IGNORED

The best game for each sport

Jackson

3 hours ago, Couch Corpse said:

Edit: Is this retro only?

The thing I think is that most sports 'best' game probably is retro. But feel free to put anything that breaks the trend in here. Such as 'Eleven', it's a great suggestion.

Edit: New page so will put the link here too.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1J3QMJb0OKcOUt95ZHCp-XKa7WjJayihhfK6IekoW6f4/edit?usp=sharing

Made everyone's suggestions into a spreadsheet if you want to view / sort / add

Football - Pro Evolution Soccer 4 - PS2

Ice Hockey - NHL '94 - Mega Drive

Baseball - Super Baseball 2020 - Mega Drive

Tennis - Virtua Tennis 3 - PC

Snowboarding - Steep Slope Sliders - Saturn

Basketball - NBA Jam TE - Mega Drive

Boxing - Punch Out!! - NES

Olympics - Track & Field - Arcade

Rally - Sega Rally Championship - Arcade

Nascar - Daytona USA - Arcade

Volleyball - Nekketsu! Beach Volley dayo: Kunio-kun - Game Boy

Dodgeball - Super Dodge Ball - NES

Pool - Side Pocket - Mega Drive

American Football - Blood Bowl II - PC

Skiing - Alpine Racer - Arcade

Winter Olympics - Ski or Die - NES

Portable systems are usually overlooked when it comes to sports games, but I think it has a couple of really great games:

Golf: Nintendo Touch Golf / True Swing Golf —In my view, the best “pure” golf game ever. I’m still surprised that the golf swing mechanic in this game, where you slide the stylus to simulate a stroke, has not been replicated anywhere else. The Tiger Woods DS games or Clap Hanz golf have their own takes, but they’re not nearly as well implemented.

Curling: Curling DS — Very bare bones, but a surprisingly engaging recreation of a slightly boring sport.

Olympics - Daley Thompsons Decathlon (ZX Spectrum

Baseball - World Series Baseball (ZX Spectrum)

Tennis - Final Match (PC Engine)

F1 - Formula One (Playstation)

Table Tennis - Xbox 360

Karate - The Way of the Exploding Fist (ZX Spectrum)

On 01/12/2021 at 21:44, BlackHoodedCrow said:

Snowboarding 🏂 

I spent wayyyyy too much time playing the Amped series to choose anything else. Amped and Amped 2 on the original Xbox, then Amped 3 on the 360.

NFL 🏈 

I always liked NFL Fever 2003 on the Xbox, but also have a soft spot for NFL Quarterback Club on the Game Gear. It got slated by the critics at the time though. 

Tennis 🎾 

Virtua Tennis 2 on the Dreamcast. Although, Mario Tennis for Gameboy Color did get played a lot…

Never tried amped 3 heard a lot of people don't like it for some reason. I liked 1 and 2, though I think there's too many distracting things going on like the camera men shouting at you etc

• 3 weeks later...

I'm no football fan  which probably both negates and explains my choice: International Soccer for the C64. Totally sedate, yet great fun 2-player.

Ss for future sports, well sticking with the C64, Rocketball is an amazing 2-player rendition of the 70s James Caan movie-vehicle, Rollerball.

On 26/12/2021 at 19:40, gunrock said:

I'm no football fan  which probably both negates and explains my choice: International Soccer for the C64. Totally sedate, yet great fun 2-player.

Ss for future sports, well sticking with the C64, Rocketball is an amazing 2-player rendition of the 70s James Caan movie-vehicle, Rollerball.

Wasn't there one on the Spectrum called cyberball or something? Or am I mis-remembering?

22 minutes ago, Rex Grossman said:

An old Atari arcade game – was converted to pretty much everything. Was hard to tell the 2 teams apart on the Spectrum version though.

Might track it down, I played tons. Might have been on my uncle's C64 though. 

I wonder if Pong might be the best video game version of tennis. 

It's obviously not the best simulation of the sport but is arguably the most accessible game which approximates the rules of tennis and it's certainly the game with the most cultural impact. 

On 01/12/2021 at 21:44, BlackHoodedCrow said:

NFL 🏈 

I always liked NFL Fever 2003 on the Xbox, but also have a soft spot for NFL Quarterback Club on the Game Gear. It got slated by the critics at the time though. 

I played it to death on SNES, then played 96 to death when I got that, and then played 98 on N64 to death.  For some reason I never got on with Madden, despite playing many times and many versions.

On 02/12/2021 at 23:43, Sureshot said:

Baseball - Super Baseball 2020 - Mega Drive

This is a port of the Neo Geo one, right? I'm looking for a decent baseball game for someone who doesn't know or care much about the sport beyond the basics so assume the ACA version of this or Baseball Stars 2 is the way to go - any advance on those from anyone? I suppose the argument against those versions is if the arcadeness of them makes them so coin-hungry it ruins the game.

If we are allowing Jam as the best basketball game then NFL Blitz 2000 is my NFL nomination! One of the best multiplayer games ever, along with Beach Spikers as mentioned upthread.

Also in terms of golf games I'd have to go with Everybody's Golf : World Tour on PS3. The advanced swing is lovely, and while the Vita version is very good too, it's too small and fiddly. Never really got the love for Neo Turf Masters, it looks pretty but the cynical arcade mechanics undermine it. I'd put Mario Golf 64 and True Swing DS above it, maybe even Pangya for PSP too.

3 hours ago, Yasawas said:

This is a port of the Neo Geo one, right? I'm looking for a decent baseball game for someone who doesn't know or care much about the sport beyond the basics so assume the ACA version of this or Baseball Stars 2 is the way to go - any advance on those from anyone? I suppose the argument against those versions is if the arcadeness of them makes them so coin-hungry it ruins the game.

I think if you're going into them hoping for anything other than a pick up and play baseball game you'd be disappointed. The arcade nature of these versions shouldn't put you off at all.

7 minutes ago, Yobo Ahoy said:

Best as in cheapest/most convenient? Wii and a ripped GC version.

Oh yeah, just found it. NAOMI2 seems a ballache to emulate, so glad there is an easier way.

Might not be the best but the version of a golf game I enjoyed the most was Tiger Woods 2004 on the PlayStation 2.

I absolutely loved that game, my avatar could have been my clone it was that good and after leveling up a bit I could basically steer the ball into the hole 😂

No other EA golf game has captured me in the way TW2004 did. 

Saying that though Neo Turf Masters, particularly on the Neo Geo Pocket Color is a great shout. 

11 hours ago, Fletch said:

Might not be the best but the version of a golf game I enjoyed the most was Tiger Woods 2004 on the PlayStation 2.

If that's the one I remember I will back you on that. I definitely remember there was one entry on the PS2 where it all came together - the perfect mix of real and actual fun fantasy courses, the right amount and rate of unlockables and so on. Probably not a coincidence it was pretty much their last before DLC was invented!