestions. Feel to view / sort / add.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I love sports games, they're the best genre for couch multiplayer. I like to make sure I have most of the sports covered and thought this could be a useful thread to share our favourites...

Football - Winning eleven 6 final evolution (GameCube)

It's so responsive compared to the modern ones and has gorgeous crisp graphics.

Other favourite: PES2013 (Xbox 360, PS3)

Golf - Neo Turf Masters (arcade, available on all modern consoles)

The perfect simple, yet highly skill based, golf experience. Lovely cartoony, expressive graphics. Brilliant in two player.

Olympics - Athlete kings (Sega Saturn)

Brilliant gameplay that doesn't involve just button mashing. Jeff Janson. Sadly only 2 player but virtua athlete 2k on DC is basically the same and 4 player

Other favourite: international track and field (PS1)

Tennis - Anna kournikova's smash court tennis (PS1)

Really simple, nice cartoony graphics, excellent in 4 player.

Other favourite: virtua tennis 2 (DC)

Might think of more later, there's so many sports!

golf has to be Everybody's Golf, which version is the question. I think PS3 is probably my favourite, but they are all brilliant.

I still love Super Tennis on the SNES which is pretty much perfect. obviously the japanese version for the swears.

Smash Tennis on the SNES is also great with the multitap for four players, I presume anna kournikova is a sequel

7 hours ago, Fuddle said:

I still love Super Tennis on the SNES which is pretty much perfect.

It is. Remember back when the SNES launched? Everyone and their dads were on it. It used to appear on TV quite a lot as well. Me and my friends played it from 1992 up until we all went our separate ways well after leaving school (1998-ish).

No one really talks about it much now.

Ice Hockey - NHL' 94 (Mega Drive)
I thought I'd try this out one evening soon after setting up my MiSTer to see if it was still as good as I remember. I ended up going to bed at 4:30am and having a really shit day the day after. Never again.

1 hour ago, Fallows said:

Ice Hockey - NHL' 94 (Mega Drive)
I thought I'd try this out one evening soon after setting up my MiSTer to see if it was still as good as I remember. I ended up going to bed at 4:30am and having a really shit day the day after. Never again.

We had '93 - my brother and I would still occasionally return to this long after the Saturn/PSX/N64 hit the market. We didn't have much interest in ice hockey outside of gaming (I think the game came with the console) but the simple immediacy of it was a lot of fun. :) I think it's on my RS97 at the moment...

Snowboarding 🏂 

I spent wayyyyy too much time playing the Amped series to choose anything else. Amped and Amped 2 on the original Xbox, then Amped 3 on the 360.

NFL 🏈 

I always liked NFL Fever 2003 on the Xbox, but also have a soft spot for NFL Quarterback Club on the Game Gear. It got slated by the critics at the time though. 

Tennis 🎾 

Virtua Tennis 2 on the Dreamcast. Although, Mario Tennis for Gameboy Color did get played a lot…

It's a mark of the quality of the game that my ex and I used to play Neo Turf Masters tons. She totally got into it. Mind you we had to play it with the sound down as the music got on our nerves. A shame as even she ended up exclaiming "on the gleen!" It's a very accessible golf game.

Olympics — Olympic Games (PS1)
Yeah I know, Track and Field.. but this is a corker. Looks ridiculous but it's stuffed with events - including the dreaded, finger destroying weightlifting!

"Extreme" Sports compilation

It's still California Games, isn't it?

Tennis - Virtua Tennis 2 - Dreamcast

Football - Pro Evo 6 - PS2

Baseball - Baseball Advance - GBA

F1 - GP Legends - PC

Moto GP - Moto GP 2 - Xbox

Darts - Touch Darts - NDS

Snowboarding - Amped 2 - Xbox

Frisbee Golf - Wii Sports Resort - Wii

Archery - Wii Sports Resort - Wii

Bowling - Wii Sports Resort - Wii

Basketball - NBA Jam - Arcade

MMA - UFC Undisputed 3 - X360

Wrestling - Fire Pro Wrestling Returns - PS2

Surfing - California Games - Atari Lynx

Boxing - Fight Night R4 - X360

Decathlon - International Track & Field - PS1

Rally - Dirt Rally 2 - VR

Tennis: Super Tennis on SNES. Still has the best range of shots. Virtua Tennis is just ok. Too limited. 

Special mention for the superb Grand Slam Tennis series. Both are excellent. 

Golf: Neo Turf Masters is amazing and the first game I bought on PS4!

Football: Difficult one. WE 6 final Evolution gets too much love because it's the only one on GC, very good but not the best. 

2010 FIFA World Cup Is absolutely brilliant but the player ratings are rubbish and the squad update is not available. The game feels like PES 7 though. And the audio is unreal. 

So I'm gonna go with PES 5

Ice Hockey: NHL 2002 is the perfect balance between presentation, gameplay and simulation. 

NFL: no idea. 

Snowboarding: probably just 1080 but Amped 1 was mega. 

Sensible World of Soccer

NHL 94

Virtua Tennis

NBA Jam (does this really count though...?)

Nothing else really stands out that I'd still play today. I don't play sports games anymore to be honest. Played loads in the 16 bit era, fair amount on PS1, then just various versions of PES through the PS2 era.

I've never played Neo Turf Masters... I should do something about that.

I think it probably wins by default, yes.

I love Barry McGuigan's but I love Super Punch-out and the Wii version more. Very different games though. Someone will probably go with Hajime No Ippo on the GBA but I've never managed to get into that.

14 hours ago, loathsomeleopard said:

Wrestling has to go to WWE/WWF No Mercy (with the various Fire Pro games a very, very, VERY close second).

Interchangeable. Me and my friends had the most fun on No Mercy, but then there's no denying the pure, objective, class of the Fire Pro games. The SFC, Dreamcast, and PS2 versions being my favourites.